Forum Regular

Razor Your Magnepans

I put together a "how to" guide to an incredible tweak that improved my maggies immensely and thought I would share:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MU...15/155318.html

Suspended
    Pretty cool. My speakers have Feet but no Socks.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrazor
    I put together a "how to" guide to an incredible tweak that improved my maggies immensely and thought I would share:

Pretty neat. Has anyone tried this on 3.6's?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Pretty neat. Has anyone tried this on 3.6's?
    Hi Geoffcin,

In the writeup I list Bibo01. IIRC he has 3.6s and he did the half razor. Acurus has the 2.7s and did a half razor on that.

I think the theory of stopping the vibration from getting back into the driver frame is valid for all mags. Sure there will be some specific differences between models and more material will be needed for the bigger mags (the quantities I mention were for the mmgs) but the results will be similar and perhaps even more so on the bigger mags as they probably vibrate even more.

If you think about it, the magnets are the whole pole piece side, so if that is vibrating, so are the magnets which causes the mylar to vibrate in response. This clouds resolution, but once it is gone, it is amazing what the speakers can do.

A speaker that allready is resolving and images amazingly is even better...downright scary what these speakers can do.

Interesting. Seems logical. Not sure I'd have the balls to cut open a set of Maggies (if I owed them). though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hi Geoffcin,

A speaker that allready is resolving and images amazingly is even better...downright scary what these speakers can do.
    Damping of vibration is the Mye stands claim to fame too. I can attest that the bass becomes even more taught and dynamic with Mye stands, espcially at higher volumes. I never though to damp the panel internally though.

Time to get out the box cutter!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Interesting. Thanks, DR.

Seems there's always a new to improve Magnepans. Why don't they just come out with these 'tweaks' at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Seems there's always a new to improve Magnepans. Why don't they just come out with these 'tweaks' at the factory?
    I would expect that there's a cost issue involved. Certainly the Mye stands aren't cheap (about $600), and I would expect the time consuming hand application of all of the damping material would add considerably too (maybe even more thna the stands!). While incredible speakers, Magnepans are NOT "cost is no object" speakers.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Damping of vibration is the Mye stands claim to fame too. I can attest that the bass becomes even more taught and dynamic with Mye stands, espcially at higher volumes. I never though to damp the panel internally though.

Time to get out the box cutter!
    YIKES. You dont need a box cutter. The speaker grills (socks) are held in place by staples, hundreds o them...no need to cut. The how to guide has a link to instructions on how to remove the socks.

Yep, it is a similar principle to the mye stands, but it gets vibrations right away. Anyhow the improvement of the full razor is amazing.

Please let us know how it turns out, and do know that the tweak IS reversible. But I dont think you will want to...

IMHO this really goes along way to address some of the few maggie weaknesses.

This is the cheapest tweak of all. All single ended Maggy's sound better from the back. Just turn them around and listen to the rear.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    This is the cheapest tweak of all. All single ended Maggy's sound better from the back. Just turn them around and listen to the rear.
    I agree there though I would say it is just as good to get them vertical while you are at it, but maybe not as cheap.

Though I hope that most people would have already found the proper placement etc, before looking up maggies skirt to Razor them.

Thread Information