Got a used receiver and JBL speakers

I did find a Pioneer VSX-454 4 channel receiver for $20 at Goodwill store and I also did win an auction for the JBL N26 speakers for $79.77 with shipping. I just won this today but I hope when I get them and connect them to my receiver this will overall sound better than the Philips MMS321 I have.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congrats and I hope you like the new equipment.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

As you know I always been a JBL fan so of cource I get JBL speakers but too bad I can't afford something like the JBL ES10 at least or even the ES20 which is better. Ya I noticed JBL speakers are more expensive for there current line. Of cource if I get used pair them I can get them cheaper.

I use to own the JBL S26 which was super speaker but I don't have them anymore and also I don't see them sold on Ebay alot. I think also they cost more too. But I have seen the JBL S38 which I had once but sold them which I should of not done since those were amazing speakers. But maybe someday when I save enough I can find a JBL Studio Series speakers for good deal on Ebay or so.

I am supprised about this but there was a cooling fan on the back of the receiver. I never seen receivers like these kinds that have a fan. Usualy they don't have a cooling fan but is it better to have one?

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Carr
    I am supprised about this but there was a cooling fan on the back of the receiver. I never seen receivers like these kinds that have a fan. Usualy they don't have a cooling fan but is it better to have one?
    It is always better to have one! I have seen Technics to use fans on the back but not and Pioneer

Chicago IL
    By the way I used to have exactly the same receiver! It has good sound and it is powerful so it should go good with your JBL speakers! It has for surround too!

Well most of the receivers I had in the past I think just had a open vent on the top and alot of heat sinks. But is that normaly for most? Why would you say it's better to have the fan? Also what if in the future the fan goes out? Then you can't use the receiver anymore right? Are the fans replaceable?

Fan or heat sink, it does not matter. I have a 55lb Adcom AVR with a list price of $2,000 and it has 5 fans. I also have a 60lb $2,200 Parasound amp that uses massive heat sinks. They both work.

And fans can be replaced!.

Don't worry and just sit back and enjoy your first real decent receiver!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Is there anyone that is selling a pair of the JBL N26 grilles? The one I got has 3 small holes and one has a broken pin. But they still hold together but I was wondeirng if someone is selling a clean good grilles.

Thanks
    Last edited by Joe_Carr; 08-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information