Forum Regular

Subwoofer not coming on automatically?

In the system I have in my office, I have an older Velodyne sub (I believe it's a CHT-10), connected to an Onkyo TX-SR700. The sub is set to come on automatically when a signal is detected. It's hooked up from the subwoofer "out" on the receiver. However, it usually doesn't come on right away.

Usually when I'm playing music, I have to turn the sub's power off. Then I have to wait at least ten seconds, then turn it back on. Usually then the sub comes on right away after this. It still sounds and works well otherwise.

Any ideas what would be causing this? It's just sort of an annoyance more than anything.

Suspended
    I had a similar situation with my Outlaw LFM-1. I turned up the gain from my receiver's sub out and turned down the volume on my sub to compensate...problem solved!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    I had a similar situation with my Outlaw LFM-1. I turned up the gain from my receiver's sub out and turned down the volume on my sub to compensate...problem solved!
    Yeah, that's essentially what I did, except I use a separate electronic crossover for convenience since I have a separate preamp and amp. The subwoofer seems to need a certain minimum voltage level to turn on automatically, so I turned down the subwoofer level and turned up the level on the Mirage electronic crossover to compensate. Works fine.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    Bingo, there is the answer.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    In the system I have in my office, I have an older Velodyne sub (I believe it's a CHT-10), connected to an Onkyo TX-SR700. The sub is set to come on automatically when a signal is detected. It's hooked up from the subwoofer "out" on the receiver. However, it usually doesn't come on right away.

Usually when I'm playing music, I have to turn the sub's power off. Then I have to wait at least ten seconds, then turn it back on. Usually then the sub comes on right away after this. It still sounds and works well otherwise.

Any ideas what would be causing this? It's just sort of an annoyance more than anything.
    Just set it to stay on all the time. I HAVE ALWAYS done that, irritating when the sub goes on and off, you can hear it kick in. Turn it off if you will be away for a while.
    BTW I recently cannibalized a CHT 8 that I have to use the plate amp for my much better
    B&W. What a piece of junk. Found out it vibrated and broke up at higher output
    probably because of the hunk of plastic between the amp and driver. THING WAS
    SHAPED LIKE THE HORN FROM A KLIPSCH SPEAKER! Sounded better than it had a
    right to.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Actually Velodyne recommends a Y connector on some of their models as the signal on one side may not be strong enough to be detected.

Forum Regular
    I guess if changing the gain structure as mentioned above doesn't take care of the problem, then the Y cable would be worth a try too.
    Tim Evans
    East Street Audio
    Onix, Melody, & ACA

Forum Regular
    Velodyne even includes a free Y cable ( female to two males ) with some of their subs.

Thread Information