Forum Regular

Question Can you name some Kenwood Cassette Decks that were Top Of The Line Models

Both dual & Single I'll start.
    KX-W6020,KX-W8020

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    When I think if top of the line cassette decks I think of Nakamichi. I also remember a JVC that was rather advanced for it's time. One of my personal favorites was the Advent cassette deck. Very well built with features that were new to cassette recording. The cassette was originally developed for dictation work but a few audio companies were able to raise the performance. Of course it was never equal to vinyl or reel to reel. Wow talk about a dead format.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Naks are top of the line for sure Wish I had one.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    JoeESP9 got a TEAC that was supposedly the best, about $1K back in the day.

If I were going to look for a Kenwood, tops on the list might be the KX-2060. However, Kenwood is probably behind at least 5 others...like the above mentioned Nakamichi and TEAC...plus Sony, Akai, Yamaha...

Forum Regular
    I have a KX-W6020 which was a Top of The Line model along with the KX-W8020. Teacs are awesome.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I have a Kenwood KX-W891 sitting on the sidelines and as much as I love and own Kenwood gear they are not what I would be looking for when it comes to tape decks. I love my Nak deck (hopefully I will be able to say decks once I get the RX-202 up and running) and owned a 3-head Teac deck that sounded great and took alot of abuse during my college years.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular
    Well I wouldn't classify myself as an Audiophile but I do appreciate good sound. As along as a Cassette Deck is name brand not something cheap like Electrophonic, or Soundesign that is all that matters to me. I got Kenwood Cassette Decks that are made out of Metal or Alluminum & they are not flimsy & sound Awesome & their feature packed. Weather a Cassette Deck has 2 or 3 heads it doesn't matter to me they both sound awesome even with recording.

With a two head cassette decks there is a major compromise involved. The operating characteristics are different for record and play heads. When a combination record play head is used there is an electronic compromise.
    It is widely accepted that in general Nakamichi decks are the best. That's not to say there aren't very good decks from other manufacturers. I recently picked up a Teac V-7010 for $100 (original list $1000). It's in NM condition with pinch rollers that look new. It compares very favorably with both of my Naks.

As a rule of thumb a three head deck is superior to a two head all other things being equal.

I wouldn't touch a dual well cassette deck with a ten foot pole.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Dual well Cassette Decks are good to.

There are no good dual well cassette decks. They are even more of a compromise than 2 head decks. AFAIK there are no dual well decks with three heads. As I posted earlier 2 head decks are a compromise because one head has to do double duty as a record and play head. The physical and electrical requirements are different for each head so a single record/play head is a compromise by definition.

The quote below is from Wikipedia

While a head is reversible in principle, and very often in practice, there are desirable characteristics that differ between the playback and recording phases. One of these is the impedance of the coil - playback preferring a high impedance, and recording a low one. In the very best tape recorders, separate heads are used to avoid compromising these desirable characteristics. Having separate heads for recording and playback has other advantages, such as off-tape monitoring during recording, etc.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageTurntable
    it doesn't matter to me they both sound awesome even with recording.
    VT- In the end if you are happy with it then that is all that matters. Your original post indicated to some us that you were seeking opinions on getting a Kenwood deck and so the responses were geared that way. If you begin to collect vintage gear just keep in mind some of the info you were given here and if the opportunity to obtain some of the other decks mentioned for not too much comes along take advantage of it and make your own judgment.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Thread Information