I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Keeping up with Dakatabg and PoppaC...

After seeing the nice pick-ups made by Daks and Pops this week I felt my title as Master of the Thrift Store score was being threatened so I thought I'd go out today and defend the title......

I was looking through CL ads yesterday and saw some Kenwood gear mentioned so I stopped there first thing and picked up the following for the princely sum of $25......

Kenwood KA 1100SD Integrated Amp
    Kenwood GE 1100 Graphic Equalizer (In honor of Daks...)
    Kenwood Basic T-2 Tuner
    Yamaha CD-3 CD player
    Yamaha DT-2 Digital timer
    Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette Deck

Cosmetically there are all in great shape despite how my cheap camera might make them appear. All came in their original boxes and had the owner's manuals as well as connector cables. The T-2 and the Nak deck were throw ins because the owner says they did not work. It appears he was rght with the T-2 because even though it powers up you can not change the stations and there is no sound. Does not seem to impressive in any case but it is the first one of those I have ever seen. the Nak deck has an issue with the automatic loading mechanism. I quick look at the mechanism shows the belt has come loose so i need to find out how it fits in there and then my guess is that I will have a fully functioning deck.

The amp is a beast but is in perfect working condition. running it with some test speakers just to make sure there are no issues. It retailed for around $700 in 1985 and I think predates the Kenwood Basic series but seems to share some of the same pedigree. It has something called Super DLD which echoes the DLD drive in the Basic M1 amps. The GE 1100 looks pretty good and provides quite the light show.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    So, you want to be the intercontinental champion of the thrift? (Kisses bicep) You'll have to get past these guns and let me tell ya', I've been training hard.

I'm gonna rip you in half kid, and then when I'm done, I'll use each half as bookends. Don't worry, you'll be holding up my books on how to kick some audio azz, that'll be my tribute to you. See you in the ring!! (Oh and nice score!)

Chicago IL
    Wow this amp is rated 150wpc. I have never seen it before. I don't know how some people donate stuff like that. I go to the Goodwill and Salvation Army and I never find anything good, never and you guys always come up with something even impossible to find on ebay. I hunt on craigslist everyday and never find stuff for so cheap.

I am jealous thekid.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    So, you want to be the intercontinental champion of the thrift? (Kisses bicep) You'll have to get past these guns and let me tell ya', I've been training hard.

I'm gonna rip you in half kid, and then when I'm done, I'll use each half as bookends. Don't worry, you'll be holding up my books on how to kick some audio azz, that'll be my tribute to you. See you in the ring!! (Oh and nice score!)

NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Wow this amp is rated 150wpc. I have never seen it before. I don't know how some people donate stuff like that. I go to the Goodwill and Salvation Army and I never find anything good, never and you guys always come up with something even impossible to find on ebay. I hunt on craigslist everyday and never find stuff for so cheap.

I am jealous thekid.
    Daks -

Just hang in there the best stuff comes when you least expect it.
    Plus you have got a lot of good gear to keep your ears busy until your next great score comes along.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Dancing lights

The 1100 at night in place with my Basic set-up
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Such a great pic...you really got a wonderful deal kid. How come so cheap for everything?

You're a tuner man. My wife loves FM radio, so I have a couple of vintage receivers set up for her. I just A/B'd a couple pairs of speakers and hung them in the kitchen and bathroom upstairs. Radio is probably the biggest advantage to a vintage piece. Looks like you have an entire Basic stack now. Did they make a cassette deck too?

I found a Philips player, but I'm sending it to Adam. If I can find another worthy CDP, are you into a trade? Have you got any Basic C2 stuff? The decent Philips players catch roughly $75 - 100 on Ebay, just to give you an idea of value.

Such a great pic...you really got a wonderful deal kid. How come so cheap for everything?

You're a tuner man. My wife loves FM radio, so I have a couple of vintage receivers set up for her. I just A/B'd a couple pairs of speakers and hung them in the kitchen and bathroom upstairs. Radio is probably the biggest advantage to a vintage piece. Looks like you have an entire Basic stack now. Did they make a cassette deck too?

I found a Philips player, but I'm sending it to Adam. If I can find another worthy CDP, are you into a trade? Have you got any Basic C2 stuff? The decent Philips players catch roughly $75 - 100 on Ebay, just to give you an idea of value.
    Honestly I was stunned when he quoted me $25 but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. The ad said everything must go so I can only assume he just wanted the stuff gone and I was the first one to ask. It does amaze me what people will let go.

Don't have another C2 lying around but I am trying to work a trade out for an M2 amp. I doubt that will go through but I am not going to jump through hoops to get it as I am very set on amps and receivers. I am not aware of any Kenwood Basic cassette decks but if there were I doubt it would be better than the Nak decks that I have.

Not above a trade if you come up with something. I have several pieces idling right now and with this recent Kenwood pick-up and the Sony ES pick-up from a couple of weeks ago I have to figure out where things are going. I will say however it ends up I am pretty sure I am going to have one of the best dang garage set-ups out there because whatever does not make it the final cut in the house is going out there. I am probably going to look at putting some of the lesser stuff on E-Bay as Mr. P has suggested.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

I'm only interested in a phono-centric pre that bests the Basic C1. Obviously the C2, but I have been eyeing up the old Yamaha C80 which has wonderful phono presets. Ideally, I want to have the C1 controlling my computer rig, and something better for the main rig.

Keep your eyes open for me is all I'm asking. You know I'm good for money and such, but a trade seems like a good way to go for you and I. I think if anyone will enjoy a Philips CDP, it would be you.

Crimeny!!!!

(He grabs microphone and points to the corner)

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

"Ladies and Gentlemen. We now come to the Main event of the Evening! A no hold's barred, Texas Style, Staple Gun, Barbed Wired Steel Cage Match for the Intercontinental, World Wide, Universal, Continental, North American, Inter-Galactic Heavyweight Champeenship of Da World!!!!!"

"In the Blue Corner, the Challenger, weighing 325 pounds, hailing from Pennsyltucky, Ohio. The magnificent one, the incredible one, the master of the Sleeper Creeper Clutch......

Poooooooopppppppaaaaaaa "Don't Call me Fat" Chubbbbbyyyyyy!!!!!!

"And in the red corner, weighing 195 lbs soaking wet, hailing from parts unknown, and your reignin Intercontinental, World Wide, Universal, Continental, North American, Inter-Galactic Heavyweight Champeen. The one and only Keeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!"

"Your referee this evening former heavyweight champion brought out of retirement for one night only Da "Don't Call Me Turtlehead" Worfster!!!!"

(You can guess what happens next)

Worf

lmao...

Chicago IL
    Here is a pic of my system with the EQ

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    (He grabs microphone and points to the corner)

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

"Ladies and Gentlemen. We now come to the Main event of the Evening! A no hold's barred, Texas Style, Staple Gun, Barbed Wired Steel Cage Match for the Intercontinental, World Wide, Universal, Continental, North American, Inter-Galactic Heavyweight Champeenship of Da World!!!!!"

"In the Blue Corner, the Challenger, weighing 325 pounds, hailing from Pennsyltucky, Ohio. The magnificent one, the incredible one, the master of the Sleeper Creeper Clutch......

Poooooooopppppppaaaaaaa "Don't Call me Fat" Chubbbbbyyyyyy!!!!!!

"And in the red corner, weighing 195 lbs soaking wet, hailing from parts unknown, and your reignin Intercontinental, World Wide, Universal, Continental, North American, Inter-Galactic Heavyweight Champeen. The one and only Keeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!"

"Your referee this evening former heavyweight champion brought out of retirement for one night only Da "Don't Call Me Turtlehead" Worfster!!!!"

(You can guess what happens next)

Worf

Worf

You got me with this one......I am tapping out

Daks

Great photo!
    I am running mine with my Kenwood set-up as well. Having a little fun with the reverb on my Pink Floyd tape.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Scott I'm working on a deal which might be the greatest aquisition ever...

Scott I'm working on a deal which might be the greatest aquisition ever...
    You have my attention.
    What deal am I going to lose my title belt over?
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

It's confirmed, almost too good to be true, but it is indeed true. I'll be picking it up next week. Sergio? Drum roll please...

An Eico HF 85 pre amp with original tubes. Fully re-capped and clean as a whistle.

"How much Chubby? $400?"

No.

"$300?"

Guess again kids.

"$200"

Uh-uh.

"100?"

Winner!!!! $100 meager dollars. They had it up for $150 obo. I offered 100 expecting a counter of 125, but they accepted.

I'm absolutely thrilled as I'm hoping this will be a lifetime piece for me, along with the Golden Tube. My Magnavox will do me until it dies, so I just need to get a proper TT.

I will finsich this post with song...

"Joy to the world, all the boys and girls now, joy to the fishes in the....."

It's confirmed, almost too good to be true, but it is indeed true. I'll be picking it up next week. Sergio? Drum roll please...

An Eico HF 85 pre amp with original tubes. Fully re-capped and clean as a whistle.

"How much Chubby? $400?"

No.

"$300?"

Guess again kids.

"$200"

Uh-uh.

"100?"

Winner!!!! $100 meager dollars. They had it up for $150 obo. I offered 100 expecting a counter of 125, but they accepted.

I'm absolutely thrilled as I'm hoping this will be a lifetime piece for me, along with the Golden Tube. My Magnavox will do me until it dies, so I just need to get a proper TT.

I will finsich this post with song...

"Joy to the world, all the boys and girls now, joy to the fishes in the....."

Hats off to you sir! An example of the "it never hurts to ask" principle.
    Looks like you got a great piece at a rock bottom price.
    I expect to see some great pics from you in a next week.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Thanks kid. I gotta say, I'm super excited. I spoke with the seller today and we will try to connect tommorrow. I will now use the basic C1 for my compueter system. Pics will go up for sure...

Talking

Thought I'd update this a bit in an attempt grab the title back from Pops.....

Hit the rounds this morning and one of the local thrifts was having a 50% off everything in the store sale. Ended up taking home a Kenwood DP-R3080 5-disc CD player home for $7. It is mid 90's era and the fact that I can not find anything on it tells me it probably is nothing special. It does however have a wide footprint and allows me to stack it under the KA-1100SD so it will work for playing CD's on my KEF's and for the outdoor patio. Putting it through its paces right now and the initial listening is very positive. Very clean-detailed sound even playing a CD-R. Looks like more than a good return on my investment...

That however is not the best thing today. The Yamaha CD-3 that was part of the gear I originally started this thread on seemed to be having a skipping problem which I figured was a laser going bad. On a whim I decided to break it down and clean it up a bit inside. The laser issue seems to be gone and it is now tracking perfectly. I don't think it will compete soundwise with my Denon's but in its day the Yamaha was a bit pricey so I am curious to hear it.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

The Kenwood DP-R3080 uses a SM5864 DAC with a SM5841 digital filter, a nice complement with a Sony KSS 240A transport. The DAC/filter combo gives you 20 bit with 8 times over sampling.

Believe it or not, the transport is well regarded. To give you an example, when Arcam moved away from Philips transports for its Alpha CDPs, they went with this Sony transport for the Alpha 7, 8, 9 and all SE's there of. It's a solid performer in all areas a transport should be, also sought after by the DIY crowd. The most important thing is it should play all burnt discs no issue.

Don't worry daddy, you're still the king!!

Pops

Thanks-I could not find anything on the Kenwood but based on your info and my ears I think I did alright.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Thread Information