Thread: Pavement

Pavement

Well, this is ironic. Pavement's going to be playing their hometown Stockton (where I live), and I don't even like them. Better yet, the Authorities are opening. Hopefully they'll play their hit I Hate Cops ("I hate cops, they're all focking n!ggers").

Pavement to play Hope Theatre
    Print this Article Email this Article Text Size: A | A | A

By Tony Sauro
    Record Staff Writer
    May 09, 2010 12:00 AMPavement is coming "home." For the first time.

The band that pioneered so-called indie rock in the 1990s has scheduled a June 24 show at Stockton's 2,000-seat Bob Hope Theatre.

During its acclaimed 10-year international career (1989-99), Pavement never performed in Stockton.

No official announcement has been made and tickets aren't on sale yet, but it'll be an all-Stockton gig.

The Authorities, a seminal Stockton punk-rock band, is the opening act.

Pavement, formed by Tokay High School graduates Scott Kannberg and Stephen Malkmus in Gary Young's Stockton home studio on Jan. 17, 1989, recorded five influential albums and toured the U.S. and the world until 1999.

"I still consider Pavement to be from Stockton." Kannberg, a Stockton native, told The Record in October. "That's our place of birth."

Demand for a reunion intensified steadily as Kannberg, and Malkmus - co-members Mark Ibold, Bob Nastanovich and Stephen West are from the East Coast - pursued solo careers for a decade.

In September, 20,000 tickets for four shows (Sept. 21-23) in New York's Central Park sold out in three days. The world tour started in Australia and New Zealand in March - Kannberg was married March 20 in Melbourne - included an April 18 headlining spot at the Coachella Valley Festival and has moved to Europe. The band opens a four-night run Monday at London's Brixton Academy, site of its last show (Nov. 20, 1999).

Pavement also plays June 25 at UC Berkeley's 8,500-seat Greek Theatre.

Kannberg, 43, has said Young, the band's drummer until 1992, could be involved in Stockton.

"Well, I wish," said Young, a Linden resident who received a birthday e-mail from Kannberg when he turned 56 on May 3. "It'd be as big as it ever gets."

Contact Tony Sauro at (209) 546-8267 or tsauro@recordnet.com. Visit his blog at recordnet.com/lensblog.

Am I going? Hell yes!! Anyone care to join me? It's a small venue and should be pretty cool.

Re:

Maybe they will get steamrolled to help fill some of the pot holes in the road.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Yeah baby! You need some live Pavement!

The bass player is from Lancaster, PA, just a few miles down the road from me. I won't see them until September at the Mann in Philly. The article you pasted had a bit of misinformation, sort of anyway. The 4 shows in Central Park did sell out in 3 hours, but what the writer fails to mention is that they sold out in September of 2009 and the shows are actually in September of 2010, so people paid one year in advance. How's that for dedicated fans? I would have done the same thing if need be, but I got mine last month on the first day they were available.

Swishdaddy - Pavement rools.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    I read somewhere that Malkmus's next disc will be produced by Beck. In case you were wondering.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I read somewhere that Malkmus's next disc will be produced by Beck. In case you were wondering.
    And I think Mike Portnoy will be playing drums for him, too!

Rae
    We went and saw Pavement at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul last night. It was my lady's birthday and we've shared an appreciation of their music for a lot of years, so we had to go, although the venue is not my favorite (it's a cavernous arena that was originally built for boxing matches) and the nostalgia-vs-relevance ratio was pretty high on the nostalgia side. It was actually pretty enjoyable! No Age opened and was totally lost in the space. Stone sent me a couple of their tracks a few years ago when they were a two piece (drums and guitar) and I liked 'em but now they've added a third member (turntable/sound manipulation) and it was just a morass of loudness. Pavement on the other hand had the best sound of any band I've ever seen there. They played a long set and hit on just about every song I could conceive of (no "Unseen Power of the Picket Fence", but just about the entirety of Slanted & Enchanted, Crooked Rain, and Wowee Zowee by the end of the evening), well over 2 hours. The band members seemed to have various degrees of engagement-- Stephen Malkmus was clearly bored at some points, and seemed to be experimenting with holding his guitar different ways to keep himself amused. Spiral Stairs also started a few songs in the wrong key but on the whole they were tight without being mechanical, clearly reveling in the singalong parts of their songs while experimenting a little bit in the instrumental sections. Bob Nastanovich singlehandedly doubled the energy level of the show, jumping around like a madman and running to the front of the stage to do "hardcore shouts" at the audience. At one point he pulled several young women (who looked like they were young enough to have been conceived to Watery, Domestic) up onto the stage to dance with him. Overall, a fun show even if it didn't compare to seeing the band in their heyday.

~Rae

Nicely done Rae. I'll have to search for the setlist...

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    We went and saw Pavement at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul last night. It was my lady's birthday and we've shared an appreciation of their music for a lot of years, so we had to go, although the venue is not my favorite (it's a cavernous arena that was originally built for boxing matches) and the nostalgia-vs-relevance ratio was pretty high on the nostalgia side. It was actually pretty enjoyable! No Age opened and was totally lost in the space. Stone sent me a couple of their tracks a few years ago when they were a two piece (drums and guitar) and I liked 'em but now they've added a third member (turntable/sound manipulation) and it was just a morass of loudness. Pavement on the other hand had the best sound of any band I've ever seen there. They played a long set and hit on just about every song I could conceive of (no "Unseen Power of the Picket Fence", but just about the entirety of Slanted & Enchanted, Crooked Rain, and Wowee Zowee by the end of the evening), well over 2 hours. The band members seemed to have various degrees of engagement-- Stephen Malkmus was clearly bored at some points, and seemed to be experimenting with holding his guitar different ways to keep himself amused. Spiral Stairs also started a few songs in the wrong key but on the whole they were tight without being mechanical, clearly reveling in the singalong parts of their songs while experimenting a little bit in the instrumental sections. Bob Nastanovich singlehandedly doubled the energy level of the show, jumping around like a madman and running to the front of the stage to do "hardcore shouts" at the audience. At one point he pulled several young women (who looked like they were young enough to have been conceived to Watery, Domestic) up onto the stage to dance with him. Overall, a fun show even if it didn't compare to seeing the band in their heyday.

~Rae
    ...and hope it's just as comprehensive this Friday night. The forecast, although it's 4 days from now and could change, is for some showers and chilly evening temps in the mid to high fifties. The Mann is an amphitheater so it's open air. Our seats are under roof so we won't be getting wet regardless.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information