AR Newbie Registered Member

please help - Sonus Faber or Focal Chorus??

I need help buying bookshelf speakers. It's between the Sonus Faber Liuto Monitor vs. the Focal Chorus 806V. The SF sounded a little better to me but they are more expensive ($2,998 vs. $798). It's an average size living room and I'll use a bass in the corner. Listen to all types of music - mostly acoustic, rock and roll, reggae. Are the SFs that much better that I should spend the extra money??

Thank you!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    You say you heard them, but you want our opinion?

I don't think the Faber's would be worth $2K more than the Focal, particularily if you have a sub doing the dirty work.

Go with your gut man. You listened to both no? What's in the rest of your system?

I'm biased 'cos I own a pair of JMlab Focals, admittedly not the ones you mention.
    I was always advised to "go with what suits you"; that includes what you can afford, but primarily its what sounds best for you.
    Take your favourite cd to the shop and listen to it on both .. it worked for me.

Suspended
    I also have an older pair of JM Labs before they decided to call themselves Focal. They are very typical for a french speaker. Fast, accurate, detailed and just plain enjoyable. My pair has a Berilium tweeter which when compared to silk can be a little fatiguing after a long loud session.

Coupled with a sub, they should be more than adequate. Like PC said, the leather facing sanus used to use just may not be worth the extra 2K but are also very nice speakers.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by spideysage
    I need help buying bookshelf speakers. It's between the Sonus Faber Liuto Monitor vs. the Focal Chorus 806V. The SF sounded a little better to me but they are more expensive ($2,998 vs. $798). It's an average size living room and I'll use a bass in the corner. Listen to all types of music - mostly acoustic, rock and roll, reggae. Are the SFs that much better that I should spend the extra money??

Thank you!
    For $800 or even less, you can get some very good small speakers. For $3000 you can get some excellent ones.

How did you come to just those two choices?
    What else is available to you?
    What else have you heard?

Don't get me wrong, for both Focal and SF are reputable companies that know how to make some good speakers. I ask this because you don't seem to have found a 'speaker for you' as I might put it. That is a speaker that sounds right to you with many recordings, that just lets you hear the music.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular
    mostly acoustic - Tekton OB's for less money than either

Charm Thai™
    Between those two choices I'd go for the Sonus Faber's. I haven't heard the Liuto but if its anything like the past few SF models my guess is that they sound much different than the Chorus' which is a good thing to me, making it worth the extra money. Sure you are paying for aesthetics too but if I want a good speaker that is also important to me.

Now if the Luito only sounds a "little" better to you than i don't think it's worth it.

Thread Information