JSE

Lost In Translation? Is it me, or did this SUCK?

Rented the movie this last weekend. I figured it would be good with all the attention the movie and Bill Murray got during all the award shows. Man, it sucked! I "got" it but it just was not any good. It kept dragging on and on.

Am I alone on this one? Did you guys like it?

JSE

I liked it. I found it very entertaining. It wasn't your typical love story. Who says a movie has to have a plot to be good ?

It's you.

I don't know what kinda movies you normally enjoy, but LIT is just a low key character study about 2 people stranded in a foregin country, but more importantly, stranded in their lives. One is old and jaded, the other young and confused. Together they help each other out of thier funk.

That's it. That's ALL the movie is about. But it works very well at doing these things, eliciting the fragile emotional state of these people.

In a world filled with stupid movies about stupid people in stupid situations where the big laughs are about hitting someone in the nuts and having sex with the table placesetting LIT is a welcome breath of fresh air.

Yeah, it woulda been better if it had a bit more plot. More of Murray dealing with the film crews. More of Scarlett Johansen and her husband and why such a young couple could be on the rocks so soon. Maybe if his being a photographer had somehow tied together with Murray's photoshoots. I dunno. Something.

But I am glad that there were no cheap laughs, car chases or serial killers in it.

I liked it as well while my wife thought it was a waste of time.

I also liked American Splendor and Adaptation, if that helps you with determining my tastes.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

JSE
    Ok it's me!

Still sucked though!

JSE

Not just you

Its not only you, I thought it was just boring.I was expecting it to be entertaining as I am a huge Bill Murray fan.I almost fell asleep watching it.

weak

Quote Originally Posted by GrendelZ
    Its not only you, I thought it was just boring.I was expecting it to be entertaining as I am a huge Bill Murray fan.I almost fell asleep watching it.
    I thought it was weak and slow. It was sublime, had no teeth in it's humor. This pic was a dud...not a classic or "oscar worthy"

Blah.

JSE
    Hah, I am not alone!

JSE

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GrendelZ
    That about sums it up for me to.
    "I don't think it's nice, you laughing at my mule.
    You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..."

I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed
    I thought it was weak and slow. It was sublime, had no teeth in it's humor. This pic was a dud...not a classic or "oscar worthy"

Blah.
    It got the Oscar it deserved: original screenplay. As another poster pointed out it didn't follow a stupid formula. It was true to what it was about and maybe those who are turned off by it, just are not interested in the lostness the movie is about, which is fine. But thumbs up or thumbs dowb, I think it is hard to argue that it wasn't an original screenplay. It was perhaps the most original movie of the whole year, and you don't have to like the movie to recognize that.

Thread Information