Thread: Hdmi 1.4

Hdmi 1.4

As I understand it, the HDMI 1.4 spec adds networking capabilites to the mix. So far, we've had HDMI cables certified to different versions (1.3a, 1.3b etc). I have not seen any 'HDMI 1.4 spec' cables of yet. Does this mean this v1.4 update is only implemented in the hardware and does not bring change to the cables?
    Or in other words, can v1.3 spec cables be used for for v1.4 uses and more importantly, can they be used for 3D viewing?

Good question. My projectors have cables running to them through the walls and celings. I'm not going to change those any time soon.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

the changes are in the cables too I think, well, "changes", it'll look the same...

The 1.4 standard will offer 2 new ports though, a small one, to be integrated on small devices like smartphones etc, and a "medium size" one, primarily for use in automotive products. The standard version, that we all find on our AV gear, will not physically change. I also presume that the gear is "downwards compatible", so you don't necessarily have to use HDM 1.4, but you can use the "old" 1.3 (a -> c). (well, I hope so),

but, I don't see a reason for HDMI 1.4 on purely visual gear, like a projector. So no need to break up the walls yet
    btw, I read HDMI 1.4 supports a larger resolution (2k), which is strange, because my Konig HDMI 1.3c cable supports that, and 3D too...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Hey Bert, what i'm really wondering is if 1.3 can play 3D. I believe v1.4 supports up to 4k resolution @ 24Hz.

GM, you should be able to pass the new cable by taping it to the old one on one side of the old cable and pulling it through. Unless it hits something on the way and gets stuck...

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Hey Bert, what i'm really wondering is if 1.3 can play 3D. I believe v1.4 supports up to 4k resolution @ 24Hz.

GM, you should be able to pass the new cable by taping it to the old one on one side of the old cable and pulling it through. Unless it hits something on the way and gets stuck...
    The builder thought he was doing me a favor by strapping the "excess cable" to the 2x4 structure. There will be no pulling through.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The builder thought he was doing me a favor by strapping the "excess cable" to the 2x4 structure. There will be no pulling through.

ah, what's wrong with a little hole in your ceiling...

@ AA: It says so on the folder included with my cable...

it's a "high speed" HDMI 1.3c cable...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Cool

Good question. My projectors have cables running to them through the walls and celings. I'm not going to change those any time soon.
    DOESNT sound like it would be worth the trouble...
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Yes HDMI 1.3 can pass 3D, but the audio will not pass through a 1.3 rated receiver in the presence of a 3D signal, and the player will not recognize the television set when passed through a 1.3 rated receiver.

The best way to implement 3D with older HDMI receivers is to buy a Panny 3D player with two HDMI outs. One goes directly to the set, the other(sans the 3D signal) will go to the receiver.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

So... is there any way to get audio + 3D through the same cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Yes HDMI 1.3 can pass 3D, but the audio will not pass through a 1.3 rated receiver in the presence of a 3D signal, and the player will not recognize the television set when passed through a 1.3 rated receiver.

The best way to implement 3D with older HDMI receivers is to buy a Panny 3D player with two HDMI outs. One goes directly to the set, the other(sans the 3D signal) will go to the receiver.
    Could I get 3D from a PS3 to a 3D rated receiver through a 1.4 cable and then send the 3D video from that receiver to a projector through a 1.3 cable?

Could I get 3D from a PS3 to a 3D rated receiver through a 1.4 cable and then send the 3D video from that receiver to a projector through a 1.3 cable?
    Yes you can GM
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

So... is there any way to get audio + 3D through the same cable?
    Absolutely. With a 3D player, and HDMI 1.4 rated receiver. Or you can send both the audio and 3D video directly to a 3D set without passing the audio through the receiver.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Absolutely. With a 3D player, and HDMI 1.4 rated receiver.
    Using a 1.3 cable? Or do you need a 1.4 cable to pass both 3D and audio together (if such a cable exists)?

Cool

oR A PHIZA INTO A PHAZA with a loopderound fer de fuzzy bezeezus.
    OR WHATEVER.
    Whoever is in charge of this mess should be strung up by the nearest lampole.
    What a hot mess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Indeed... if they could only over engineer these things so we wouldnt have to change them every year.

Indeed... if they could only over engineer these things so we wouldnt have to change them every year.

I couldn't agree more...

unfortunately, this is most likely to be the future...
    just like pc's, by the time you get home and unpack it, it's likely to be outdated already...

In fact, yesterday I heard from my dealer that there were rumors that within 2 years, HDMI would be replaced by a new variant, most likely to be a Cat7 cable. (HDMI is Cat2), ethernet cable is cat 5 or 6 (the new ones, for gigabit lan), the HDMI "followup" will also use a normal RJ45 ethernet port...

Go figure
    now that I just bought a projector, and looking to buy a AV receiver in the future (building a home theatre in the attic ), they're looking to replace it already when it's completely finished...
    great.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    In fact, yesterday I heard from my dealer that there were rumors that within 2 years, HDMI would be replaced by a new variant, most likely to be a Cat7 cable. (HDMI is Cat2), ethernet cable is cat 5 or 6 (the new ones, for gigabit lan), the HDMI "followup" will also use a normal RJ45 ethernet port...
    If HDMI cables can do ethernet, display 3D, 4K etc, I don't think they'll be replacing it just yet...

Go figure
    now that I just bought a projector, and looking to buy a AV receiver in the future (building a home theatre in the attic ), they're looking to replace it already when it's completely finished...
    great.
    Nice. I've just finished completing mine Get yourself a PS3 if you haven't already, it's a great machine. I don't think they are about to replace it, either.

As for receivers, try and get yourself a Cambridge Audio 640R, if you don't mind not having the latest lossless MC codecs. They should be pretty cheap now and I've heard are excellent in the sound department.

Using a 1.3 cable? Or do you need a 1.4 cable to pass both 3D and audio together (if such a cable exists)?
    As long as you don't need an ethernet connection between devices, 1.3a,b or c cable will do just fine.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I couldn't agree more...

just like pc's, by the time you get home and unpack it, it's likely to be outdated already...

Go figure
    great.
    HDBaseT 1.0 is not going to replace HDMI anytime soon. It is designed mainly for network based AV systems in large installations where HDMI can be unpractical.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Nice. I've just finished completing mine Get yourself a PS3 if you haven't already, it's a great machine. I don't think they are about to replace it, either.

As for receivers, try and get yourself a Cambridge Audio 640R, if you don't mind not having the latest lossless MC codecs. They should be pretty cheap now and I've heard are excellent in the sound department.

Nice

A PS3 is on the schedule, or a good BD player, depending on the wish to play games or not. It's not a big space (the attic), but I want it to be good, unfortunately, my brother also has his say in this, and he's not really sound minded, so i'm on a serious budget...

Speakers will be Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 front, 10 CS center, and 10.0 rears, sub most likely a MJ acoustics Pro 50MKII.

The receiver, I looked at the cambridge audio, but secondhand is not an option (read: brother says no), so it'll have to be new...
    I'm trying to choose between a Denon AVR1911, or a Yamaha RX-V767. The yamaha does offer the most features, and best connectivity options, including pre outs, 8 ch analog in etc, the denon has just a tiny edge in the sound performance, but offers just very sparse connecting options, and the GUI is outdated, making the set up somewhat harder. I don't know, I never had a denon receiver, only an integrated amp, and that was good. Yamaha products are always leading in the new technology dep., DSP, ..., but their amplifier section was a tad weak a few series ago, they seem to have drastically improved though...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

BK Elec subs

Nice

A PS3 is on the schedule, or a good BD player, depending on the wish to play games or not. It's not a big space (the attic), but I want it to be good, unfortunately, my brother also has his say in this, and he's not really sound minded, so i'm on a serious budget...

but their amplifier section was a tad weak a few series ago, they seem to have drastically improved though...
    Fun fun, nice to have some details But please, whatever you do, don't buy the Pro 50. There is a British OEM company who makes subs, that you should definitely look at instead. They sell direct, and I can vouch for their gear. They have made stuff for REL in the past. Their XLS200 subwoofer is basically an MJ Acoustics Ref 200, at a fraction of the price. Probably the price of the Pro 50, or less. By all means, check it out:
    http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

My DIY subwoofer employs the 12 inch driver from the Monolith subwoofer. Here is the link to the thread I made:
    My most successful subwoofer build

It's a pretty big beast!

Cool

I couldn't agree more...

Go figure
    great.
    This is what they should have started with.
    I AM REMINDED OF A QUOTE from a movie...
    "I work for a major corporation, and its my job to make sure nothing interesting ever happens"...
    OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thread Information