RGA
    Forum Regular

the reason you need vinyl...

Quite interesting how much music is on vinyl that is not on any other format.

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound...rd-collection/

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Quite interesting how much music is on vinyl that is not on any other format.

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound...rd-collection/
    Quoting Paul Mawhinney: "Nobody gives a damn!"

Chicago IL
    wow over 1 million records.

It's just a hobby
    I think the big issue here is copyright, he does not own the copyright of the recordings therefore anyone acquiring the collection cannot do much with it beyond admiring it or breaking it up to recover some if their investment. Furthermore archiving 1m vinyl records is a huge and probably expensive undertaking. Conclusion, too much cost for too little reward.
    Last edited by theaudiohobby; 08-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    On the older stuff isn't there a copyright end date? I can for instance copy Shakespeare plays but I can't do that for newer plays

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    On the older stuff isn't there a copyright end date? I can for instance copy Shakespeare plays but I can't do that for newer plays
    Shakespeare died over 300 century ago, however there hardly any LP is over 60 years, so copyright is still an issue.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Shakespeare died over 300 century ago, however there hardly any LP is over 60 years, so copyright is still an issue.
    In many cases, CP protection can end in under 50 years. It varies based on region and types of contract.

Great video Rich. I just love all of the warm and sympathetic comments from my fellow AR members.

Here's a guy who clearly loves music and has put together a collection of true historical value. I guess that's not moving enough...

...oh I know Bill, what if he had collected 400 multi channel titles?

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    In many cases, CP protection can end in under 50 years. It varies based on region and types of contract.
    Some has to pay the lawyer fees to check which LPs are still under copyright and eat the loss for those still under copyright of which there may be many.

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Some has to pay the lawyer fees to check which LPs are still under copyright and eat the loss for those still under copyright of which there may be many.
    Indeed, it would be the undertaking of a wealthy individual. Storage alone would present the highest and most enduring cost. Next to that, there may be an organization or museum interested in a portion of it.

Anyhow, it's impressive, and you can see the guy loves music, with all of his heart. It must be a bit discouraging that his life's work is now "irrelevant". I say that loosely, as all of us in here understand the value of his collection. But to see what the masses have moved to, must be a real thorn in his side.

Surely if any of us had the money and means, it would be an amazing undertaking. That said, I think only a wealthy person would have the time available for all that would be needed.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I know one company is busy remastering older music. They have built their own cutting lathe and have developed their own A to D converters. But it's too small an operation to handle doing that for a million albums so you're left with the preferences of the small company owner.

I doubt you can just walk in and buy a hundred albums - the catalog system (if it's not all just in the guy's head) would be enormous.

Thread Information