Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Toy: VPI HW-19 Mk4

Took me about an hour to unpack and 30 minutes to setup.
    The dusk cover arrived cracked. It's too bad because the seller packed it extremely well.

Anyhow, the turntable sounds very liquid.
    I've moved all of gear to the back of the room awhile back, so feedback is not an issue.
    Not sure how much the platter weights but it feels like it weighs more than my Technics.

I may call in sick tomorrow.

Have Fun,
    JRA

I like those. What prompted this move?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    An SME arm, I am impressed. Would love to hear it. You are right I need another turntable. Is it the AT 440 mounted in the tonearm? Beautiful!
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I like those. What prompted this move?
    Lack of emotion from the Technics.
    Don't get me wrong I still love the Technics for rock solid sound but I felt that I need to go with a suspended turntable to create fluid sound.
    I'm still keeping one of my SL-1200s to collect dust.

JRA

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Very, very nice. Like Noob said, did we miss that you were looking at an upgrade to your analog side? I did. My Music Hall dealer is also a VPI dealer and he was really hitting me with the hard sell for a Scout. Give us some more details when you can tear yourself away from that beautiful piece of equipment. Congrats.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    An SME arm, I am impressed. Would love to hear it. You are right I need another turntable. Is it the AT 440 mounted in the tonearm? Beautiful!
    I've had the SME for a while on my Technics SL-1200mk2.
    When I found the original Mk4 with SME mount, I didn't hestitate to grab one.
    I'm still keeping the stock SL-1210mk5G for future mods. But I think the SME looks better on this TT. You have a great arm so if I was in your position, I would spend your entire budget on a TT with Rega mount.
    I really like the AT 440mla. It tracks nicely. I don't really hear the problematic surface noise everyone talks about. I have a LOMC on its way, but I may just keep the AT on for a while.

Have Fun,
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Very, very nice. Like Noob said, did we miss that you were looking at an upgrade to your analog side? I did. My Music Hall dealer is also a VPI dealer and he was really hitting me with the hard sell for a Scout. Give us some more details when you can tear yourself away from that beautiful piece of equipment. Congrats.
    Thanks.
    I've been eyeing the Mk4 for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger fast enough.
    It gets grabbed pretty fast. It was a hard decision though. I couldn't decide between the AVID Volvere, Acoustics Solid Challenger, and Pro-Ject RM10.1. With money saved over mentioned 3, I decided to get a LOMC and phono preamp from Audiogon. I think I did good.

Does your dealer have the original Scout or the new Scout with an aluminum platter and tapered tonearm? I have yet to hear the Scout2 and I really wanted to get it over the Mk4, but I felt I needed a suspended TT since I already have non-suspended decks. We always need something different, you know? Sounds like your dealer isn't pushing you hard enough...

Thanks again,
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

I really like the AT 440mla. It tracks nicely. I don't really hear the problematic surface noise everyone talks about. I have a LOMC on its way, but I may just keep the AT on for a while.

Have Fun,
    JRA
    Congrats on the new table JR. I've always wanted a VPI. This one looks like it's in very nice condition, too bad 'bout the lid.

The 440 is a fantastic tracking cartridge, I've yet to hear any break up on anything I've thrown at it. As far as the surface noise goes, I don't hear any excess or exaggerated noise levels on mine.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Thanks.
    I've been eyeing the Mk4 for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger fast enough.
    It gets grabbed pretty fast. It was a hard decision though. I couldn't decide between the AVID Volvere, Acoustics Solid Challenger, and Pro-Ject RM10.1. With money saved over mentioned 3, I decided to get a LOMC and phono preamp from Audiogon. I think I did good.

Does your dealer have the original Scout or the new Scout with an aluminum platter and tapered tonearm? I have yet to hear the Scout2 and I really wanted to get it over the Mk4, but I felt I needed a suspended TT since I already have non-suspended decks. We always need something different, you know? Sounds like your dealer isn't pushing you hard enough...

Thanks again,
    JRA
    He had an original setup in one room, but it was heavily moded out. He's good, because he always takes your old stuff back in trade. Are you going to get another dust cover?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Nice JRA....I think I would be calling off work as well. She sure is a looker. I betcha she sounds just as nice. So whats the rest of your setup now? And what kinda cables do you use with your TT?

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    The 440 is a fantastic tracking cartridge, I've yet to hear any break up on anything I've thrown at it. As far as the surface noise goes, I don't hear any excess or exaggerated noise levels on mine.
    It really is a good cartridge. You can grab one for not much more than $100, so I think it's one of the best value in audio. I don't have to worry about LP condition and still get excellent sound. Unplayable LP is different, but unplayed LP is just a waste, you know?

Thanks,
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    He had an original setup in one room, but it was heavily moded out. He's good, because he always takes your old stuff back in trade. Are you going to get another dust cover?
    The shipper will be working with FedEx to recover the cost. I hope he'll be able to work on it promptly. The replacement seems to be around $160 from VPI. I may just get one before they discontinue the item.

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Nice JRA....I think I would be calling off work as well. She sure is a looker. I betcha she sounds just as nice. So whats the rest of your setup now? And what kinda cables do you use with your TT?

frenchmon
    Hey Frenchie,
    I'm using the orignal VDH 501 cable supplied with the SME.
    It offers nice RFI/EMI shield and great connection.
    I've thought about getting a pair of Furutech AG-12, but the VDH works just fine so I think it'll stick with it.

Here is my current gear from my profile.

Speakers
    *Tyler Acoustics Linbrook II
    *Modded Magnepan MMG

Preamp/Amps
    *Sonic Euphoria PLC
    *Legend Audio Design Linestage
    *Tim Rawson Aleph5 Monoblocks
    *Mr. Liang KT88 Integrated Amp

Phono Preamp
    *VTL TP-2.5
    *Hagerman Cornet 2 w. heavy mods.
    *ISOkinetik B1
    *K&K Premium MC Step-Up (LL1931)

Analog Source
    *VPI HW-19 Mk4
    *SME 309
    *Technics SL-1200 mk2 with SME mount
    *Technics SL-12105G (Stock)
    *Edmund Optics M6 Sorbothane Feet
    *Composite Products Anti-Vibration CF-2010

Cartridges
    *Benz Micro L2
    *Lyra Clavis
    *Transfiguration Temper Supreme
    *Denon DL-110
    *Audio Technica 440MLa
    *Shure M97E

Digital Source
    *Marantz SA-8001
    *ISOkinetik B1

Power Conditioner
    *Versalab Wood Blocks (Phono Pre and CDP)

Headphone Setup
    *Audio Technica ATH-AD1000
    *G3 Phenix OTL Headphone Amp
    *Aune Mini USB DAC Headphone Amp
    *Audio gd NFB-12

I'm playing some hard hitting hiphop right now, and the depth of bass and its control is excellent. I basically got this TT to play Jazz and Classical, but it doesn't seem to be picky on musical genres. I'll post a review once my initial excitement wears off.

Have Fun,
    JRA

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Wow, nice toy!! Damn it looks nice. Welcome to "Club Suspended" where Analog Ave. ends. Just sell the 1200 cuz you won't be going back to that sound for critical listening, i can promise you. A good idea would be to set up the 1200 as part of a ripping chain, into a comp or laptop.

I would suggest doing some close listening around your weight. A familiar LP with it on and off. Most suspended designers frown on weights. If you must have it, make sure you level the suspension WITH the weight ON.

I am a bit envious, but only a bit. Hey nice SACD player...

This sweetheart of a turntable is officially the Analog Room's big news to beat for 2011.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    mmmmmmmm tasty! i had an hwIII/sme IV for a while. had it been with your arm, i would still have it. i DO prefer a removable headshell so i can easily swap headshells/carts. when i played kraftwerk's 'autobahn' on it, i finally GOT the record. that is i more appreciated it as prior to that i had found it only lukewarm as compared to say-electric cafe. with the vpi it became more vital.

i see the ring, is it the ttweights or vpi ? i might be on the hunt for a good mc for affordable money were i you. this is an arm that would get the most from a mc. an oc9, or as john elison just stated on AA, his denon DL-S1 from comet supply (the price is super!, its just been a long wait for him as with others who may have gone another route by now). the sme will however extract the best a 440 can deliver.

http://www.cometsupply.com/pm/DNNDLS1/

its not that i dont like the 440, i was one of the first users, but that denon would be a real step up.

jack-if the scout isnt significantly less than the classic, i might suggest the classic but its not my money.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    mmmmmmmm tasty! i had an hwIII/sme IV for a while. had it been with your arm, i would still have it. i DO prefer a removable headshell so i can easily swap headshells/carts. when i played kraftwerk's 'autobahn' on it, i finally GOT the record. that is i more appreciated it as prior to that i had found it only lukewarm as compared to say-electric cafe. with the vpi it became more vital.

i see the ring, is it the ttweights or vpi ? i might be on the hunt for a good mc for affordable money were i you. this is an arm that would get the most from a mc. an oc9, or as john elison just stated on AA, his denon DL-S1 from comet supply (the price is super!, its just been a long wait for him as with others who may have gone another route by now). the sme will however extract the best a 440 can deliver.

http://www.cometsupply.com/pm/DNNDLS1/

its not that i dont like the 440, i was one of the first users, but that denon would be a real step up.

jack-if the scout isnt significantly less than the classic, i might suggest the classic but its not my money.
    He had a demo Classic that he was trying to get me to bite on for $1900. It had a Shelter 201 cart mounted on it. I wasn't familar with the cart, so I passed. The Scout was $1800 and he was going to throw in either a Dynavector or Grado cart and I don't remember the models.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Thanks guys,

Poppa - Where the analogue avenue ends? In this hobby? I hope not but I can assure you I got a huge smile. That's a great advise on added weight on suspended designs. I don't always use the periphery ring or clamper/weights.
    I only use it when I need to. Plus the platter weighs +/- 20lbs so I'm not too concerned about added 500grams. I'm will be selling the Technics I used, but I'll be hanging on to the Mk5G.

Noob,
    Thanks man. I'm interested in getting sorbothane isolator, SAMA, and some brass cones, but I think I'll just enjoy the deck as is. Do you have experience with one of the HW-19s?

Tommy,
    I bet the SME VI was one hell on an arm. But as you stated, what sold me on the 309 was the removable headshell. I'm sure the arm's rigidity has been sacrificed a bit, but I doubt I'll ever be able to tell the difference.
    As for the cartridge, I think the AT works just fine. It doesn't have the air LOMC offers, but considering the cost, I think this is a compromise I can easily live with.
    But I do prefer LOMC over MM carts. I got a NOS Benz Micro L2 on its way, but currently snowed in at Branson MO. I hope to have it by next weekend. Even if it doesn't work out, I still have 2 other LOMC to play with.

Have fun,
    JRA

Noob,
    Thanks man. I'm interested in getting sorbothane isolator, SAMA, and some brass cones, but I think I'll just enjoy the deck as is. Do you have experience with one of the HW-19s?
    Just an admirer. I toyed with the idea of buying one with no arm when I was shopping for my current turntable. I still look whenever I see an ad for one.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Wow, nice toy!! Damn it looks nice. Welcome to "Club Suspended" where Analog Ave. ends. Just sell the 1200 cuz you won't be going back to that sound for critical listening, i can promise you. A good idea would be to set up the 1200 as part of a ripping chain, into a comp or laptop.

I would suggest doing some close listening around your weight. A familiar LP with it on and off. Most suspended designers frown on weights. If you must have it, make sure you level the suspension WITH the weight ON.

I am a bit envious, but only a bit. Hey nice SACD player...
    what do you mean critical listening??? That ends after you decided that was what you where looking for...after that its all just pleasurable music...being moved by the tunes...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Took me about an hour to unpack and 30 minutes to setup.
    The dusk cover arrived cracked. It's too bad because the seller packed it extremely well.

Anyhow, the turntable sounds very liquid.
    I've moved all of gear to the back of the room awhile back, so feedback is not an issue.
    Not sure how much the platter weights but it feels like it weighs more than my Technics.

I may call in sick tomorrow.

Have Fun,
    JRA
    Just thought I'd bump this to the top...it's so purty!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hot damn, holy shizzle...Jayra got a new toy! I don't know how I missed this thread but nice work my friend. That looks like a splendid purveyor of black wax...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thanks MAYN!!

Hey Frenchie,
    What's the status on your MMF-7.1? A curious mind wants to know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information