Forum Regular

What size 55 or 60 led & weight

In the market for a LED HDTV.
    Had decided on a 60" but not sure if that would be too big. Or should I get a 55" which is also a much lower price. Will be sitting about 13 ft. away when watching.

Also will wall hang this and looking at the sony Leds it looks like a 55" weighs about 50 lbs. but a 60" jumps way up to 110 lbs. Check 2 different web sites. Could this be right.

Thanks for any suggestions

Have you considered a plasma? Apparently they still have the best picture. They're cheaper, too.
    If you're mainly watching HD content then you can safely go with a 60". In fact, with a 60" full HD screen you could theoretically sit up to 7 feet away, according to THX.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    If you're mainly watching HD content then you can safely go with a 60". In fact, with a 60" full HD screen you could theoretically sit up to 7 feet away, according to THX.

Remembers being a kid and having mom scold me for sitting too closely to the TV. Gotta love modern technology.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rayh78
    In the market for a LED HDTV.
    Had decided on a 60" but not sure if that would be too big. Or should I get a 55" which is also a much lower price. Will be sitting about 13 ft. away when watching.

Also will wall hang this and looking at the sony Leds it looks like a 55" weighs about 50 lbs. but a 60" jumps way up to 110 lbs. Check 2 different web sites. Could this be right.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Dont know why, might be a typo.
    Plasma is a lot heavier than LCD. WALMART has a display of LED sets, good prices.
    Heard a report that a 55" led will be under a grand soon, prices are dropping fast.
    Samsung are more expensive, but the led scheme in them is better than Sonys,
    who edge light their LED sets. Samsungs do have an amazing picture, IMHO.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Remembers being a kid and having mom scold me for sitting too closely to the TV. Gotta love modern technology.
    hehe. I'm still a kid (somewhat) and i just purchased a 50" plasma for my bedroom. My mom has already asked a couple times 'are you sure you're not too close to that screen?'

My sofa is 10 feet away from the screen, which is ideal distance (the screen has 768p resolution).

Cool

And one more thing to consider is pole mount. I have that and it works very well.
    You don't have to tear up drywall, and the set rotates.
    JUST SOMETHING ELSE TO CONSIDER.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Are you sure that the 55" and 60" sets are both part of the same model lineup? That big a weight difference would indicate to me that the larger set adds something else outside of the bigger screen size. Also, what price difference are you looking at between those two sets?

Have you considered a plasma? Apparently they still have the best picture. They're cheaper, too.
    But, if weight is a consideration, the plasmas are definitely a lot heavier at comparable sizes.

That viewing distance recommended by THX has nothing to do with safety (unlike the old days when our parents warned us about staying too close to a TV because of "radiation"). It has to do with the minimum distance at which the pixel lines are no longer visible. Using this criteria, the viewing distances for 1080p TVs are closer than 768p TVs. Here's a chart that shows the sliding scale at which the differences between resolutions become visible, depending on screen size and viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    But, if weight is a consideration, the plasmas are definitely a lot heavier at comparable sizes.
    My 50" plasma is 23kg, about the same weight as the 50" LED TV he mentionned.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    That viewing distance recommended by THX has nothing to do with safety (unlike the old days when our parents warned us about staying too close to a TV because of "radiation"). It has to do with the minimum distance at which the pixel lines are no longer visible. Using this criteria, the viewing distances for 1080p TVs are closer than 768p TVs. Here's a chart that shows the sliding scale at which the differences between resolutions become visible, depending on screen size and viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
    Not sure what you're trying to say? I wasn't refering to radiation when talking about distances, and the chart confirms what I said.

Thread Information