Forum Regular

MC 2200 w/ C26 pre amp?

cant find many reviews of the MC 2200 compared to other models, any input on this combo appreciated. the goal is a two channel vinyl system with Klipsch Forte speakers..worth $1500 for both or wait for something else? (something else recs appreciated also).

Forum Regular
    bump.

I don't know much about them, but the price certainly seems high.

Chicago IL
    Yeah I think the price is pretty high! For 1K it will be fine but 1.5K is too much! Do you want to stick to Mcintosh or other brands will be fine? Are you looking for a power amp and a preamp or a receiver?

I would say that I would definitely make sure that it is in top shape seeing that this amp has been around a while and while I have heard several mcintosh setups some sounding good other not so much they seem to do well with brighter sounding speakers like b&w and the like. The speakers you are running would be fine as far a power goes with this amp since they are quite efficient and this amp puts out ample power and with the horn setup I would think it would work together fine. I would agree with others on this that the price seems a tad high and there are a lot of options in the used market at your price range. I would shop around and make sure that is the amp for you before pulling the trigger

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Yeah I think the price is pretty high! For 1K it will be fine but 1.5K is too much! Do you want to stick to Mcintosh or other brands will be fine? Are you looking for a power amp and a preamp or a receiver?

i have no brand loyalties or system plans. Starting the search for a new amp and/or preamp. I am thinking vintage will get me more bang for the buck over new. Never even heard one but i seem attracted to Mac, maybe for the supposed good match w/ Klipsch or maybe the pretty blue lights.

there are a plethora of brands of equipment out there that I believe would work fine with your Forte. Mr Peabody that is a mainstay on this site has a pair of Klipsch as one of the speakers he uses in his system to switch around from his normal Dyaudio speakers and he said that his Conrad Johnson tube preamp and amps drove them great. I heard them while at his home on his second system being drove with a Bryston amp with a Emotiva usp 1 preamp which is way more affordable gear than his CJ stuff and the Klipsch's seemed to do very well there as well. I think you need to find out what kind of presentation you want from your Forte's and go that direction. Do you want the exactness and detail and bass drive of Solid State, or the more warm laid back presence of tubes. I have heard Klipsch both ways and it seems that most people choose tube to drive them. but on the Flip side of that I drive a pair years ago with my adcom 545 series 2 which to me is not a bright Solid state amp and they sounded great with it and used adcom amps are very inexpensive used. I would do some studying and find out what it out there and possibly go to some shops and tell them what speakers you have and that its going to be a vinyl system and see what direction they take you. But I will say that an all tube system will be more money for good stuff than Solid state.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by paddler
    cant find many reviews of the MC 2200 compared to other models, any input on this combo appreciated. the goal is a two channel vinyl system with Klipsch Forte speakers..worth $1500 for both or wait for something else? (something else recs appreciated also).
    It depends upon your objectives. 35 to 42 old Mac components are not going to give you anywhere near the best sound for that budget. Solid state technology has come quite a way since then. And they would most certainly require maintenance to replace all the aging caps. If you seek the best sound quality, then you have lots of options if not blue lights. You most likely don't need 400 watts to drive Klipsch horn loaded speakers either. I would opt for a modern integrated tube amp and phono stage.

rw

Thread Information