Thread: The next move?

Forum Regular

The next move?

Recently got a Jolida 502brc (stock tubes), new Denon DL160 on an old Technics SLD 202, and found a used Onkyo Integra P3030 pre-amp to connect all. Using Forte speakers. Major upgrade from before and have no real reason to complain but thinking the pre-amp might be the weak link.
    The Onkyo has multiple mc/mm settings but they all sound dull vs the 75EQ setting. Not sure what that setting is intended for.
    Next move? pre-amp? different tubes? burn it all?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Not familiar with your Onkyo preamp or that particular model turntable. My understanding is that you have to give the DL-160 a little time to break in. Where'd you get it, btw?

Anyhow the Denon should be compatable with most mm phono preamp/sections. Although its output is rated kinda low for high output mc (1.6mv I think), its real world output is closer to 2.2mv according to needledoctor.com. A healthy output mm section is probably best. See if you can find the Onkyo preamp specs or manual online if you don't have the manual.

I'd drop a cd player in your setup to see if you like the overall sound using both the line level input on the Jolida and the Onkyo. This might give you some ideas about narrowing down the problem areas. I wouldn't go tube-rolling just yet. Wait until you think you've maximized your vinyl playback then have at it. I have the Jolida 202. I've done some tube rolling and its fun. Changes are apparent - more sparkle in the highs and tighter, more extended bass, but it's still the same animal.

If you find that your problem lies with the Onkyo preamp, then start looking around for a dedicated phono preamp. I started off with the Bellari then Jolida's JD9. I run both. The Bellari's output is a little low for high output mc if your setup's in a big room. I found it very nice when my system was in a small bedroom. When I moved the system into a much larger room I switched to an mm cart with an output of 5.0mv. The Jolida's output is almost too high. I'm still trying to tame it. I'm thinking that DL-160 would be perfect for it. Where'd you get yours? Did I ask that already?

Forum Regular
    got the DL 160 on ebay from William Thakker's shop in Germany, couldn't find one anywhere else. I have thought about the CD player test and need to do that before making another move on a preamp.
    I have wondered about the JD9 and a few others (black cube, Nano) and will have to make a deaf choice eventually.
    What tubes do you like the best? i feel like the mid highs and highs aren't as clean and sparkly as i imagined in my head before all this but both the tubes and cartridge are still pretty fresh.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paddler
    got the DL 160 on ebay from William Thakker's shop in Germany, couldn't find one anywhere else. I have thought about the CD player test and need to do that before making another move on a preamp.
    I have wondered about the JD9 and a few others (black cube, Nano) and will have to make a deaf choice eventually.
    What tubes do you like the best? i feel like the mid highs and highs aren't as clean and sparkly as i imagined in my head before all this but both the tubes and cartridge are still pretty fresh.
    My 202 may have a different tube set. I have 12AX7 preamp tubes and 12AT7 driver tubes. I swapped the 12AX7 first. I found a pair of old RCA 7025 that I loved but they didn't have as much life as I expected. Now I'm running a pair of old RCA 12AX7. These added sparkle and extended the top end. (The 7025s had a touch more magic than the regular 12AX7s. I miss those.)

Next, I replaced the 12AT7 with old RCAs. These tightened up the bass.

I got the old RCAs by blind luck. A guy I bought a vintage microphone from happened to have them. I tried researching new old stock tubes a couple of years ago. I don't have the time nor the money to search out NOS tubes.

Finally, I replaced the EL 34 with a new production set of SED "Winged C" (or "flying C"). I was skeptical because even though they have the winged C logo, they were Ruby branded. (If I had known this when I ordered, I probably would've passed.) Anyhow, they did add clarity to the midrange but did not add the presence I expected. One blew (and blew my fuse) so now I'm running a pair of the original Chinese tubes that came with the amp and a pair of the winged C mirrored on each side. I'm considering a quad of the fat bottle EH 6CA7.

Start with your preamp tubes. New production Tungsols, Mullards and Sovtek 12AX7LPS are readily available. I have the new Mullards in my cd player and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS in my phono stage - still getting used to them. I'll probably try the new Tungsol 12AX7 as preamp tubes when my RCAs die. JJ is coming out with some interesting reissues. I believe they're making the Genalex reissue tubes now, but I may be wrong. Look for online comments regarding quality control if you find that JJ is making Genalex preamp tubes. Early reports are that they sound great, but JJ has had some qc problems with other tubes recently.

Thread Information