Rae

There's a ringing in my ears that's heaven sent...

I'm bumping some melodic 80s Minneapolis punk rock tonight... the title track from Hüsker Dü's Flip Your Wig preceded the above-mentioned "Cartoon" by Soul Asylum ("the b-teamers"), which just transitioned into The Replacements doing "Color Me Impressed". It occurs to me that I have a lot of this kind of stuff in my collection, but it's all local stuff from my native Twin Cities (the Magnolias are another great one, for starters). The "Minneapolis sound" must've spawned some imitators in other regions... are you guys familiar with any? What are some of the better ones?

~Rae

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Thanks for the memories. Took a quick trip through the Twin/Tone Records site and will return when time allows.

Hey Rae,

Speaking of punk rock, I watched an excellent documentary on the Vancouver Punk scene in the late 70's - early 80's. I was living in Vancouver at the time, and I know I saw some live punk at the bars, but at that time I was heavily leaning towards the New Age style to really pay attention. Since I couldn't find the melody, I couldn't appreciate the genre, and found it all just a little too loud.

The strange thing is that now bands like DOA, don't sound nearly as harsh or discordant as they did back then. It's all relative to the times, I guess. The same goes for the first all-girl Punk Rock band - The Dishrags.

If you are interested in watching the film, you can view it on-line here: http://www.knowledge.ca/program/bloodied-but-unbowed, although I think that site might only work in B.C.

If so, all their stuff is available on their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thepunkmovie?feature. The documentary is call Bloodied but Unbowed.

Interesting (and nostalgic) topic, Rae!

Snowie

you call us weirdos, you call us crazy.
    you say we're evil, you say we're lazy.
    you say we're just the violent type. kinda dumb not too bright.

we don't care what you say - **** you!
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Hey Rae,

Speaking of punk rock, I watched an excellent documentary on the Vancouver Punk scene in the late 70's - early 80's. I was living in Vancouver at the time, and I know I saw some live punk at the bars, but at that time I was heavily leaning towards the New Age style to really pay attention. Since I couldn't find the melody, I couldn't appreciate the genre, and found it all just a little too loud.

The strange thing is that now bands like DOA, don't sound nearly as harsh or discordant as they did back then. It's all relative to the times, I guess. The same goes for the first all-girl Punk Rock band - The Dishrags.

If you are interested in watching the film, you can view it on-line here: http://www.knowledge.ca/program/bloodied-but-unbowed, although I think that site might only work in B.C.

If so, all their stuff is available on their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thepunkmovie?feature. The documentary is call Bloodied but Unbowed.

Interesting (and nostalgic) topic, Rae!

Snowie
    Thanks! I'm totally going to watch that when I have time. I haven't tried the link yet but I'll let you know if it works.

~Rae

Thread Information