AR Newbie Registered Member

Speaker recommendations

I'm looking for some recommendations for a 5.1 setup for my main living room. I know there's a lot of threads out there, but I know it all depends on the room, price, components, etc. There's so much info out there, it's tough to figure out what's good. Basically, I'm trying to get the best speakers I can for under $2000, under $1500 would be even better. This is my setup currently:

room: 17' x 17' cathedral great room
    TV: Samsung HLR-6768W DLP
    receiver: Onkyo TX-NR807
    running my PS3 through my receiver to get audio/video from my pc to TV
    speakers: JBL N24 bookshelf on stands for front and rear l/r
    JBL S Center and JBL PB10 subwoofer

I'm looking for something that will sound good for movies/tv and music. The JBL's are good, but they are kind of bulky looking on the stands and the center channel is pretty big. I'd really like to get something that I can mount front and rear, but if that doesn't bode well for sound, I'd like to get some floor standing speakers for the front and some type of satellite or small bookshelf to mount in the back. I'd also like to replace the bulky center, but the subwoofer is pretty good and if someone thinks it will work well with different speakers, I'm open to that. I'll probably put the JBL's away until I finish the basement and put a projector down there and use them there since I have an empty canvas to place/plan for them. I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.

PSB-B25's for the fronts or the PSB T45 or T55's
    PSB-B15's for the rears
    PSB-C60 for the CC

Also consider the new PSB Image line, the B6, B4's and C5. These are the new models replacing the B line above. They are supposed to be a little smoother sounding with tighter bass from what I have read. www.audioadvisor.com has them on sale.

http://saturdayaudio.com/picturepage...ials_march.htm

Read the revies in stereophile magazine on the B-25's

Other's to consider-
    B&W 685 for Front
    B&W 684 rears
    and the HTM62 for the CC

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2373

NHT Classic 3's or 2's for the Front
    Classic 2's or zero's for rear
    NHT center

http://www.nhthifi.com/nhtstore/Classic

I really like NHT's, they have a warmer sound and the Classic 3's and 2's put out some realy nice bass.

Check stereophile magazine's review on the Classic 3's.

The PSB's and B&W's are a brighter sounding speaker. B&W's have a little better detail than the other 2. I prefer the warmer sound though. The NHT's would be my first choice to pair with that Onkyo receiver. However, any of those 3 brands will give you excellent sound under or at your budget. It's just a matter of personal taste.
    Last edited by blackraven; 04-04-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    You should also give Paradigm a listen. I know you can put a 5.1 together in your budget but I don't know model numbers.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I appreciate all the info! I'll look into those. If I'm looking for movies and music, is it better to go with floorstanding in the front?

Suspended
    It depends on whether your receiver will allow use of the sub when listening to stereo and whether you want to use the sub all the time. With a sub and a decent bookshelf and center that plays down to at least below 80 Hz or so you should be fine. If you don't want the sub on all the time or not really wanting to sink big money into a sub then floorstanding speakers would be best for the mains. I personally prefer floorstanding mains any way.

People do not realize how important a good quality sub is until you hear one. The goal is to have a sound that keeps the fact that you have a sub from being obvious. Of course, you want deep low bass you just don't want it to stick out or be localized.

Charm Thai™
    My vote goes to the PSB's or B&W's.

I prefer floor standers for mains. But its a personal preference and you have to take room size into consideration. You generally get bigger sound from floor standers along with deeper bass. With a large room I would go with bigger speakers. With most floor standers you probably won't need a sub for 2ch music. I use my sub for HT only. Also, with floorstanders you won't have to spend an additional $100 on speaker stands but floor standers will cost more than bookshelfs.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP