Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Jump into the Fire...VPI 16.5

Hey everyone. I guess I will start by updating my fellow audio brothers on a couple of things.

First of all, I am sure some of you are wondering how it is that I am hemmoraging cash at a warp speed rate. Well...I did not win a lottery. I actually switched jobs, more specifically, i was stolen. I now know how these CEO's feel. I got a small "package" on the way out, and a really nice signing bonus at my new digs.

Now, the second part of recent developments is that my wife is pregnant yet again (I know). After putting cash into all of the usual places a young family does, I decided to budget some for the last "push".

Since I actually have a plan, I could see how far I was from completion. After this...I AM DONE!! The problem will be, if I upgrade any one component, the synergy will be toppled. Besides, I'm not sure I have the cash to move any further in this hobby. I think I have reached my plateau.

So, I have a couple of things left to pick up. After that, the question becomes...what do you get the guy who has it all?

You got it...a record cleaning machine. I have finally crossed that "line" and feel I am ready to buy one. Up to this point, I could never part with the cash. I want a VPI 16.5. So after all of that rappin', I guess what I want to know is how you guys feel about it.

Talk me out of it, talk me into it. Maybe another avenue? One thing is for sure, I am absolutely sick of hand cleaning. I have some LPs which I know would benefit from the machine. They are perfect, undamaged...yet don't sound clean. Deep cleaning is the answer.

Nitty Gritty has some nice offerings, but I like the idea of the LP resting fully on a full sized platter.

Chicago IL
    Congrats for the pregnant wife Popa! What do you want a boy or a girl?

Congrats for the new job or promotion you got! It is good when only good things are happening!

I just checked the VPI 16.5 and it looks great to me! Buy it and forget about cleaning the records yourself!

Hey Pops...

Good for you my man!

First...congrats on the new addition to the family....teach him or her the art of audio.

Second...congrats on the new gig. We can always use the extra cash.

Third...maybe Peabody will chime in here about the VPI record cleaner. If memory serves me right, MrP said the thing was really noisy.

Lastly....new gig....new addition...new and moded gear....I think this is your time...yeah....you the man.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Congrats on your future new baby and your new job. Best of luck for you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Third...maybe Peabody will chime in here about the VPI record cleaner. If memory serves me right, MrP said the thing was really noisy.
    Yes they are notoriously noisy. Thanks for the love...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Should we call you Poppa x3? Gee and I thought you spent all your time posting. Congrats on the future addition. I always wanted a little girl. I was afraid if I had a boy he would like sports. Oh and when he began dating girls I would have to have my younger brother give him advice.

Wow a record cleaning machine, good for you, go for it. If I bought a lot of used records I would want one. Being old I have a lot of vinyl already. I am going to order that $80.00 dollar unit and if I am impressed I may invest more.

Right now I am impressed by my new maple stand and the improvements it has made to my system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jump into the Fire...VPI 16.5-004-new-stand-small.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    I believe I read some where that VPI made some mods so that the machine was quieter now. The 16.5 does an excellent job of cleaning. Some LP's get those small scratches that cause pops and there's nothing to do about that. It has a strong motor. I've had mine for several years now and it's worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Should we call you Poppa x3? Gee and I thought you spent all your time posting. Congrats on the future addition. I always wanted a little girl. I was afraid if I had a boy he would like sports. Oh and when he began dating girls I would have to have my younger brother give him advice.

Wow a record cleaning machine, good for you, go for it. If I bought a lot of used records I would want one. Being old I have a lot of vinyl already. I am going to order that $80.00 dollar unit and if I am impressed I may invest more.

Right now I am impressed by my new maple stand and the improvements it has made to my system.
    Nice stand JM....as well as a handsome looking system....clean lines. Whats that on the lower right? Looks like a CDP? Or perhaps your Onkyo? I don't see it in your sig.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Nice stand JM....as well as a handsome looking system....clean lines. Whats that on the lower right? Looks like a CDP? Or perhaps your Onkyo? I don't see it in your sig.

On top to the left is the Marantz SA 8001 and on the right is my Frankenrega with the Gram Amp 3 in the center. On the lower shelf to the left is the Sony cd recorder/changer and on the right is the Krell S-300i integrated amp. The weight and stability of the stand really helped improve the sound more than I thought a stand might. Lots of maple and Amish woodworking skills along with a cherry stain created that stand. Thanks for the compliment.

Oh and now I have drawers for all those small audio accessories.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Congrates, Congrates, Congrates, PoppaC.

I'm interested in a vacuum RCM too. Hope you don't mind if I listen in.

Goodluck in all your endeavors.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

Forum Regular
    PC, the VPI is excellent. I have been using mine for over a decade. BTW, you get my vote for the most interesting poster here.

Quote Originally Posted by tube fan
    PC, the VPI is excellent. I have been using mine for over a decade. BTW, you get my vote for the most interesting poster here.

He does have a certain je ne sais quoi!
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    PC would be a lot of fun to hang with. IMO, this hobby is about having fun, and I doubt many can match PC in the fun quotient!

¡felicidades on the new baby! cleaning all that junk by hand must be brutal, you owe it to yourself and your 8th cranial nerve to purchase a professional cleaner. it'd be neat for you to post a few "before" and "after" cleaning samples, specially of your dirtiest grooves. ¡hasta luego!

Thanks guys!! I hope to have the VPI within the next week or so...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Thanks guys!! I hope to have the VPI within the next week or so...
    Hey PC...seems like you got an endless supply of coin over there...so if you want you can get two and send one this way.

On the real tho....once again congrats my man.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    On top to the left is the Marantz SA 8001 and on the right is my Frankenrega with the Gram Amp 3 in the center. On the lower shelf to the left is the Sony cd recorder/changer and on the right is the Krell S-300i integrated amp. The weight and stability of the stand really helped improve the sound more than I thought a stand might. Lots of maple and Amish woodworking skills along with a cherry stain created that stand. Thanks for the compliment.

Oh and now I have drawers for all those small audio accessories.
    Yeah I know what you mean by weight and stability improving the sound. Every bit of your gear including the stand is a factor in the sound.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

+10

poppachubby rocks!
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

Late getting to this thread...

Congrats Poppa!! Love hearing good news that happen to good people!!!

Hows the Nagaoka treating you? What music is it really singing on?

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome
    Late getting to this thread...

Congrats Poppa!! Love hearing good news that happen to good people!!!

Hows the Nagaoka treating you? What music is it really singing on?
    Thanks man! The real question is how is YOUR Nag? I love just about everything I play on it, but guitars and high frequency horns like trumpets are incredible. It also does vocals exceptionally well, not just sonically but in presentation.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    of all places to find something of actual use is 'sound and vision' magazine. that is where i found info in the okki nokki rcm. distrubuted through sumiko, see these links for this affordable but seemingly formidable device.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/okki_nokki/idx_products.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p9Q-...eature=related
    ...regards...tr

PC would be a lot of fun to hang with. IMO, this hobby is about having fun, and I doubt many can match PC in the fun quotient!

oh, amen to that

Congrats Poppa! sure it'll be a wonderful kid

and I've been longing for a good cleaning machine too, I have a "disco antistat" cleaner, which is VERY similar to the "machine" JM wants to try. a simple bath for your record with 2 brushes inside, through which you turn the record...

It makes a huge difference on dirty uncleaned records, but recently, I had a chance to clean some of my more precious records with a friend's Loricraft RCM...
    needless to say I want one now but the darned things are so expensive!

anyway, the VPI is an excellent machine, and they last a lifetime!
    congrats! (again)

Regards,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Congratulations on your good fortune PC. That RCM hifitommy posted about may be worth investigating.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Congrats!!

You should be set for at least 20 years on this unit.

Thread Information