3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

posters, please...

think before you quote

A lot of good info gets exchanged here on a daily basis, as well as opinions - that's great, even when those posts and replies are long as hell. Hey, don't get me wrong, I get it, sometimes there's no shortcut to getting a point across.

But the page count on many threads could be half what they are if people would stop quoting entire posts. Are you really responding to every statement in a post or are you responding to a general idea? Wouldn't simply addressing the specific poster suffice? A lot of you guys type 1000 word essay responses to 1000 word essay posts, and when you quote those posts, it makes for an exasperating read on handheld devices that don't differentiate twix quote and response, not to mention unnecessarily extending the length of a thread where two posts take up 1 page. A lot of FAQ are actually frequently redundant, because if you do a search-function for the info, several 20 page thread results come up (and most all those are 20% info/ 80% pissing contest). Lots of people are just gonna start their own threads rather than plow through mega-thread jungles.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Looks to me like every page has 25 posts regardless of length.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I meant to post that I agree that rarely does the entire lengthy post need quoted. It would make it easier to follow a thread. I also think if you are not quoting a post but responding to someone address that person instead of making others wonder who you are talking about.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    This would be terribly(ooopss no pun intended) hard for me because I often engage in highly technical topics that don't lend themselves to a short or quick answer. If I were to go short, there would be so many questions to what I post the thread would still end up long anyway.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I often engage in highly technical topics that don't lend themselves to a short or quick answer.
    not referring to posts that are long, as much as I am referring to people using the quote function to reply, when it'd take up less space just to address the specific poster. Some people respond to a long post with one or two lines, but quote the entire thing anyway. If you're agreeing with, or saying thanks to, a long post (let's say one of yours) instead of quoting your entire 1000 word essay, one could simply reply, "I agree, Sir T" or "thanks Sir T".

If posters want to address parts of a post specifically, they can edit the post down - it isn't hard to do. I did it above.

Chicago IL
    I somehow agree with 3LB. Sometimes you can see a lot of quoting a big text and it doesn't look that good. With the pictures is the same.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    not referring to posts that are long, as much as I am referring to people using the quote function to reply, when it'd take up less space just to address the specific poster. Some people respond to a long post with one or two lines, but quote the entire thing anyway. If you're agreeing with, or saying thanks to, a long post (let's say one of yours) instead of quoting your entire 1000 word essay, one could simply reply, "I agree, Sir T" or "thanks Sir T".

If posters want to address parts of a post specifically, they can edit the post down - it isn't hard to do. I did it above.
    I see your point, and will watch what I do in the future.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

3LB, I heartily agree with you.

Folks, please use the 'Quote' function and delete the portions of the preceeding poster's remarks that you aren't addressing. Some of us -- not to name names -- are very careless about this, especially using 'Quote', and it makes very tedious to follow what are, in effect, subthreads on particular topics.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    think before you quote

A lot of good info gets exchanged here on a daily basis, as well as opinions - that's great, even when those posts and replies are long as hell. Hey, don't get me wrong, I get it, sometimes there's no shortcut to getting a point across.

But the page count on many threads could be half what they are if people would stop quoting entire posts. Are you really responding to every statement in a post or are you responding to a general idea? Wouldn't simply addressing the specific poster suffice? A lot of you guys type 1000 word essay responses to 1000 word essay posts, and when you quote those posts, it makes for an exasperating read on handheld devices that don't differentiate twix quote and response, not to mention unnecessarily extending the length of a thread where two posts take up 1 page. A lot of FAQ are actually frequently redundant, because if you do a search-function for the info, several 20 page thread results come up (and most all those are 20% info/ 80% pissing contest). Lots of people are just gonna start their own threads rather than plow through mega-thread jungles.
    What he said...

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    What he said...
    har har harrrrrr

Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information