AR Newbie Registered Member

Ever hear of ACOUSTIC REFERENCE STUDIO MONItors?

Ever hear of ACOUSTIC REFERENCE STUDIO MONITORS? I have acquired a "Goodwill Special" of Acoustic Reference Series1201's, circa 1995. They say Made in the USA but some research I have done states they could be UK. One link took me to Acoustic Energy, but they politely denied ever having owned this company. I have managed to hook them up one at a time to an old system from (excuse me) Radio Shack. The speakers are NOT located where I have any good equipment. However, they have a powerful sound and can be adjusted for mid-range, etc. I wish to get any background I can get and some idea as to pricing for insurance. eBay only had two sales; one just under $100 for a pair and one about $150.00. One seller claimed he had paid close to $450.00 originally. ANY links, news, comments are welcome!

Sounds like a white van speaker to me, but who knows?

Yes, those are the white van speakers. If you paid over $15 for the pair, you got ripped off.

AR Newbie Registered Member

"White Van" Speakers - Acoustic Reference Monitors

undefinedundefined
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Yes, those are the white van speakers. If you paid over $15 for the pair, you got ripped off.
    WHOOPS! If you mean "white van" are the characters who pull up in a parking lot, announce that there has been an overstock of really expensive speakers, and produce a van full of impressive looking speakers for the low, low price of $800 a pair ("rather than the usual $2-3,000 a pair" ) then, indeed I did get stuck at $80 for the pair from Goodwill. However, my research on auction sites and dealer sites showed these speakers came from a real company. They have sold for $80 and up. They sound OK. Nothing spectacular, but quite lively and bright. If I could locate the receipt, Goodwill would take them back! Any other ideas to save my face and pocketbook? Especially if that darn receipt continues to elude me?

Stick 'em in your garage and rock out. At least you'll have some tunes while you're working on the toys or in the yard. They're $2 drivers in a box. If you can't return them, just use them until they die.

Thread Information