AR Newbie Registered Member

Converting DVD Player to Blue Ray?

I have a Denon DVD3910 player and if it's possible, would like to have it converted to a Blue Ray Player. Is there any technicians on this forum that would know the answer to this inquiry? Of course I would like to retain the capability to play "DVD Audio" as well as "Super Audio CD's" as I can with this player.

It's actually quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by onsight2003
    I have a Denon DVD3910 player and if it's possible, would like to have it converted to a Blue Ray Player. Is there any technicians on this forum that would know the answer to this inquiry? Of course I would like to retain the capability to play "DVD Audio" as well as "Super Audio CD's" as I can with this player.
    Take the Denon, place it in a box and store it in your attic. Go to the nearest electronics/audio store that handles Denon and buy a DVD-3800BDCI.

That was easy!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Swish, that's a real humourous answer to onsights plight especially his question.

Onsight, swish gave you the answer. Just be sure any Blue Ray player you choose can do what you want it to. I do not know the specs of Swishes Denon recommendation so you should check that out. I do not think that playing DVD-Audio is found on most players but always check the specifications to be sure.

I should have added a few extra comments.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Swish, that's a real humourous answer to onsights plight especially his question.

Onsight, swish gave you the answer. Just be sure any Blue Ray player you choose can do what you want it to. I do not know the specs of Swishes Denon recommendation so you should check that out. I do not think that playing DVD-Audio is found on most players but always check the specifications to be sure.
    I have no idea if that Blu-Ray also plays DVD-Audio, but I was trying to point out that you cannot convert the current player to Blu-Ray. Well, perhaps it could be done by someone crazy enough to bother, but the cost would likely outweigh the benefit.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

You can't.

It's like trying to convert a Mini to an Audi. They're both cars, right?

Look at the Oppo 83 or 80 for a reasonable priced universal player.

Your best bet as others have said is to buy the BR equivalent. You can try selling your current DVD player though I don't know how much you'll get for it...

Cool

Only cost 200,000 dollars or so.
    DONT LET THE OTHERS GET YOU DOWN, or dissuade you, this is a very good
    idea.
    They laughed at that guy that wanted to turn a Delorean into a time machine and look
    at him.
    I turned a 63 CHEVY into an alarm clock once, cured that old dozing off during long trips
    problem, but it would only go ten feet before it got unplugged.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

OP, bluray is nice, but what you have isn't bad at all.

I see it upconverts and, if it's as good as my Denon 1940CI, it does a pretty damn good job. You won't get much better upconversion on existing DVD's.

You want Blu-ray, buy a Blu-ray player. It's that simple.

If you want to keep DVD-A and SACD capability, keep your Denon and add a dedicated Blu-ray player. Or just buy a universal Blu-ray player (options currently limited to the expensive Denons or the less expensive Oppos).

Trying to retrofit a DVD player for Blu-ray is ridiculously unfeasible. Rigging your player for Blu-ray playback would require a different drive, different video processors, and a slew of firmware hacks that probably not even the engineers at Denon have tried.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    You want Blu-ray, buy a Blu-ray player. It's that simple.

If you want to keep DVD-A and SACD capability, keep your Denon and add a dedicated Blu-ray player. Or just buy a universal Blu-ray player (options currently limited to the expensive Denons or the less expensive Oppos).

Trying to retrofit a DVD player for Blu-ray is ridiculously unfeasible. Rigging your player for Blu-ray playback would require a different drive, different video processors, and a slew of firmware hacks that probably not even the engineers at Denon have tried.
    Not to mention a Blu laser.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information