Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Using non-HDMI receiver with HDMI Projector and Blu-Ray

Hi Folks
    I started out with hopes of getting a set of receiver, Blu Ray, set of 5.1 speakers (with front floor standers) and a projector for my basement. However, with the speed with which home theater gear is evolving and the fact that I happened to get little short supplied on the 'greens', I have decided to utilize my existing receiver/speakers in basement.

So I guess I will be getting projector and Blu Ray only. The question I have is following, and depending upon the answers/suggestions/advise/recommendation will help me decide if I should go forward with the whole new gear or just new projector and Blu Ray.

My existing HK Receiver (its actually HK CP35 HTiB for which I did a rookie review for, 4 yrs ago on audioreview.com at http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-...0_4281crx.aspx )

This is a non-HDMI receiver. So I am thinking of getting a Blu Ray player and connecting it directly to my yet-to-arrive projector via HDMI cable bypassing the receiver. Would this give me same video performace had I had a Blu Ray connected to my projector via HDMI capable receiver? Also, if I did that, how do I channel the sound from Blu Ray to all my speakers via receiver?

Thank you
    Home Theater:
    • Harman Kardon AVR 335
      (Supplied 7.1 Channel speaker with this receiver as HTiB)
    • Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu Ray
    • XBOX 360 Slim
    • Belkin Pure AV PF-30 Power Conditioner
    • Epson Home Cinema 8700 UB Projector
    • Logitech Harmony 880

http://picasaweb.google.com/arm.amar/HomeTheater#

Family Room:
    • Panasonic 42" 42PX600U Plasma
    • Harman Kardon DVD31
    • Motorola Cable Box

Suspended
    Theoretically, you could even get slightly better performance by going direct to Projector but most likely not much visible difference as long as the receiver had good video circuits for the signal to pass through. So, what I'm saying is there is absolutely no problem going with your video directly to projector. This may be a long run so be sure to get a cable of quality.
    At least a: www.bluejeanscable.com

You would use either optical or coaxial digital audio from Blu-ray to receiver. You will still get slightly better sound from Blu-ray discs but you will not be able to utilize the HD audio formats (Dolby Tru-HD/DTS-MA) as they can only pass via HDMI.

Your set up could be prone to sync issues where the audio is slightly out of sync with the video. Hopefully not, but the set up would at least let you use the HK until saving up for an upgrade.

Does your receiver have analog audio 5.1 in?
    Does your BR player have analog audio 5.1 out?
    If so, you could still get the HD audio formats. If not, then the optical or coaxial digital audio from Blu-ray to receiver will sound great as Mr. P pointed out.

The HDMI to projector works perfectly.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Does your receiver have analog audio 5.1 in?
    Does your BR player have analog audio 5.1 out?
    If so, you could still get the HD audio formats. If not, then the optical or coaxial digital audio from Blu-ray to receiver will sound great as Mr. P pointed out.

The HDMI to projector works perfectly.
    The only problem with going separate routes for audio and video, is syncing issues which are a huge problem. HDMI uses a word clock to line sync the video and audio. If you have the video passing through the clock without the audio, they will get out of sync very quickly, and there is no way to accurately correct it. If you use the analog in's, you should use the component ins at the projector as well.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The only problem with going separate routes for audio and video, is syncing issues which are a huge problem. HDMI uses a word clock to line sync the video and audio. If you have the video passing through the clock without the audio, they will get out of sync very quickly, and there is no way to accurately correct it. If you use the analog in's, you should use the component ins at the projector as well.
    An interesting "problem", as its one I have never run into, nor has anyone else that I have heard of.
    USING HDMI connection directly, with the coax or toslink digital out for audio will work fine, I did it for a year until I upgraded to a receiver with HDMI switching.
    TALKY loves to brag about his special built stuff, probably where his problems(outside of his personality) comes from.
    But for those of us who buy our gear in a store, its a non problem.
    And most receivers have video sync just in case you do have problems.
    But I had more problems with DVD audio sync.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Pix, I'm sure Sir T will check you but until then, you are wrong. First of all how would the receiver's sync function work when the video wouldn't even pass through it? In earlier receivers there were sync issues in some with just using digital audio and video into the same receiver. If you've never had the problem you have been lucky. I have been lucky as well but the fact that some have sync issues, is just that, a fact. Whether the OP will have sync issues is something that may or may not happen but I'd say the longer the video run the more likely sync will be an issue. In the OP's set up the video and audio will be taking totally separate paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    This could really be an issue for me...

I'm about to purchase a Samsung c6500 and use the analog audio outs to my older HK receiver and I currently run HDMI to the projector (50').

Should i go with component cable, will i lose any video detail from the blu-ray movie? Projector is 720p.
    How about upconverting my older DVD movies...will i lose the upconversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    This could really be an issue for me...

I'm about to purchase a Samsung c6500 and use the analog audio outs to my older HK receiver and I currently run HDMI to the projector (50').

Should i go with component cable, will i lose any video detail from the blu-ray movie? Projector is 720p.
    How about upconverting my older DVD movies...will i lose the upconversion?
    So, i've searched online and found some answers to my own questions...

it seems:
    - blu-ray can send 720p or 1080i over component cables.
    - blu-ray cannot upconvert standard DVDs over component cables.

I have a HD DVD and Denon SD DVD players so i can use those to upconvert via HDMI and run component cable from the blu-ray player to projector (if i run into sync issues).

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Pix, I'm sure Sir T will check you but until then, you are wrong. First of all how would the receiver's sync function work when the video wouldn't even pass through it? In earlier receivers there were sync issues in some with just using digital audio and video into the same receiver. If you've never had the problem you have been lucky. I have been lucky as well but the fact that some have sync issues, is just that, a fact. Whether the OP will have sync issues is something that may or may not happen but I'd say the longer the video run the more likely sync will be an issue. In the OP's set up the video and audio will be taking totally separate paths.
    THE VIDEO would'nt need to pass through.
    You adjust the sync until the audio and video are syncronized.
    But I have never had to use it.
    Its an audio adjustment, and was born from the fact that DVD audio and video
    sometimes was off.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

So, i've searched online and found some answers to my own questions...

it seems:
    - blu-ray can send 720p or 1080i over component cables.
    - blu-ray cannot upconvert standard DVDs over component cables.

I have a HD DVD and Denon SD DVD players so i can use those to upconvert via HDMI and run component cable from the blu-ray player to projector (if i run into sync issues).
    You wont.
    BTW an upconverted DVD can look good, but you don't get any extra resolution from
    upconverting one.
    I wouldnt worry about the Denon or HD player, it would be a lot simpler and elegant just to use the BLU for everything.
    I have never heard of the inability to run upconverted DVD over component, but then again I HAVE NEVER USED component for BLU.
    Run the HDMI to the projector, its your best connection, with a visible improvement
    over component.
    Don't be scared by a certain troll and his imaginary "sync" issues.
    I used an Integra 7.4(five years old) and several BLU players over a year, sending
    the HDMI TO my monitor, and the audio to the receiver from the player, by either coax
    (preferred) or optical, and never had any problems.
    Plan on it not happening, and in the unlikely even it does, deal with it then.
    WAIT UNTIL ITS A PROBLEM, before you compromise your system over it.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    You wont.
    BTW an upconverted DVD can look good, but you don't get any extra resolution from
    upconverting one.
    I wouldnt worry about the Denon or HD player, it would be a lot simpler and elegant just to use the BLU for everything.
    I have never heard of the inability to run upconverted DVD over component, but then again I HAVE NEVER USED component for BLU.
    Run the HDMI to the projector, its your best connection, with a visible improvement
    over component.
    Don't be scared by a certain troll and his imaginary "sync" issues.
    I used an Integra 7.4(five years old) and several BLU players over a year, sending
    the HDMI TO my monitor, and the audio to the receiver from the player, by either coax
    (preferred) or optical, and never had any problems.
    Plan on it not happening, and in the unlikely even it does, deal with it then.
    WAIT UNTIL ITS A PROBLEM, before you compromise your system over it.
    It's not that there is an inability to run upconverted DVD over component, it's just that the BR player will not output upconverted DVD's through the component connections. Some kind of licensing thing. The HD-DVD (or PS3) will not either. Only over HDMI.

I run an HDMI cable from my DVR to the projector and a tosh cable from the DVR to the receiver. I have no sync isues, but if Sir T says it could happen, I'd bet moneythat it could happen. And I don't bet on much.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's not that there is an inability to run upconverted DVD over component, it's just that the BR player will not output upconverted DVD's through the component connections. Some kind of licensing thing. The HD-DVD (or PS3) will not either. Only over HDMI.

I run an HDMI cable from my DVR to the projector and a tosh cable from the DVR to the receiver. I have no sync isues, but if Sir T says it could happen, I'd bet moneythat it could happen. And I don't bet on much.
    Yes it can happen, and a few months ago Bluray.com had a huge thread on it. It doesn't occur with all equipment, but it occurs with enough equipment to be a problem. The reality is, it never happens with an HDMI connection, and if it does, it is usually a software problem, not a problem with HDMI itself.

On the Bluray.com thread, the common thread for syncing issues was the use of two different connections for audio and video. Nobody using HDMI only had this issue. Now folks can listen to Pix(who has the track record of BP oil), but you could find yourself with your fanny in a crack in doing so. It is always better to use the HDMI connection, if only for the word clock that aligns both audio and video in sync frame by frame.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular

If You Don't Get TruAudio Sound You're Wasting Your Money!

I asked a similar question about 2 years ago before I got my Blu-Ray player as I had an older Denon A/V 3801 receiver whose sound I loved but no HDMI input. What I did based on comments here was get a Panadonic Blu-Ray Player with analog outputs which I connected to my Denon Receiver and the audio is fantastic. I connected the video by HDMI directly to my HDTV and its also great.

If you're Blu-Ray players doesn't have analog outs if you're receiver doesn't have an HDMI input for audio, then you're wasting your money because Tru Audio sound is fantastic and a night and day difference over regular surround sound.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    If you're Blu-Ray players doesn't have analog outs if you're receiver doesn't have an HDMI input for audio, then you're wasting your money because Tru Audio sound is fantastic and a night and day difference over regular surround sound.
    thanks guys...i'm using a analog friendly AVR so i'm gonna run the 7.1 analog connection from the Samsung C6500 to my HK AVR and video-wise the HDMI directly to the projector...if there are sync issues, i'm going to deal with that later as pixelthis suggested.

Really looking forward to cranking the HT on the audio side and hope my AVR cannot keep up and force me to go with a separate amp....while keeping the wife happy with streaming movies from netflix! Best of both worlds!!!!

Suspended
    How well that analog hook up will work will depend on how much speaker set up controls the Samsung BDP has. The analog will bypass your receiver's internal settings so you have to set speaker level, delay, bass management etc inside the BDP.

Cool

thanks guys...i'm using a analog friendly AVR so i'm gonna run the 7.1 analog connection from the Samsung C6500 to my HK AVR and video-wise the HDMI directly to the projector...if there are sync issues, i'm going to deal with that later as pixelthis suggested.

Really looking forward to cranking the HT on the audio side and hope my AVR cannot keep up and force me to go with a separate amp....while keeping the wife happy with streaming movies from netflix! Best of both worlds!!!!
    HATE TO BE THE BEARER of bad news, but it will work fine.
    I had a similar setup until I BROKE DOWN AND GOT A RECEIVER WITH HDMI
    switching.
    Why? I wanted to see the TRU HD or DTS MA on my receiver, and paid for it too.
    Anyway, congrats, the first time I heard the amazing sound from a BLU disc I WAS
    astounded, to say the least.
    I would budget money for a new receiver in the future, however, HDMI is a great way to hook your system up , everything integrates great.
    TOOK EM A FEW TRYS(component, DVI) , but they finally got it right.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    HATE TO BE THE BEARER of bad news, but it will work fine.
    I had a similar setup until I BROKE DOWN AND GOT A RECEIVER WITH HDMI
    switching.
    Why? I wanted to see the TRU HD or DTS MA on my receiver, and paid for it too.
    Anyway, congrats, the first time I heard the amazing sound from a BLU disc I WAS
    astounded, to say the least.
    I would budget money for a new receiver in the future, however, HDMI is a great way to hook your system up , everything integrates great.
    TOOK EM A FEW TRYS(component, DVI) , but they finally got it right.
    Although Sir T will be happy to see your praise of HDMI, the handling of it's conception and marketing was pure amateur hour and crossed the line into fraud. I personally have not heard of any major issues recently with compatibility HDMI still has bugs with certain brands, I think it's more of a hand shake issue. Every one associated with the HDMI LLC needs to be behind bars.

Although Sir T will be happy to see your praise of HDMI, the handling of it's conception and marketing was pure amateur hour and crossed the line into fraud. I personally have not heard of any major issues recently with compatibility HDMI still has bugs with certain brands, I think it's more of a hand shake issue. Every one associated with the HDMI LLC needs to be behind bars.
    I wouldn't be too hard on HDMI for its rollout. Some of it was their fault, and a very big portion was not. When HDMI was rolled out, it was predetermined that 8 channels of 24/192khz PCM audio would be the primary carrier of video soundtracks, and that would accomodate backwards compatibility with Dts and Dolby Lossy, and 2 channel PCM as well. It for sure could carry the data rate of 1080p video and its metadata. So HDMI 1.0 was originally the standard, as it covered all of these requirements. Then Panasonic wanted DVD-Audio support, so the HDMI committee caved in(Panasonic is a major on the board) and HDMI 1.1 came on board. Because Panasonic got its way with DVD-A, Sony wanted SACD(and DSD) supported, and then came HDMI 1.2 just behind 1.1. The the CE manufacturers wanted a way to bitstream Dts-HD-MA and Dolby TruHD from player to receiver(just like DVD, but completely unnecessary), so 1.3 standard was adopted. The benefit of this upgrade really went to Sony's SACD with the ability to transmit SACD via a more efficient DST, as opposed to the raw DSD format.

All of these updates occurred within 5 years - 5 years the manufacturers of receivers and Blu ray players, and HDMI chip makers could not keep up with the transitions. HDMI chip makers never delivered on time because stamping yields were not antiquate, and the beat goes on. For five years the foolishness went like chip makers tell the HDMI committee they can deliver on time, HDMI makes announcement on a new standard, the chip makers could not deliver the chips to the manufacturers, and so there could be no market coordination whatsoever. So the fault while on the surface belongs to HDMI LLC, it was the chip makers late delivery of HDMI transmitters that was the root of the problem. Now we are headed to another standard just four years after the last was finally adopted. The market coordination appears to be much better this time around though.

You can blame HDMI LLC committee member for pushing their own technologies and agendas into the mix as well. If Panasonic had not asked for DVD-A support we would still be back at 1.0. If Sony didn't insist on SACD support(to compete with Panasonics DVD-A support) then we would be at standard 1.0. If the manufacturers didn't want want bit streaming as a way of product differentiation(when it had no sonic benefit), then we would still be back at 1.0. Now they want 3D and 4K resolution, two way communication, higher data rates, and here we go again.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

I know about your troubles Mr P, BUT beleive me it could have been a lot worse.
    This was a complicated proceedure, made worse by studios that at first didn't want
    anything but analog connections(hence the multichannel inputs that certainly didnt
    help the high rez audio formats), and then decided they didnt want anything but
    digital.
    Then a DVI connector, then the HDMI connector we use today.
    I have never had a serious problem with HDMI, my TV is currently changing the rez
    on my cable box at start-up, but that was easily solved.
    I THINK THE MAIN reason for my lack of trouble was that I waited and let things get sorted.
    Tired of being a pioneer, you know, those guys with arrows in their backs?
    Bought a 1200$ receiver, and its' video switching was obsolete in a year,
    as video went to DVI from component.
    And then OUTLAW got caught with an exelent pre-pro with DVI switching!
    Now if they don't change it next week...
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

How well that analog hook up will work will depend on how much speaker set up controls the Samsung BDP has. The analog will bypass your receiver's internal settings so you have to set speaker level, delay, bass management etc inside the BDP.
    HK is somewhat unique as it has 4 different settings for the 6 and 8 channel direct inputs (originally for DVD-A / SACD). I can use them to apply bass management if the Samsung lacks. Still may lack for speaker settings, etc.

This is from the manual:
    The 8 CH DIRECT INPUT should
    be used when an input is connected to all eight
    8-Channel Direct Inputs and when the
    input source device has its own internal bass
    management system
    . This input passes the input
    from the source directly through to the volume
    control without any analog to digital conversion
    and it mutes the unused input jacks to prevent
    unwanted noise from interfering with system
    performance.
     The 8 CH DVD AUDIO input should
    be used when an input is connected to all eight
    8-Channel Direct Inputs
    and the input
    source device does NOT have its own internal
    bass management system. When this input is in
    use the analog source is converted to digital so
    that you may use the same Triple Crossover bass
    management options for the direct input as you
    do with all other outputs. This input also mutes
    the unused input jacks to prevent unwanted noise
    from interfering with system performance.

Suspended
    That's a cool feature for analog DVD. The only bad thing the signal is originally digital, then converted to analog, then back to digital, then back to analog. That's a lot of manipulation. Still probably a better way to go than using the bare bones adjust provided by the BDP.

Forum Regular
    Thanks everyone for responding. I will have to re-read what you all suggested.

At this point of time, I am really on fence as what to do. May be I can leave my existing setup in FR and get the whole new gear for my basement when I have my budget. Now that a lot of manufacturers are coming up with new stuff. Pioneer is going to announce new entry level Elite HDMI 1.4 capable receivers by end of June and higher end model sometimes in mid-July. Panasonic will hopefully have new projectors in September. Not sure if I want to wait that long, and not that Projectors would/could be 3D capable anyway!

P.S. Forego a Pioneer Elite SC25 for $850-all inclusive. It was 'too much' of a receiver for me.
    Home Theater:
    • Harman Kardon AVR 335
    • XBOX 360 Slim
    • Logitech Harmony 880

Family Room:
    • Harman Kardon DVD31
    • Motorola Cable Box

Forum Regular
    Also if I add more video source that is HDMI capable, it'd get increasingly difficult to direct them all to my projector. Unless there is some kind of HDMI Y splitter or a HDMI switch available to take multiple input and sends one output to a projector(but wait just a minute, isn't that called a receiver?)
    Home Theater:
    • Harman Kardon AVR 335
    • XBOX 360 Slim
    • Logitech Harmony 880

Family Room:
    • Harman Kardon DVD31
    • Motorola Cable Box

Quote Originally Posted by amarmistry
    Also if I add more video source that is HDMI capable, it'd get increasingly difficult to direct them all to my projector. Unless there is some kind of HDMI Y splitter or a HDMI switch available to take multiple input and sends one output to a projector(but wait just a minute, isn't that called a receiver?)

this recalls the 70s and 80s when you actually had to get up and change the channel. Since if have 3 HDMI sources and one projector, i'm forced to move the cable around. One caveat, the Denon DVD player positions the HDMI cable inverted from the other 2...tough feat in the dark when carrying a buzzzz.

Not too bad though as i mostly watch hockey/directv movies in the HT room..no big deal, but losing the the newer audio formats via HDMI sucks!

amarmistry, you can always get a HDMI switcher from monoprice...cheap, but then again i'm cheap and i'm hoping to add a separate amp before springing for a newer AVR or switcher. Guess that is the audiophile in me.

That's a cool feature for analog DVD. The only bad thing the signal is originally digital, then converted to analog, then back to digital, then back to analog. That's a lot of manipulation. Still probably a better way to go than using the bare bones adjust provided by the BDP.

Mr. P...yep, that is a lot of conversions. Never really thought it through...not the best solution, but guess it works in a pinch. Looking at the blu's manual it provides speaker size, but no bass management...so maybe they can work together. Either way it sounds like i need to do some experimenting. Saving money is never easy.

Since i'm sending the newer audio formats from blu-ray to my AVR via analog 7.1 outs..does this mean 1 less conversion? I'm not good at this stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information