Forum Regular

new woofers and tweeters

So I'm here on behalf of my buddy who just bought a set of old Realistic bookshelves, and then came home to find out the old speakers were so old that the foam rotted right away as he played them. Also his tweeters weren't really working. At first I was going to recommend just re-foaming them, but to be honest the woofers themselves didn't look too great.

I know ideally he could probably just get new speakers for the price of replacement woofers and tweeters, but he likes the cabs and everything and just wants new speakers, but he doesn't really know anything about speakers. He was originally going to buy woofers he found for $10 each and tweeters for $1 each. I talked him out of that, so I'm here to find some suggestions for him. I believe the woofers are 10", and the tweeters are 2 3/4". Also, the tweeters do not pull out of the mounting brackets, so they need to have mounting brackets with them, if possible.

He's looking to go cheap, nothing special, just something to get everything working. Whats a good place to check out?

Suspended
    It sounds like your friend may not care but there is a lot that goes into building a speaker and you can't just pop any 10" woofer into any box and expect it to sound good. To do it correctly he would need speakers with similar specs, like matching the cabinet volume, port size, impedance etc. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get the same size parts to build the crossover.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    It sounds like your friend may not care but there is a lot that goes into building a speaker and you can't just pop any 10" woofer into any box and expect it to sound good. To do it correctly he would need speakers with similar specs, like matching the cabinet volume, port size, impedance etc. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get the same size parts to build the crossover.
    no, believe me, i know exactly what you mean. i wouldn't recommend him doing this, but it sounds like its what he wants. like i said, he was gonna spend like $20 total on 2 woofers and 2 tweeters. while random speakers and tweeters may not be ideal, i'd imagine he could get at least decent sound if he at least put in some average cones, no?

edit: or... if you really strongly recommend against it, what should i recommend he do? he won't be able to sell them and he doesn't want to spend too much money. he just wants something better than his computer speakers.
    Last edited by cgibsong002; 10-13-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Forum Regular
    You need to tell him to buy these for $29 a pair. They will sound better and cost less than replacement drivers in the Realistics.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652

Cool

THIS little enterprize has tragedy written all over it. What about the filter caps? Are they leaking? YOU KNOW, "shack" speakers were not the best when new. I KNOW, had two pair
    (and a pair of linarium tweeter speakers).
    GOOD LUCK, but sometimes the dumpster calls.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    You need to tell him to buy these for $29 a pair. They will sound better and cost less than replacement drivers in the Realistics.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652
    Seconded.

Forum Regular
    lol, thanks guys. i'll attempt to break the news to him. he's still going to want to get new drivers for his cabs, but i'll try to persuade him.

Forum Regular
    lol, thanks guys. i'll attempt to break the news to him. he's still going to want to get new drivers for his cabs, but i'll try to persuade him.

Thread Information