Thread: Carver TFM

Forum Regular

Red face Carver TFM

Can anyone share their experience with the carver TFM amps. Thinking of buying a used one on ebay to drive ceiling speakers. i just like how they look.
    Last edited by khemopr; 04-13-2010 at 07:14 AM.

Suspended
    The sound isn't bad when they work. My experience is Carver is the most unreliable brand of gear I have ever experienced bar none. Unfortunately, a store I worked at, late 80's/early 90's, TFM years, jumped into Carver with both feet and that stuff came back faster than we could sell it. We used to joke about "sold another boomerang".

I'd think about getting a digital amp, no heat, and placing it out of sight.

In a traditional amp, Adcom I found to be very reliable and cheap on the used market. Rotel would be another option. The Adcom would require adequate ventilation due to higher current creating heat, good bass though.

You might also browse www.audiogon.com

I second Mr peabody's adcom suggestion. you can find the 545 or 535 series 2 amps on ebay or audiogon used ultra cheap and they will run the heck out of a set of good ceiling speakers and you will have a lot less in the amp than one of the niles or other brand of amps for multi room use. I have sold adcom and used them for years and they are very reliable and sound wonderful for the price paid. I sold many of them over the years working in a audio shop and they just don't quit. The most I have ever had to do to one is replace the internal fuses when a guy was running a 5500 at 2 ohms with some pro sound subs and ran it into clipping and blew the fuses but other than that they are very reliable amps.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information