Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings

This is a collection of Styx's first four albums on two CDs. I've considered myself a Styx fan since I was 13-yrs-old and Cornerstone came out. By the time Kilroy Was Here came out, I was going backward in their catalogue...not forward. But the earliest Styx album that I had ever heard up until today was Equinox (their 5th album). Well, this collection has shown me that I was missing the best stuff!!

These first four disks are fantastic! Much more hard rocking than the later poppy stuff that I was exposed to. Had I heard this when I was 12 I probably wouldn't have liked it...it would have been a little too heavy for a 12-yr-old FA. But I wish I'd heard this when I was 17. I guess it's never too late to enjoy music. I'm going to be spinning these for a while getting to know a whole other side of one of my favourite bands.

This is pretty cool!

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Thanks for the tip FA. I found one on Amazon for cheap. Ordered it.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    If you haven't heard these albums, I think you'll like them. Very little cheese on them. No one is sailing away and, definately, no robotos.

3LB
    I loved Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight when I was a chirlin. I even liked Paradise Theater, but then Kilroy came out and I was pretty much done with them.

Suspended
    As you FA, I have been a long time Styx fan. I have Styx II on vinyl and love that album. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to try to find this.

3LB
    got 'em in ... similar experience to hearing early Journey's artsier phase, but early Journey was a group of tour hardened, seasoned veterans, whereas early Styx sounds like they over-stretch their bounds or exert themselves. But there is a looseness here that is refreshing given how polished they sound later. Good remaster job on this set. Worth it if you get it cheap. I got this on the cheap from one of sellers on Amazon, which has been a bonanza for cheap CDs of late. I've been catching up on quite a few bands which I thought had been under represented in my collection, until now. I paid $7.49 plus S&H for a two disc set - new. Schaweet!

42 Regular
    Sweet Madame Bluuuuuuuuue...
    Gaaaaaaaze in the looking glass!
    You're not a chiiiiiiiiiild, anymooooooooore!

Sorry. Ahem. Just thought I'd burst into song there.
    Carry on.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Thread Information