Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Finds

Chicago IL

Talking New Finds

I wanna make this thread so we can start posting here the new stuff we find and not make a new thread every time.

Today I got another classic piece Marantz 2230 in mint condition. Everything is working except the tape light but that is an easy fix.

So far that is my second Marantz.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    What a great birthday find. Happy Birthday and enjoy that beautiful receiver!
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Audio Enthusiast
    Last week a close friend of mine had to move from her house. Prior to her move, she had a garage sale and sold a number of items. However, in the pile of items she did not sell was a Sony STR V5 that she requested I take or she would throw it in the trash.

I'm not too familiar with it but upon lifting it found it quite hefty. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a large toroidal transformer in the power supply.

I've only briefly hooked this thing up and thus far it sounded pretty good. Gotta see what it sounds like with some decent sources and speakers.

Preamplifier: Apt Holman Preamp 1
    Amplifier: Carver TFM 45
    Speakers: Magnaplanar SMG (1982) with Peter Gunn 1st order crossover upgrade
    Disk Player: OppoDigital DVH-71
    Turntable: SystemDek IIx Profile II tonearm, Grado Reference Platinum, Oracle Groove Isolator mat
    Phono Stage: Modified Michael Yee PFe-1

Chicago IL
    Hey squeegy200 this is a very nice looking receiver. I used to have Sony STR-V45 and they really sound pretty decent.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    I wanna make this thread so we can start posting here the new stuff we find and not make a new thread every time.
    Why do I think this comment is directed at me..................

Great pick-up on the Marantz!

Squeeg- You don't hear too much about Sony from that era so I am curious what you think of it. It looks like it is in great shape.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    nothing too special but I picked up a working Lafayette LR-200 receiver and Criterion 2XA speakers (Lafayette house brand) for $20. At that price, I can't believe everything works. (The speakers sound like crap but they've sounded that way since new.)

I installed some shelves in my storage/junk building over the weekend and set up the little system with an fm antenna hanging from the rafters. Now I have music when I'm rummaging through boxes, playing with tools, looking at the weight bench, hanging out and drinking beer.

Klipsch Heresy added to the stockpile....

As many of you know rather than holing up in a bunker in Montana my future survival station will consist of stacking all of my speakers around my family along while with crates full of Twinkies (they last forever) and Gatorade. To help shore up the south wall I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers off of CL for about a Benjamin.

It looks like I will need to replace/repair the X-overs and the tweeters. I figure i can rehab the tweeters and X-overs and still be around half of what these currently sell for in today's market. The cabinets are a bit rough but these are original HRB's so they were somewhat built to be stained by the owner in the first place. When the tweeters went they by-passed them with some type of Super-tweeter which is attached to the top. The woofers and squawkers are in great shape and all original. I spent most of the evening listening to them and I think these are the best woofer's I have ever heard. I certainly can see why the older Klipsch have a following and why Mr.P has been so happy about his recent Heresy pick-up. With everything else on my plate it might take me awhile to get these up and running but I am pretty happy with what the future holds for these making it into everyday use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-klipsch-heresy-1e.jpg  
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Suspended
    Have you emailed Klipsch to see what replacement parts would run? I would definitely go with the factory tweeter/horn. I'd get the actual or direct replacement for the crossover as well but I'm not a tinker. Some one with a bit of "know-how" and solder skills would probably do alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Have you emailed Klipsch to see what replacement parts would run? I would definitely go with the factory tweeter/horn. I'd get the actual or direct replacement for the crossover as well but I'm not a tinker. Some one with a bit of "know-how" and solder skills would probably do alright.

Actually this site was recommended to me;

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

They can rebuild the X-overs and sell a replacement tweeter that is supposed to be a upgrade. Looking at my finances and seeing how/when I can swing this.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    I just got this beautiful Teac W-760R double cassette deck.

Does that have a remote?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Chicago IL
    Yeah, it comes with the remote. Auto reverse also!

Suspended
    TEAC made some very good cassette decks, the ones built in Japan.

I do not care for auto-reverse. I have yet to hear one where the heads were aligned the same each direction. I could always hear a difference from one direction versus the other. The frequency response would be different. Not night and day but enough that I noticed.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    NOS Motorola 12AX7's for $8!! Let the rolling begin!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Yeah, it comes with the remote. Auto reverse also!
    I had a 3-head Teac tape deck that I got about 10 years of heavy use from. It was great deck and knowing what I know now I was an idiot for letting it go ratherthan repairing it.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Suspended
    TEAC was what my last deck was. I bought it in the 80's and it lived through some heavy use from me. I sold it some years back to a friend with all my cassettes. The deck had the built in DBX noise reduction, any one remember or hear of that? Good idea but if you used it the tape wouldn't sound right on any other deck. I experimented with it but didn't use it much. So DBX became one of those ideas that didn't last long.

Chicago IL
    Today I was lucky enough to get in mint condition Kenwood KA-7100 amplifier. Beautiful silver amplifier. It is rated 60wpc and was made 1977 - 1980. I am so excited, it is like new, like I just bought it. Here is a picture of it.
    (sorry thekid but another kenwood amp and I couldn't resist it )

Pecrobet likes this.

DAKATA, the door cover on that cassette deck looks like the one on my V-7010. Is that door cover metal? Just curious.

BTW: Nice looking amp.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    DAKATA, the door cover on that cassette deck looks like the one on my V-7010. Is that door cover metal? Just curious.

BTW: Nice looking amp.

No they are plastic, it looks like metal silver but it is plastic silver.
    Last edited by dakatabg; 05-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Daks

No need to apologize you cannot walk away from something like that. I think you will like that amp very much. I use a KA-8100/KT-8300 tuner combo for bedroom 2-channel set-up and it works very well with the Dynaco's.

Now that you have the amp you need to match it up with a KT-7500 tuner or higher and you will be set. Even though it looks very nice from the outside make sure you give the inside a good cleaning.

Fantastic looking vintage Kenwood amp!
    Congrats!
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    Here we go again, today I was looking on craigslist and I saw a guy selling this Kenwood KM-207 power amplifier. I couldn't miss that especially for the price of $20. It is in mint condition. Here is a picture.

Suspended
    That is a deal.

For that price I'd have bought it myself.

Chicago IL
    Yeah and he just had posted it so I was lucky to be the first one to claim it.

Chicago IL
    Here comes another beast I just bought for $20 bucks. Like new with remote and manual PIONEER VSX-D906S surround receiver.

The lady had a garage sale and I was passing by and saw the receiver and I pulled over on the side. I went there and I said how much? She said give me an offer. I was like $20 and she said it is yours. I knew it was worth a lot more.

Here is the link:

http://www.pioneer-america.com/PUSA/...SX-D906S?tab=B

I can't believe it was 1,210.00 when new. I got a great deal and it is perfectly working with many inputs on the back.

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information