1 7.69%
  • Kill Bill Vol.I/II (2003)

3 23.08%
  • Ong-bak (2003)

1 7.69%
  • Shadowless Sword (2005)

0 0%

Martial Art Film of Decade

Must admit that have not seen all of mentioned Kung Fu movies, but movies I've seen- have to give nod to House Of Flying Dagger as the best martial art movie I have seen this decade. The fight scenes and chorography is amazing, with stunning visual effects.

Not any particular order:

Hero (2002): One man will challenge an empire.

Crouching Toger (2000): Two warriors in pursuit of a stolen sword.

Ip Man (2008): An account of Yip Man, the celebrated Kung Fu master of Bruce Lee.

Fearless (2006): Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself makes you fearless.

Seven Swords (2005): Seven warriors come together to protect a village from a diabolical General.

House Of Flying Daggers (2004):Two captains of the government army plot a scheme against the rebels using a blind dancer.

Hung Fu Hustle (2004): A slum ruled by eccentric landlords who turns out to be the greatest kung-fu masters in disguise.

Kill Bill Vol.I/II (2003): Tarantino's most universal movie to date.

Ong-bak (2003): A young martial artist goes to the big city and finds himself taking on the underworld to retrieve sacred statue.

Shadowless Sword (2005): The killer blades versus the killer babe!
    Last edited by Smokey; 10-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have to give the nod to House of Flying Daggers too...I actually like Kill Bill more, but for much different reasons, as it really incorporates a lot more elements that bend several genres.

But HoFD was a terrific movie, one of my first BluRay purchases. Incorporating the Beauty Song as a central theme (which I think I remember reading pre-dated Christ) was pretty neat. Can't help but wonder if it starred some mainstream US actors if it would have done much better, or much worse than it did here. Under-appreciated movie IMO.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I give a slight edge to "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" because I think it has the stronger story line(s). The cinematography in "House of Flying Daggers" is simply stunning and the revenge element and campiness of the "Kill Bill" series makes them classics.

BTW- Kudos to Smokey for taking the time to regularly post some great poll questions.

While all these are great kung-fu movies - i think CTHD is the only one that goes far beyond just beyond just being a kung-fu movie. The story (yes essentially a love story), stunningly epic scenery shots, music, FX and acting was all very good. Plus I'm partial to Michelle Yeoh.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Yikes. Tough question and I'm not sure I can answer it.

One thing for sure, Seven Swords does not belong in this list as it's a remake of the classic Japanese epic "The Seven Samurai" made in 1954. This story has been remade already in 1989 as "The Seven Warriors". I own Seven Samurai and I highly rec it to anyone who fancies themself an Asian film fan. Akira Kurosawa was IMO the first director to use "epic" scenes with stunning cinemetography, long before films such as Ben Hur, etc.

While super entertaining and fun, Kill Bill is a potpouri (spelling?) of genres and I feel also does not deserve placement in this list.

I would have chosen The Rebel and The Dynamite Warrior in place of these two. Both original stories with exceptional action, action which was NOT CGI generated I might add!. The Rebel features Johnny Tri Nguyen who is one of the best up and comers in the biz right now. The fight sequences are fresh and original.

Ong Bak really helped to invigorate the martial arts genre, and basically jumped off the "Real Fight" category. It should get a special mention.

While I am always happy to see people moving beyond Crouching Tiger, it's commercial effect and ability to "wake up" the West cannot be ignored. Aside from that, it's a wonderfully original story which moves in a super exciting manner.

I would be tempted to select Hero but although it's a pic in Smokey's post, it's not in the list. Hero was a really thrilling story told in a really different "Tarantino" kind of way. Action sequences were superb and visually stunning, almost emotionally engaging.

Smokey I hope you're not offended by my post, you know I love the subject matter and therefore, love YOU for whipping it up. If I can give you a greeny, it's on its way!!

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile What about Shaolin Soccer?

That was about as hilariously over the top of a martial arts movie as you will ever see. I love it as a comedy, a sports movie, and a martial arts movie in a video game kinda way. I found it a bit more enjoyable than Kung Fu Hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    That was about as hilariously over the top of a martial arts movie as you will ever see. I love it as a comedy, a sports movie, and a martial arts movie in a video game kinda way. I found it a bit more enjoyable than Kung Fu Hustle.
    I FULLY agree! Great flick and a nice break from traditional action. Kung Fu Hustle was also awesome. My favorite part in Shaolin Soccer had to be when they were in the club, and bust out the Kung Fu number with the guitars in tow! That still makes me laugh.

Robert I could make a list of honorable mentions a mile long.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile I love that scene!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I FULLY agree! Great flick and a nice break from traditional action. Kung Fu Hustle was also awesome. My favorite part in Shaolin Soccer had to be when they were in the club, and bust out the Kung Fu number with the guitars in tow! That still makes me laugh.

Robert I could make a list of honorable mentions a mile long.
    I have to buy that movie on BLURAY. I can't remember that many of the lines but I love the names of the brothers. "No he's Ironhead." I love the fat guy who can fly and the goalie who can stop anything with his gut. Anyhow everybody should see it.

Thanks everybody for voting and recommendations.

This was kind of difficult poll to put together since haven't seen couple of mentioned martial art films. Films like Ong-pak or Ip Man were shot-in-dark candidate (I like movies with swords), but reviews on them were good.

And Chubbs, no I don't mind you guy adding more recommendations or making substitution. My local selection of martial art movies are very limited, so mostly go by word of mouth-thus this poll to fill in my "must see" kung fu film list. So keep it coming guys.

And thanks for greenies since one of them is anonymous

While I am always happy to see people moving beyond Crouching Tiger, it's commercial effect and ability to "wake up" the West cannot be ignored. Aside from that, it's a wonderfully original story which moves in a super exciting manner.

Which is why I had to put my vote in for it. It might not be the most action packed or most blood boiling action, I mean, it is not Hard Boiled in that sense. But for over all story, emotional connection, cinematography, I have to rate it number one.

I would be tempted to select Hero but although it's a pic in Smokey's post, it's not in the list. Hero was a really thrilling story told in a really different "Tarantino" kind of way. Action sequences were superb and visually stunning, almost emotionally engaging.
    Hero is a great movie as well, but, the whole assassination of emperor Qin is a classic story with many, many, version in China and in Chinese film. Plus - I don't believe in the Chinese concept of "all under heaven". To me that is just a bunch of crap some powerful guy tells people to justify his mass murder and power consumption.

I think for pure action - I'd have to throw in a vote for the remake of Drunken Master, or some of Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China. For comedy though, I love it when that big dude (forget his name) teams up with Jackie Chan. The combo on screen makes for great comic timing and physical comedy.

speaking of kung-fu

look what i found on my car this morning - weird - didn't think we had these down here in SoCal. Kind of wanted to keep it - but don't know where I could put it.

Chicago IL
    Is that a praying mantis?

Charm Thai™
    i liked Kung Fu Hustle and it's the only one i've seen on the list although I'll prolly be seeing Fearless this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I think for pure action - I'd have to throw in a vote for the remake of Drunken Master, or some of Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China.
    Sorry Adam, but motion denied

I think those two movies were made before 2000. Seen the original drunken master, but not the remake or Jet Li's OUTIC. Another movie worth mentioning that came out before 2K might be '93 The Heroic Trio. One could see the influence of that movie on Crouching Tiger and Flying Daggers films.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    speaking of kung-fu

look what i found on my car this morning - weird - didn't think we had these down here in SoCal. Kind of wanted to keep it - but don't know where I could put it.

Did you master it's style? Quite a find...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I'm partial to Hero for the sheer beauty of it.

I know this one doesn't quite count but I want to put a nod in for Kung Fu Panda.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Sorry Adam, but motion denied

I think those two movies were made before 2000. Seen the original drunken master, but not the remake or Jet Li's OUTIC. Another movie worth mentioning that came out before 2K might be '93 The Heroic Trio. One could see the influence of that movie on Crouching Tiger and Flying Daggers films.

Oh yes - forgot there was a time frame involved. I'll redact my motion.

Did you master it's style? Quite a find...
    For realz it is a praying mantis. Kind of totally random.

I just saw IP Man.

Good movie - but - it still had too many holes in it to really be great. I mean, if I knew most likely I was going to get killed after beating some dude in a fight - you know - since i'm smart and all and saw that happen in the past - i'd have wooped that dood and then jumped the fence like a jack rabbit after a bowl of chili.

anyways - kung fu was good - and wifie and i really got into it when he took on the 10 guys at once and really started to hurt people. since most of the movie before that was all about his restraint in hurting people.

anyways....

My Vote...

I vote for a recent rental:

"Blood and Bone" - More MMA than martial arts, no wire work. Amazing hand and leg work. Liked it so much I think I'm gonna buy it.

Worf

Thread Information