Forum Regular

To brush or not to brush?

I have a Shure M97xe mounted in a Technics SL-1300 and wondered which is best - brush up or down and why?

It is my understanding the brush is to stabilize the cartridge under unusual conditions, like a warped record, so I would think it's better to not use it unless those unusual conditions make it useful. I had an M97XE for a while and rarely used the brush...just tried it out of curiosity.

In a headphone system, I would avoid the brush due to added noise. But it never bothered me sonically thru speakers. More importantly, the Shure never sounded good to my ears with lower compliant arms. It sounds much better with higher compliant arms like the Technics with aftermarket headshells.

JRA

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If you do not use the brush you do need to adjust tracking force. In my days of Shure cartridges and the AT 440 MLA I would not use brushes or moveable stylus protectors since they add resonances. One of the tweaks for Shure V15 cartridges was the removal of the brush and cementing the remaining stylus assembly in place. Anytime you can reduce a resonance the better the sound.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information