bring back the vinyl

Music Hall MMF 5 anyone ???? need help !

ok, about to make the purchase....anyone have input on the Music Hall MMF 5 ? I've read the reviews but I want to hear it from those who have had 1st hand experience with it...the quirks and such. What about the Goldring that comes with it....any good??? or is it just a gimmick to sell the table. wondering if people would swap it out right away.
    Any other tables to look at in the $500 range ????

oh yeah, and i'll be upgrading from a Dual CS 630Q....prob not that great of a table

Players

Quote Originally Posted by dbrahms
    ok, about to make the purchase....anyone have input on the Music Hall MMF 5 ? I've read the reviews but I want to hear it from those who have had 1st hand experience with it...the quirks and such. What about the Goldring that comes with it....any good??? or is it just a gimmick to sell the table. wondering if people would swap it out right away.
    Any other tables to look at in the $500 range ????

oh yeah, and i'll be upgrading from a Dual CS 630Q....prob not that great of a table

Players that are a good value for about $500

If we are assuming new:

Project makes tables in that price range like the Debut and RPM-4, but I have my reservations about this (correction Czech) deck. I have seen them pulled apart, and they are cheaply built. They can accept a better cart, but I don’t trust them.

Rega: P2: this is a well built deck and a nice value. I heard them at a show recently, and they can do good things with the right cart. There are upgrade kits available for the motor and arm. This deck is tried and true, and can expand over time. Much better built IMO than pro-ject.

Used: the sky is the limit. There are too many to mention.

The Music Hall is a good choice also. (This is an Asian deck, IIRC they may be associated with Shanling or Swan.
    Last edited by Sealed; 04-07-2004 at 02:29 AM.

Forum Regular
    I have owned the Project RPM4 for some 3 years and have been very happy with it - although I have done a fair amount of upgrading to it. Just a small correction to what Sealed said - it is not an asian deck it is actually designed in the UK and, I think, Czech built.

MusicHall tables are also fine. In fact that have a lot in common with Project - they even use the Project 9 arms on many of their tables. The MMF 5 uses the 9.1 arm which (I think) is the one I have on the RPM4 currently (although as I said before - modified).

As for Rega - they set the standard for years on the lower cost TT's and you really can't go wrong.

Bottom line - 3 perfectly reasonable choices for your money - see what offers the best deal and go with that.

Note: If the Goldring cartridge is the same unit as the one that ships with the Project 1.2 I would plan on replacing it. I have heard that cartridge many times and it leaves a fair amount to be desired.

Better choices for the money would be either the Denon 103 MC cartridge (but with that low output you might want to look at the 110 if your phono stage doesnt have at least 55 dB gain) or even the Blue Point. I regard the Denon 103 as one of the best bargains in audio - a real delight to listen to - if you can drive it.

Forum Regular
    One bit of advice. Pro-Ject makes all Music Hall tables. However, I have been told, by more than a few dealers, that Pro-Ject tables have a higher build quality and are a better value.
    I own the Rega P3 which is a great table for a retail price of $650. You should be able to find it for at least a 10% discount; not a bad table for @$600. If it is to expensive try the Rega P2.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Forum Regular
    Actually, Shanling makes CD Players for Music Hall. Pro-Ject makes their Turn Tables.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Thread Information