Forum Regular

Master and Commander DVD

HI,

Watched this last night - widescreen, DTS. What a great film Had it not been for the Hobbits, this wouldhave won for best picture of the year, without a doubt. Great story, very engaging.

The picture quality of the DVD was jaw droppingly good. I ca't wait for my new TV to see if it looks as good. And the sound, the SOUND! This is the very first time I can remember hearing sounds in the dead center in the space between left front and left rear and right front and right rear. Sure, I have heard sweeps and pans with Bullets or with cars or planes zooming through the room, but this is the first time I have heard pin point accurate sound in the "phantom zone". The stationary shots inside the ship, you can hear the wood creeking from the ship all around you and with pinpoint accuracy. It is like being below deck in an old wooden manowar. Needless to day, I was very impressed with that effect. Canon shots, waves, gales in the sails, whispers were all reandered with the thought and care that I wish went into all sound mixes.

I thought I owned some good sounding DVD's, but this one surpasses everything I have heard to date. The artistry with which this DVD was created is truly outstanding. Bravo to the sound editors and the people who mastered this DVD for 5.1 and DTS. You should get an award.

Let me know if you think the same when you get a chance to see this film.

Yam

Forum Regular
    I thought that wasn't coming out till the 20th

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Yam,
    I have to agree with you on this one. The sound and visuals were jaw dropping good. I just like yourself was absolutely amazed at how stable the phantom imaging between channels was, and the layering of the sounds was stunning. The sound was so good I forgot I was listening through five speakers(no sub here). I heard imaging in front of my speakers, behind them, on the sidewalls, and center rear with more clarity than I have ever heard.

I happen to like this genre of movie. I even liked Cutthroat Island. This movie is the best of its kind that I have seen to date. A keeper DVD without a doubt!!!

p.s. I got my hands on a advance copy, it pays to know people in high places!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular

Agree

Hey Terrence,

It really was that good wasn't it. I don't know how they did it but it was just superb. Made me think my time and financial investment was all worth while! Although, I think, given some of your posts, your system probably surpasses the majority of home theater systems, so it was probably really great at your place.

As for release date, The local vid store tends to put them up for sale prior to the street date and then puts them out for rent on the street date. Bloody good marketing if you ask me. If you are will to pay the $30 to buy it, you get it a couple of weeks before the rental people. Kind of elitist but I like that! Besides, I was going to buy M and C anyway.

Kill Bill Vol 1 is also available to buy here, although I am a bit reluctant to do it because they will inevitably bring out a 2 or 3 disk "Collectors set" or Ultimate Edition or some such marketing thing so I am thinking I will just rent it when it streets and then buy the entire set. Having said that, the local store also tends to put out full screen editions, which basically guarantees I will buy movies I want to see... If you can believe it, Matrix Revolutions rental version is the full screen version. How painful is that???

Thanks for the reply, good to see some other people are enjoying this film as much as me.

Yam

Thread Information