Suspended

I got me an Academy

If you are a Klipsch enthusiast you know the Academy center speaker is a highly sought model. It's a very good vintage center that is recommended for Heritage, Forte and a few other models, I think Chorus as well. I have my Heresy III and a pair of Forte, the Academy is the center that was recommended to mate with these. As my Heresy uses titanium drivers I'm not sure how much of a match that would make with the Academy but it looks like a great match for the Forte. I couldn't resist the temptation of picking this up from CL and setting it up with the Forte for a listen. First I have to get my Forte back from my mom. I figure if I like the set up I get an inexpensive alternative to the Dyn's, if not, the Academy will be an easy turn over to get my money back. The one I picked up is in excellent condition other than a few scratches on the cabinet. What's funny is I emailed this guy about a couple other Klipsch centers and was asking what he was doing with all the centers, he answered back with a list of Klipsch he had for sale and behold, an Academy. I hooked it up to make sure all was OK and it sounds like it plays deeper than it's rated. For HT who cares, it gets crossed over usually any way. I'm planning a vertical position.
    She's quite a little chunk:
    Academy Specifications
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE 65Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
    POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous
    SENSITIVITY 96dB @ 1watt/1meter
    NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
    HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 2,200 Hz
    TWEETER K-76-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
    HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
    WOOFER Two K-1011-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly cone
    ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
    ENCLOSURE TYPE Sealed
    DIMENSIONS 23.25" (59.06cm) x 11" (27.94cm) x 10" (25.4cm)
    WEIGHT 33 lbs. (14.95kg)
    FINISHES Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black
    BUILT FROM 1992
    BUILT UNTIL 1994

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Wow- Congrats Mr.P!!

A 33lb center channel is quite the beast.
    Most CC will have an array of of maybe a couple of 4" or 6" inch woofers but 2 8" woofers is very impressive. Look forward to your impressions of it when you wrestle the Forte's away from your Mom.......

Suspended
    I got my Forte's today. I put them in place of my t2.5's. I am really impressed with what they can do. The Forte sound is better balanced than the Heresy. I think it's due to stronger, or lower bass response and the horns are smoother than the titanium. Next will be the HT test.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Congrats Mr. P. I am thinking about doing the center thing as well. Sounds like you have a nice setup!!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    If I thought any one would be interested I'd start a thread on the Forte. I am really liking them.. They are more balanced and smooth than any other Klipsch I've heard, including the Heresy. Being driven by the CJ I am just amazed. I think most drive Klipsch with receivers and really never know what they are capable of. On the other hand I do have a theory that Klipsch can be over driven. I have never heard Klipsch sound good with Krell. Klipsch are supposed to be low distortion but at a certain point at high vollume the sound stage just becomes a loud blurr. The bass with the Forte is good, it hits you in the chest and fills the room, not quite as accurate as my t2.5's but the fun factor is high. I wonder if some of the Reference and Paladium hold together better with high power since the ratings go higher.....

Peabody...you becoming a Klipsch fan boy? Now that is funny!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    If I thought any one would be interested I'd start a thread on the Forte. I am really liking them.. They are more balanced and smooth than any other Klipsch I've heard, including the Heresy.
    I think you and I are the only regulars around here who have Klipsch in one our systems. The "other site" has a "Klipsch Korner" dedicated to all things Klipsch.

Suspended
    Kid,I noticed some one having Klipsch, RF7's, but I can't remember who.

I know Frenchie, it's strange isn't it. I'm looking forward to you hearing the Forte to see what you think.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    I think you and I are the only regulars around here who have Klipsch in one our systems. The "other site" has a "Klipsch Korner" dedicated to all things Klipsch.
    I've had a Klipsch system since the mid 80's. Started with two pairs of Kg4s and used a Kg2 as a center. It was Dolby Pro Logic then. I had a Yamaha gear, R-8 receiver, MX-35 amp and Pro-100 processor.

I still have a Klipsch system. Kept one pair of Kg4s, two pairs of RS-3 surrounds, SW-8 sub and KV3/KLF-C7 centers. I've always wondered about the Academy. I purchased the KLF-C7 thinking the 8" might be a better match for the Kg4, but it wasn't. The KV3 is still the best match I've heard. I have yet to hear an Academy.

The Academys I see on ebay always seem pretty pricey, or black, where I prefer a more natural finish. I'm looking forward to more of Mr. P's impressions. I know they have to be pretty good. They seem to keep their value.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Wow- Congrats Mr.P!!

A 33lb center channel is quite the beast.
    Most CC will have an array of of maybe a couple of 4" or 6" inch woofers but 2 8" woofers is very impressive. Look forward to your impressions of it when you wrestle the Forte's away from your Mom.......
    A heavy center can be a challenge. I have one system with a Legacy Silver Screen @ 42lbs. When I had a RPTV, I couldn't find a shelf that would hold it. I had to use a separate center speaker stand. I now have a Bello LCD glass/metal stand with two shelves. The 11"H Silver Screen just fits.

Suspended
    The Academy is a good center. I need to tweak my crossover or sub level, the sub and Academy aren't meshing as well as the t2.1. I set my levels when putting the Klipsch in but I think the level may be slightly too high due to the AC kicking on. What's amazing is how well the 52's, still in the rear, work with the Klipsch when all the levels are set. I think the price of the Academy remains high because of it being the only center designed to work with Heritage series, Forte & Chorus. I have my Academy vertical and on the floor.

Forum Regular

Hooray for fun factor getting some due props...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    If I thought any one would be interested I'd start a thread on the Forte. I am really liking them.. They are more balanced and smooth than any other Klipsch I've heard, including the Heresy. Being driven by the CJ I am just amazed. I think most drive Klipsch with receivers and really never know what they are capable of. On the other hand I do have a theory that Klipsch can be over driven. I have never heard Klipsch sound good with Krell. Klipsch are supposed to be low distortion but at a certain point at high vollume the sound stage just becomes a loud blurr. The bass with the Forte is good, it hits you in the chest and fills the room, not quite as accurate as my t2.5's but the fun factor is high. I wonder if some of the Reference and Paladium hold together better with high power since the ratings go higher.....
    I am glad to see that someone else out there also values the "fun factor" part of the audio experience. Not trying to redirect the thread but just as an example...when I went to Austin in June to listen to speakers.....the most fun and energizing music presentation was through a speaker that was hooked up to a Rega integrated and Rega front end system! Sure the Naim is more resolving and pushes more music into the listening environment but the same music through the Rega simply made me want to put my dancing shoes on.

So, IMHO, the fun factor is an important part of the audio experience no matter where in the audio chain you get it from. Glad you found some fun factor in the Klipsch!

another klipsch owner here. Some time in spring, i found a set of KG5.5 and a kcv3 or is it kv3 center. excellent for music and movies.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Thread Information