Suspended

I dropped my CD Player and now it works better

A few years ago I bout a Rotel CDP. It had a few issues right away from manually closing the drawer and was sent back for repairs which was fine.

From the very first time I ever tried to play Disk 2 of Metallica S&M, it would not play. This disk would play on every other CDP or DVD or $20 boom box but not on the Rotel. I made a copy of the disk and that played just fine in the Rotel. No other purchased disk I have had this problem.

Last week or so when I was redoing my setup into the new VTI racks, I was dusting all my gear. I had the Rotel standing on its end and for a brief second I took my hand off of it and it dropped to the carpet onto its feet. It was not as much of a drop from any height, just from its side onto its feet.

I have not played either of the S&M disks for some time. The other day I decided to spin disk 2 since that is my favorite. Without even thinking, I grabbed the real disk 2 and not the copy that was in the case.

When it was finished playing and I went to put it away, I realized that the real disk played for the very first time. I have no idea why it would never play before but somehow dropping the player over from its side must have jogged the laser just enough to be able to read this disk now.

Anyone else ever experience something like this or have an explanation as to what may have happened for the good instead of bad?

Ah yes...

From the darkest earliest ages of electronics, sometimes every device needs a good THWACK on the side to get it working just right.

Worf

Our old TV used to need a smack every now and then to work right. I also used to have a turntable that would stop working now and then. I would take it apart to find no problems. Put it back together and it would work fine for about 6 months. Rinse and repeat...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

could be something that was preventing the laser to track optimal, that is now gone, some dust here and there, maybe...

I used to do that with our Playstation one, and most of the times this worked...

I wouldn't advice doing this constantly though...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

You know....If you come up with a good design for a Whacking Glove, you might have something there....The possibilities, man. Think about it!

Hey, if it worked for Jacko....

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    You know....If you come up with a good design for a Whacking Glove, you might have something there....The possibilities, man. Think about it!

Hey, if it worked for Jacko....

EEeeee-HEEEeeeee

Just had to got there didn't ya? There goes another coupla bicuspids!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Forum Regular
    Yes, for some strange reasons dropping or whacking sensitive electronic equipment gets you the desired results..... I havenīt tried THAT with the wife.....

Thread Information