Pavement freakin' rawked!

What a blast we had last night at the Mann in Philly. After a rather noisy and uninteresting opening by Kurt Vile, a Philly-based guy and his band, the place was jammed, at least the part of the amphitheater that's under roof. From the moment they set foot on the stage, everyone was on their feet, singing along too all the familiar tunes. After the opening song, Malkmus commented about all late-comers who were getting beer and said they must have been expecting a track from 'Terror Twilight', a record that he clearly doesn't like so much. It sure made me chuckle.

I got a couple decent videos on my Droid X, so I'll try to share one or two in the near future. We were in the 7th row, stage left, and Malkum was setup on that side of the stage, so they were excellent seats. Here are the songs that I can recall them playing, and all my favorites are hear, save 'Summer Babe'.

Malkmus had some other funny dialog, most of which I've forgotten at this point, thanks to the copious amounts of Negra Modello and Victory Hop Devil I drank, but he had a 7 or 8 second belch in the mic at the start of the second encore than cracked me up.

What a great show and the band sounded even tighter than they do on their cds, if you can believe that. Here are the songs they played, although not exactly in this order:

Grounded, Elevate Me Later, Cut Your Hair, Kennel District, Frontwards, Box Elder, Conduit for Sale, Unfair, Fight This Generation, In The Mouth a Desert, Rattled By The Rush, Shady Lane, Silence Kit, Spit on a Stranger, Starlings of the Slipstream, Stereo, Two States, We Dance, Range Life

First Encore - Date with Ikea, Stop Breathin', Trigger Cut

Second Encore - Gold Soundz, Here
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Rae
    Wow, you got a much different set order than we did.

In St. Paul, MN:

1. Cut Your Hair
    2. Spit on a Stranger
    3. Elevate Me Later
    4. Summer Babe (Winter Version)
    5. Silence Kit
    6. Starlings of the Slipstream
    7. Kennel District
    8. Unfair
    9. Father to a Sister of Thought
    10. Box Elder
    11. Frontwards
    12. Rattled by the Rush
    13. Heckler Spray
    14. In the Mouth a Desert
    15. Perfume-V
    16. Stereo
    17. Grounded
    18. Trigger Cut
    19. Our Singer
    20. Fight This Generation
    21. Range Life
    22. Two States
    23. We Dance
    24. Gold Soundz
    25. Stop Breathin'
    Encore:
    26. Shady Lane
    27. Conduit for Sale!
    28. Here

Sounds like you may have gotten a more engaged Malkmus, though, if they played two encores.

~Rae

A more engaged Malkmus? For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Sounds like you may have gotten a more engaged Malkmus, though, if they played two encores.~Rae
    He chatted with the crowd quite a bit. He did make me laugh when he mentioned that some of the crowd looked like they were pushing 35. Ha! Actually, there were more youngsters there than I would have imagined, with their last record being released 11 years ago and their better stuff dating back to 15 to 18 years ago.

He also mentioned how good the food was at the 'farmer's market' in Lancaster, which happens to be the home town of bassist Mark Ibold. I also know his mom works in a booth at that farmer's market. A good friend of mine, who happened to be at the show with us last night, was at that market years back and saw a woman reading a British newspaper with Meat or something as the headline. Then he noticed the story was about Pavement and said something to her, and she told him she was Mark's mom.

To add to this story, he was in MD to see them about 12 years ago and saw Ibold walking down the street before the show and introduced himself, telling him he met his mom in Lancaster. Mark wasn't interested in chatting and just nodded, smiled and walked away. Weird, huh?

Also, Pavement will be on the Jimmy Falon show on the 23rd, and I'm hoping to catch it if I can stay awake that late. No, I don't have a DVR.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

I had to do a little editing as my setlist was out of order..

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Wow, you got a much different set order than we did.

In St. Paul, MN:

1. Cut Your Hair
    2. Spit on a Stranger
    3. Elevate Me Later
    4. Summer Babe (Winter Version)
    5. Silence Kit
    6. Starlings of the Slipstream
    7. Kennel District
    8. Unfair
    9. Father to a Sister of Thought
    10. Box Elder
    11. Frontwards
    12. Rattled by the Rush
    13. Heckler Spray
    14. In the Mouth a Desert
    15. Perfume-V
    16. Stereo
    17. Grounded
    18. Trigger Cut
    19. Our Singer
    20. Fight This Generation
    21. Range Life
    22. Two States
    23. We Dance
    24. Gold Soundz
    25. Stop Breathin'
    Encore:
    26. Shady Lane
    27. Conduit for Sale!
    28. Here

Sounds like you may have gotten a more engaged Malkmus, though, if they played two encores.

~Rae
    ...a bit, and I was missing a song or two, not like it's a big deal though.

Grounded, Cut Your Hair, Kennel District, Elevate Me Later, Shady Lane, Frontwards, Starlings of the Slipstream, Box Elder, Unfair, Conduit for Sale, Fight This Generation, Heckler Spray, In The Mouth a Desert, Silence Kit, Spit on a Stranger, Stereo, Two States, Perfume-V, We Dance, Rattled By the Rush, Range Life

First Encore - Date with Ikea, rigger Cut, Stop Breathin',

Second Encore - Gold Soundz, Here

Thread Information