Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

SSScccooorrreeeee!!!!!!

Boy oh boy!! I deviated from my regular 2 thrift shops today and hit a Goodwill.

Would you believe the last LP in the bin was a still wrapped, minty copy of Walter Wanderley's "Rain Forest"?!?!?!?!

NEVER PLAYED!!! SEALED!!!!

For the princely sum of $0.99. A good day indeed...

YEEEEEEEEEEE FUUUCCCKIN HAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quagmire: (reading a sign on Church door that says "Organist Wanted.") Huh-huh, all right! (Runs inside Church, unzips pants, gets slapped) Ahh. (comes back outside) Why do you say organist if you don't want... I don't understand the world anymore.

Pops you lucky man....that's a great album. I see its got Urbie Green the great trombonist...and if im not mistaken it has Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar. Good score if you got it brand new unopen. I love Bossa nova and he did a lot of it. Most who dont really like music but are just casual listeners would consider that album elevator music...you and I may be the only two people on earth that enjoy elevator music then.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Pops you lucky man....that's a great album. I see its got Urbie Green the great trombonist...and if im not mistaken it has Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar. Good score if you got it brand new unopen. I love Bossa nova and he did a lot of it. Most who dont really like music but are just casual listeners would consider that album elevator music...you and I may be the only two people on earth that enjoy elevator music then.

Thanks frenchmon.

I have been in elevators that have bastardized just about every clasic you can name. When you hear the Beatles while on hold during a phone call, or on an elevator, it's pretty much game over. Meaning? Meaning it's not a useful barometer anymore, but I certainly get where you're coming from.

One of my faves has got to be Billy Preston, so I have an ear for organ. All things being equal it's a great, melodic album without the absurdity of Sebesky to potentially "fluff" it to death. Speaking of which, Sebesky was real hit or miss IMO.

There are alot of links to cool jazz that I hear on this one. The rhythm's for sure. It's got a real Kay feel to it. His piano based numbers are fantastic. Stripped down and really organic.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Thanks frenchmon.

I have been in elevators that have bastardized just about every clasic you can name. When you hear the Beatles while on hold during a phone call, or on an elevator, it's pretty much game over. Meaning? Meaning it's not a useful barometer anymore, but I certainly get where you're coming from.

One of my faves has got to be Billy Preston, so I have an ear for organ. All things being equal it's a great, melodic album without the absurdity of Sebesky to potentially "fluff" it to death. Speaking of which, Sebesky was real hit or miss IMO.

There are alot of links to cool jazz that I hear on this one. The rhythm's for sure. It's got a real Kay feel to it. His piano based numbers are fantastic. Stripped down and really organic.
    IF you like organ...look for Charles Earland's album "Intensity". You will be happy.

Have you received the album I sent you yet?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Pops

Congrats according to my LP catalog Near Mint conditon on that LP would be worth $15-$20 so for an unopened copy I'd say you did okay for your 99 cents....

great find. love those kind of days.

Suspended
    Who? If it was me the LP would still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Who? If it was me the LP would still be there.
    LOL!!! MrP!!!!! that was not right.lol roflmao.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Hey Pops. Hope you didn't take my juvenile Quagmire post on organists as making fun of your find. I have a couple of organ albums myself - mostly fun stuff like Milt Buckner's Rockin' Hammond and several bossa nova tracks on compilations that came out in the mid-90s during the lounge music revival. Ike Quebec's Soul Samba is a favorite of mine.

I didn't know Van Gelder did work for Verve. Anyhow, I miss the days of perusing flea markets, etc. for unusual finds.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Hey Pops. Hope you didn't take my juvenile Quagmire post on organists as making fun of your find. I have a couple of organ albums myself - mostly fun stuff like Milt Buckner's Rockin' Hammond and several bossa nova tracks on compilations that came out in the mid-90s during the lounge music revival. Ike Quebec's Soul Samba is a favorite of mine.

I didn't know Van Gelder did work for Verve. Anyhow, I miss the days of perusing flea markets, etc. for unusual finds.
    Nah, it's cool. Even if you were making fun, I'm not made of glass. As a crooner Dean, you should have a closer look at the back of the LP in this post. Your brother in crooning, Tony Bennett, gives Wanderley an endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Thanks frenchmon.

You made me think of something oh-so-important regarding this:

I often wonder if people would enjoy things that they hear in an elevator or on hold if it was actually played on a system that could produce the sound in an articulate way instead of through a tiny little muffled speaker that completely destroys all frequencies except a homogeneous sound that just kills the entire flavor of any song, regardless of what that song is. Also, why is it that while I am on hold for certain companies their hold music always sounds like it's crackling?

My only point with this is that I know there have been many songs, bands, etc that I have overlooked my first, second, third or whatever listen because of the improper way of hearing them.

Suspended
    No Frenchie, I was just saying I wouldn't have had a clue as to who the artist was. Although being sealed and only .99 I may have picked it up any way to take the chance. Nothing like virgin vinyl.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    That's a ncie find. I have been fortunate that there is a recycling center near me and I go once every few weeks. Lots of people bring in their old vinyl. They charge two bucks for as many as you can put into a plastic grocery bag.

The other day a woman I have been renting from gave me about 500 albums. A lot of classical, Willie Nelson, Stones, Joan Baez, Nat King Cole, Pavorotti, Carpenters, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Mills Bros, and a lot of mixed compilations of jazz, movie soundtracks type stuff but you never know might be something worth something in the lot. Most of it looks in great shape. Fair bit of Jazz and swing in there which might be nice since I have little in that genre and I do quite like Big Band. I never pay attention to LP values - I buy them for the music but there could be something in the lot worth something LOL

I don't have the album you bought. I assume you like it so I'll see if one of the used record shops downtown has it. I love living in an area where I can say "one of the used record shops."

A couple years back I saw Diana Krall and her dad leaving the store getting into their car. Maybe 30 feet from me. Diana loves vinyl apparently. She has good taste.

I'm starting to run out of room with the vinyl stacks. Cd's all over the damn place. I'll need to go on that hoarders show pretty soon.

My advice - check your town's recycling center - most people think Vinyl is dead - they chuck it out and some of it is great and dirt cheap. It's where the record shops go to stock up.

Thread Information