What is the melting point for vinyl....

cause it is 102+ degrees here in Upland today and I have no A/C and I'm seriously ****ing melting - the Pacifico's aren't cold enough and the shade from the trees isn't over reaching enough.......OMG seriously....I'm dying but I don't want my vinyl to melt! ( i know it wont - but....ugh)

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    cause it is 102+ degrees here in Upland today and I have no A/C and I'm seriously ****ing melting - the Pacifico's aren't cold enough and the shade from the trees isn't over reaching enough.......OMG seriously....I'm dying but I don't want my vinyl to melt! ( i know it wont - but....ugh)
    Be-careful with running some of your gear in the heat of the day....maybe better when the sun goes down. Dont know about the temp of vinyl...google it and you may find some hits.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

There are actually building roofs made of vinyl.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Adam I would suggest a small fan for your gear. Vinyl stored in any prolonged, extreme temperature is no good, but I suspect you know that.

If I am supposed to feel bad about the heat, well....I don't. You live in California, suck it up. Come visit me in the winter and see what you think about the heat then. I will let you shovel my driveway.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    It will warp before it melts. Make sure records are on edge and packed closely so they do not have room to warp. Of course you need to drink plenty of liquids and avoid too much physical exertion.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I see it was 103 in Upland, CA yesterday. I live in Dallas and even I think that's hot.

Well try living is St. Louis where we are surrounded by the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Its not only hot, its humid as well. Go out side for a while and you start dripping with sweat. I wish I was back in North Carolina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I see it was 103 in Upland, CA yesterday. I live in Dallas and even I think that's hot.
    I lived in Houston during the 80's and it was hot, but it was a dry heat...sometimes it would constantly hit 101 for days. The only problems I had with that was the little bugs and nats flying around. But when you got wet heat in the 90's and abouts, it makes it miserable.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

hot here on so-cal

hey atomic (ever go to atomic records in burbank?), ambient temps like we get here in so-cal wont hurt your records if they are properly stored-vertically |||||| and not anywhere the direct sunlight. do circulate the room air with a fan.

poppa's admonition about the cold blustery weather in the northeast is right on. of course, for him its SOUTHeast (canada) but i am from about 100 miles from there-buffalo-and i for one an NOT leaving so-cal! btw, how good is rhino records over there?

noob, 102 IS hot but just the tip of the non-iceberg. it frequently goes over 110 here the LA area. in the early 70s when i was first here, it was 114 in burbank! a/c is nearly a necessity here. i lived in abilene in the mid-60s and the summers can be similar.. in basic training in san antonio, it ws +100 and 100% humidity most of the time i was there. THAT is miserable.

well adam, it looks like you dont have tubed equipment so some of the hazard of hot weather playing of audio is mitigated. consider buying A/C.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    You can store your vinyl in my air conditioned listening room. Just send them to

PS: It's 101 outside, 75 inside.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

I thought that too several times already,

just, don't park your records directly into the sun. Put them close to each other, and place them as vertical as you can. if they are not vertical they are more prone to warping...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    As a native New Yorker I've experience both extremes 0 to +100 temps. In the past I store some my vinyls in the attic and it got warp - now its in the basement where it's cooler.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Not sure what the melting point is but I am sure you could have melted them on my driveway this weekend...... Heat index of 110 and it was still 99 degrees at 7:30 PM!!!

We are not even into the dog days of August and I am already tired of the weather people here describing the mid 80's as a cold front!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    It will warp before it melts. Make sure records are on edge and packed closely so they do not have room to warp. Of course you need to drink plenty of liquids and avoid too much physical exertion.
    I'll second this. I used to have a very large record collection until my wife decided that they looked better stacked up behind the furnace. They didn't melt, but they sure did warp.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Would extreme cold have any affect on vinyls. I have a box of them in the garage which get pretty cold in the winter.

Is it a dry environment? Will anything fall on them or hit them?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    The garage is dry and the box is on a shelf out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus
    Would extreme cold have any affect on vinyls. I have a box of them in the garage which get pretty cold in the winter.

only if the environment is moist/humid, in this case the record might "freeze" in the winter, which might affect it, but, unless you're living on the north pole, I don't think this'll happen any time soon...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll move it to the basement to be on the safe side. Alternating cold and hot temperatures probably not so great on the vinyls in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    hey atomic (ever go to atomic records in burbank?), ambient temps like we get here in so-cal wont hurt your records if they are properly stored-vertically |||||| and not anywhere the direct sunlight. do circulate the room air with a fan.

poppa's admonition about the cold blustery weather in the northeast is right on. of course, for him its SOUTHeast (canada) but i am from about 100 miles from there-buffalo-and i for one an NOT leaving so-cal! btw, how good is rhino records over there?

noob, 102 IS hot but just the tip of the non-iceberg. it frequently goes over 110 here the LA area. in the early 70s when i was first here, it was 114 in burbank! a/c is nearly a necessity here. i lived in abilene in the mid-60s and the summers can be similar.. in basic training in san antonio, it ws +100 and 100% humidity most of the time i was there. THAT is miserable.

well adam, it looks like you dont have tubed equipment so some of the hazard of hot weather playing of audio is mitigated. consider buying A/C.
    I was at Lackland in April 1966.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    HEY JOE! where you goin' with that gun in your hand?!

i was at lakckland in aug '65 in the barracks just across from the drill pad. so you were there in cooler times.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended

When I was a young-un...

...we used to fix warped records by putting them between two pieces of window glass and setting them out in the sun. Only took an hour or two, depending on the temperature and the severity of the warp.

Heat can also be our friend.

Thread Information