Forum Regular

Question with my setup

I am using Yamaha DSP-A1 7.1 channel receiver and I wanted to build a 5.1 surround. So I purchased Cerwin Vega 2000series (1986)speakers and Yamaha NS-A380, NS-A370s (1988).

I was unable to deliver Yamaha speakers as front speakers but they work great as sole speakers when I unhooked CVs. I picked CVs as main speakers in this setup. I am not sure about CVs output but through my search I found them as 200watt max.

So my question...Is my receiver not handling the CVs and Yamahas together?

Impressions with components:

Cerwin Vega 2000series (Big Mamas): Strong built, Good lows, medium and highs, taking anything you throw at it. I can't find these any more out there. Anyone?
    Precision sound @ 4ohms/20-20kHz/20-200watts.

Yamaha NS-A380 and NS-A370: Honestly surprised with their performance. They have a light touch of synth sound when bass and treble are adjusted to neutral settings. They do their job well. Well built, bang for the buck if you find pristine used ones like mine. A380s- 8ohms/10-120watts

Yamaha DSP-A1: Still figuring them out

Suspended
    I may be tired but I missed your problem or question. You wanted to know if your receiver can handle the speakers but did something happen to make you think it couldn't? CV's are pretty efficient so the receiver should handle them unless the 4 ohms will give it a problem.

I had a DSP-A1 before, so I may be able to help. I'm a little confused about your question as well. I used mine to drive 5 Def Tech speakers with no problems in my HT. Is your source material multi-channel type or 2-channel stereo?

By the way, nice woodwork in your place. My old house had similar trim and baseboards, but in my current place its all painted (not as nice).
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Forum Regular
    May be I was tired when I posted it...

I am getting a vague low sound from Yamaha NS-A380s (front speakers) when I connect CVs (main speakers) along (4 channel set up) through Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver.

But when I hook these two pairs independently, they really come to life.

DSP-A1 has a optional switch for 4ohms or 8ohms set up. I use it when I hook CVs as they are 4ohms.

The source material is CD with multiple channel.

What could be the problem?
    Yamaha DSP A1
    Denon DN 650F CD Player
    Cerwin Vega 2000 series(Main.1)
    Klipsch KG 4.2 (Main.2)
    Yamaha NS-A380
    Yamaha NS-A370 (Back)

Suspended
    Any idea what the sensitivity is on the Yamaha? I suspect the CV's being 4 ohm and probably more efficient/sensitive, they are simply drowning out the Yamaha.

Forum Regular
    I am not sure what you mean by sensitivity. Yamaha speakers or AV receiver?

Yamaha speakers NS-A380

Power Rating: 20-120 watts RMS

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

AV receiver can handle both 4 and 8ohms.

Sorry if I haven't cleared your doubt.
    Yamaha DSP A1
    Denon DN 650F CD Player
    Klipsch KG 4.2 (Main.2)
    Yamaha NS-A380
    Yamaha NS-A370 (Back)

Suspended
    To try to make this simple your 4 ohm speaker will draw roughly twice the power from your receiver as an 8 ohm speaker. This in itself might drown out the Yamaha speaker.

Sensitivity is how loud a speaker will play with a given input power. So, for example, if the CV was 100 dB efficient where the Yamaha was 94dB efficient, the CV would roughly sound 4 times as loud with the same amount of input signal.

If this is the case you won't be able to use them at the same time hooked to A/B speaker outputs. I mean, you could, but as you hear you won't be able to hear one pair. This is corrected in a 5.1 set up via the receiver's internal volume/speaker level settings. But with A/B there is no way to match levels.

I think you've confused two concepts. An increase of 6 dB does not sound 4 times as loud. An increase of 6 dB might require 4 times the power, but the perception of sounding twice as loud generally regarded as more on the order of 10 dB. 4 times as loud would therefore be an increase of 20 dB.

Suspended
    It really depends on what type of decibel you are referring to but 3dB gain is about twice as loud.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html

Suspended
    Here's another way to look at it: http://everything2.com/title/Speaker+efficiency

I think you are right though, double the amp power gives twice the dB but later in the first article and I believe this one says 10dB is perceived as doubling the SPL. I know room effects blows a lot of these measurements but I can't see how these receivers settings can be accurate in the .5 or 1 dB steps. 3dB seems like a pretty good jump in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by DolbyPro
    May be I was tired when I posted it...

I am getting a vague low sound from Yamaha NS-A380s (front speakers) when I connect CVs (main speakers) along (4 channel set up) through Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver.
    The DSP-A1 is rated @ 110W X 5, but also has front "effects" channels ( X 2) that are rated much lower (30W??). Are you using the front effect connection for your A380s? If so, that may be the problem.

When I was using my DSP-A1, I simply used the 5.1 setup and never bothered with the front effect amp, so I don't know from experience.
    It's a disease, really.
    Sony
    Denon
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Forum Regular
    The DSP-A1 is rated @ 110W X 5, but also has front "effects" channels ( X 2) that are rated much lower (30W??). Are you using the front effect connection for your A380s? If so, that may be the problem.

When I was using my DSP-A1, I simply used the 5.1 setup and never bothered with the front effect amp, so I don't know from experience.
    I guess you hit the crux of my problem.

So if not front channel, What would you suggest? Center or Rear channel setup?

By the way my music source is mostly CD audio . Occasionally I watch movies. I am planning to have DVD-audio music collection soon.

One more addition to speakers: Klipsch KG 4.2...a simple Wow! from last two days of listening. I purchased for $175.00. Pretty nice cosmetically....want to paint them with RGB(r, g, b) (255, 127, 0). My first experience with horn speakers.
    Yamaha DSP A1
    Denon DN 650F CD Player
    Klipsch KG 4.2 (Main.2)
    Yamaha NS-A380
    Yamaha NS-A370 (Back)

If you haven't already done so, try connecting the secondary pair of speakers to the rear channel. You'll have to decide which set of speakers sound the best together. I don't have experience mixing and matching speakers as others do in this forum.
    It's a disease, really.
    Sony
    Denon
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Suspended
    Those brands aren't going to mix very well. i'd tried to latch on to more of what ever brand you like the best to end up with a matched set.

Forum Regular
    Looks like it Mr.Peabody. I disconnected the front channel speakers as DSP-A1 has only 35W output through these. I still can't get any sound from second pair speakers.
    My source is CD audio.

Any clue?
    Yamaha DSP A1
    Denon DN 650F CD Player
    Klipsch KG 4.2 (Main.2)
    Yamaha NS-A380
    Yamaha NS-A370 (Back)

Suspended
    If this is your amp, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...1&CTID=5002600 , you will not hear much from the 35 watt channels. They are merely "effect" channels, there to only provide ambience or reverb. If you have speakers already connected to all 5 of the 110 watt channels that's all she'll do mate.

Thread Information