Forum Regular

Reciever/ps3 issue?

I have a Sony STR-DH700 Receiver. Hooked up via HDMI straight to 42" Panasonic Viera LCD flat panel. HDMI to PS3 and HDMI to Comcast cable box. When I try to change the settings for sound/speakers using the A.F.D., 2ch, and Movie buttons, the receiver displays "not used" and i cannot choose different settings. It works great and these buttons do work when im watching tv, the only time it does not work is when im using ps3 so therefore im assuming its a ps3 audio setting problem. i went through the settings and it all seems good. i have all 5.1 and 7.1 settings check marked. still cant change it. it worked fine for a month after i hooked it up, but all of a sudden i came home and it didnt work. i reformatted the ps3 settings to factory and also reset receiver settings back to factory, still nothing. any ideas?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder000
    I have a Sony STR-DH700 Receiver. Hooked up via HDMI straight to 42" Panasonic Viera LCD flat panel. HDMI to PS3 and HDMI to Comcast cable box. When I try to change the settings for sound/speakers using the A.F.D., 2ch, and Movie buttons, the receiver displays "not used" and i cannot choose different settings. It works great and these buttons do work when im watching tv, the only time it does not work is when im using ps3 so therefore im assuming its a ps3 audio setting problem. i went through the settings and it all seems good. i have all 5.1 and 7.1 settings check marked. still cant change it. it worked fine for a month after i hooked it up, but all of a sudden i came home and it didnt work. i reformatted the ps3 settings to factory and also reset receiver settings back to factory, still nothing. any ideas?
    Are you going into the menu to make these changes? If you are going to make any settings changes, you must first enter through the menu to do it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Are you going into the menu to make these changes? If you are going to make any settings changes, you must first enter through the menu to do it.

the menu on the ps3 or receiver itself? i have not changed any settings on the receiver. the ps3 i played with the settings through the "Sound Settings" on the startup page but have recently just restored the ps3 to factory settings.
    Sony STR-DH700 7.1 Receiver
    42" Panasonic Viera LCD Flat Panel

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    You cannot make those changes using AFD, two channel, or movie buttons. You must go into the receiver menu options to make those changes. AFD is automatic format detection, two channel is just that, and movie buttons are for engaging DPL, DPLII and DPL IIX options. They are not to be used for setting changes.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs