Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

physical reactions to your music

I finished listening to Pink Floyd Wish You Where Here, and while listening I completely zoned out for a bit, obviously. When I came to I found myself intensely gripping [ the Kennsington grip ] my phone which was on my lap. I was like WOW, I've been sitting motionless, tense, my whole body, but mainly arms and legs, in a tense strain, breathing slowly and with very little noise for at least 10min. The music made me do it unconsciously.

As the ones and zeros continued to spin I kept a bit of a mind to my body. By the end of several tense build ups followed by slight bits of relaxation to a final time with a funky after glue ending, I couldn't help but feel I had just had intercourse with the music.

At this point I'm the happiest I've been all day.

What physical reactions do you folks find your bodies going through as you listen to your music? And to go into more detail... Do you think a physical reaction is do to volume, system ability/dynamics and detail, the music only, some combination of everything. Though you can't pick the last one cause that is too easy an out.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I finished listening to Pink Floyd Wish You Where Here, and while listening I completely zoned out for a bit, obviously. When I came to I found myself intensely gripping [ the Kennsington grip ] my phone which was on my lap. I was like WOW, I've been sitting motionless, tense, my whole body, but mainly arms and legs, in a tense strain, breathing slowly and with very little noise for at least 10min. The music made me do it unconsciously.

As the ones and zeros continued to spin I kept a bit of a mind to my body. By the end of several tense build ups followed by slight bits of relaxation to a final time with a funky after glue ending, I couldn't help but feel I had just had intercourse with the music.

What physical reactions do you folks find your bodies going through as you listen to your music? And to go into more detail... Do you think a physical reaction is do to volume, system ability/dynamics and detail, the music only, some combination of everything. Though you can't pick the last one cause that is too easy an out.
    aA, sorry, but I don't recall any clear physcial reactions to listening to music personally. Are you sure you're well? A touch of flu maybe?

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    sarah mclachlin gives me wood
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Suspended
    I suffer from Marijuana withdrawal. ESPECIALLY when I'm listening to Pink Floyd.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I suffer from Marijuana withdrawal. ESPECIALLY when I'm listening to Pink Floyd.
    Did they run out of it in Texas? (probably when dubya moved back eh?)
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    sarah mclachlin gives me wood
    And she said I was the only one!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I

I think if your not getting a reaction from your system then you don't have the right system.

It's almost impossible for me to do anything else but listen to music when my system is on. Zoning out and forgetting everything else but the music is what GOOD audio should be about!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

I hear you can buy some at the border.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

AA....have you seen my signature? It says :Music...let it into your soul and be moved.

And you have just done that..but on a totally different level. Your experience was more like what happened in my micro dot, purple haze, orange sushine...chocolate mess days of the 80's.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

On a more serious note...Last Saturday I was listening to Charles Earlands "Intensity" album and the song . "Happy 'Cause I'm Goin' Home". The song was so involved that it drew me in and kept my attention into what the music was doing. It was one of those songs that seemed they never wanted to stop and they where just jamming at a high level. I mean I was all in that song....you sorta let it into your soul and you zone out and everything around you seems to fade away...all but whats going on in the music...at that point I am totally involved and dead to anything around me. When the song stops you sorta lay back and let out a sigh of releaf and relax a little bit. At that point you know you have had an experience with your gear and your music. It has done its job and you know you are not just a normal listener but a true lover of gear and sound. Though I have never had your experience AA outside of the 80's, I still very much enjoy my gear and music....it still moves me!

I want to say congrats and I want to say be careful. ...Congrats because of the high level experience with your gear and music...the feeling is like a good time with your wife if you know what I mean. And be careful to how much you open up your mind...I don't know about you, but I believe in evil forces and evil forces love a wide open mind.

Cheers...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Lay off Sarah - She's mine - she's single now too. Woohoo.

New album out the other day but I am living in the sticks and can't get to it. All her stuff comes out on vinyl so I might wait a bit.

Charm Thai™
    When I listen to Danzig I want to find the heaviest object in the room and military press it over my head 10 times lol.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    When I listen to Danzig I want to find the heaviest object in the room and military press it over my head 10 times lol.
    When I hear Mother I wanna beat up someone's dad...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I think all of yous are takin my 80's experience into 2010.

I'm kind of being serious about this.

I'm wondering about the emotional response to music. Like, do higher volumes produce a bit of pain and there for dopamine reactions? And does music that swells and ebbs throughout the album give you more chances to reach that volume/pain peak and build up dopamine? And is there something to that? Something in that combination that allows us to really enjoy and feel and be moved by the music, more than just the music?

Or, is it that the music has to be good to begin with, something we like, and on a good system we just get pulled in. I've listened to a fair amount of good systems, and what I consider to be great music at home on this Electrocompaniet system, but rarely do I awake in the middle of a song, or at the end, after a climax. I am wondering if it is the volume+system+music that (and when I mean higher volume, I mean just load enough so that right at the peak of the volume on the CD it just being a bit too loud, but not like blow your ears out concert level). So I zone back in and find muscle tense, breathing very slow and shallow, and my ears feeling like they just ... well ... errr ... you know ... ummm ... finished, so to speak.

I've heard good systems and higher volumes that don't give me this reaction. But typically some where other than home, so I tend to not completely zone out like I do in the comfort of my own living room.

Anyways, no pot or beer involved in this, so I'm seriously wondering. Would a lesser system give equal pleasure with the same volume/music or is it a combination of very good system+volume+music. Or does volume even have to be in there for you folks. For me, I need the music volume to pretty much block everything else out and for the speakers to disappear and to feel like i am in headphones that are my room, instead of k701 cans.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    When I hear Mother I can't help but think about glandular problems.

I'm wondering about the emotional response to music. Like, do higher volumes produce a bit of pain and there for dopamine reactions? And does music that swells and ebbs throughout the album give you more chances to reach that volume/pain peak and build up dopamine? And is there something to that? Something in that combination that allows us to really enjoy and feel and be moved by the music, more than just the music?

Or, is it that the music has to be good to begin with, something we like, and on a good system we just get pulled in. I've listened to a fair amount of good systems, and what I consider to be great music at home on this Electrocompaniet system, but rarely do I awake in the middle of a song, or at the end, after a climax. I am wondering if it is the volume+system+music that (and when I mean higher volume, I mean just load enough so that right at the peak of the volume on the CD it just being a bit too loud, but not like blow your ears out concert level). So I zone back in and find muscle tense, breathing very slow and shallow, and my ears feeling like they just ... well ... errr ... you know ... ummm ... finished, so to speak.

I've heard good systems and higher volumes that don't give me this reaction. But typically some where other than home, so I tend to not completely zone out like I do in the comfort of my own living room.

Anyways, no pot or beer involved in this, so I'm seriously wondering. Would a lesser system give equal pleasure with the same volume/music or is it a combination of very good system+volume+music. Or does volume even have to be in there for you folks. For me, I need the music volume to pretty much block everything else out and for the speakers to disappear and to feel like i am in headphones that are my room, instead of k701 cans.
    I think its a certain level or peek that you personally reach that causes you to be drawn in. But who knows...you may need to find scientific or spiritual reasons why it happens. John Coltrain went on a spiritual mission with his music remember? John McLaughlin was another. Some musicians are known and have reported of reaching an altered state of consciousness with their music...and listeners can also reach this altered state of consciousness within music...and not all of them where using drugs.

Some people never reach any level of an altered state or zoning. Those that do all have different levels. I've never reached the level of "being moved" as you have but I am "moved" by music. We all have certain passions and music is a passion of mine. It does not have to be loud music or many instruments in a song....it has to be that right passion or emotion that moves me and when it does im lost in my own little world moving and groving to the music so slightly. Of course when in in a zone I am totally alone with no one around...my mind is totally into what is happening within the music. Dont think its strange how music moves people...Dont know how spiritual you are, but humans did not create music God did. The bible talks about singing and muisc in heaven..if you are into that sorta stuff. But if you believe in heaven and what is good, then you must believe in hell and what is evil...for one can not exist without the other...so evil forces can use music and play on you for evil...I was serious in my posting above about being careful of how much you leave your mind open.....we all have whats called a sub-conscience.

Oh btw...I was at a buddy's house last week who had a Mcintosh 225 tube amp, and Audio Reasearch LS15 tube preamp, home made speakers with Vifa mid woofers and Morel tweaters, home made speaker wire, and home made interconnects and a Electrocompaniet CDP. That thing was just jamming...one heck of a CDP, best audio system I have ever heard....that joker can take you into a zone with ease with its fidelity.

I'm wondering about the emotional response to music.
    Now I can enter the conversation because I've experienced a deep emotional attachment to music since I was about twelve.

Like, do higher volumes produce a bit of pain and there for dopamine reactions? ...Something in that combination that allows us to really enjoy and feel and be moved by the music, more than just the music?
    Perhaps that is what drives others, but not me. I am averse to really loud music and such provides no such enjoyment for me. My left ear tends to start "crackling" above 95 db and that's when I reach for the earplugs.

Or, is it that the music has to be good to begin with, something we like, and on a good system we just get pulled in.
    That's more like it for me. An emotional piece can still bring tears to my ears on my iPhone, but a spectacular system like Harry Pearson's can transport me to a different place where the walls disappear and I am totally immersed in the sound in all of its beauty and complexity. As for me, higher resolution systems can provide the same "high" at lower output levels. I am less a "power listener" than he.

Or does volume even have to be in there for you folks.
    Not volume so much as authority. While virtually all amplified concerts I've heard are at ear bleeding levels, I've yet to hear one that possesses this sense of effortless and natural delivery. That there is no audio gear involved. Authority is part power, part clarity and part dynamic punch. Forget pro sound reinforcement gear.

rw

Cool

NOT A NICE THOUGHT for fathers day....
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Music is great for bringing back memories
    A song reminds one of a certain time and place, and this means more and more the older you get.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Well, if'n you want to get all serious about it...

IMHO, fo rme it's rather a wholistic experience the reaction and severity of which is indeed dictated by both the quality of the recording and the playback system. I would also add that particular genres will evoke different reactions (I wasn't all altogether joking with the "Mother" reference).

Jazz on a good system makes me happy; small ensemble Classical is generally calming...occasionally Symphonic as well.

I suspect that this question will get very few responses if only because so few people even within our community listen to entire albums anymore. I'm not saying that one has to listen to an entire work to have an emotional response but for me (and me only) it generally takes more than three minutes and some seconds.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I suspect that this question will get very few responses if only because so few people even within our community listen to entire albums anymore. I'm not saying that one has to listen to an entire work to have an emotional response but for me (and me only) it generally takes more than three minutes and some seconds.
    Yes, I'm pretty much an all or nothing type of listener. If I only like one song on an album, I generally wont buy it. I've been pretty lucky with LPs so far, most of the time it seems all the good songs are on one side while the so-so song are on another. But I believe it does take an entire piece to get me moving. Which would mean, themed albums maybe get emotional response from me more than a couple songs.

I'm kind of thinking in a way about hot food. One reason some people like spicy hot food is that it produces an adrenaline rush and releases dopamine into the system. I'm wondering if at a certain intensity of music volume vrs a memory response to a song, is what puts me into that tense and still state where when the album is finished I feel like I've just had a lil supin supin w/ the music.

I'm wondering if at a certain intensity of music volume vrs a memory response to a song, is what puts me into that tense and still state where when the album is finished I feel like I've just had a lil supin supin w/ the music.
    That and the fact that you have put your soul into the music to the point where you are being moved. You have connected to the music where as you are a part of it. Sort like a computer. Until it connects to a network its just a separate object....once it connects to the network it becomes one with the network and therefore part of it...when you put your soul into the music to a certain degree and level...you have connected and become as one with it...therefore you have an emotional response to it...all those who do connect....may have different responses.....as it may be, some never connect and never go beyond listening.

I feel ya here....if I put on an album or CD...its for the entire ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information