AR Newbie Registered Member

paradigm monitor 9

any body know why i keep blowing tweeters , speakers are roughly model year 2000.i use to have a sony str-da1000es, now upgraded to marantz, i'm scared to turn up the volume because i,ve replaced 3 tweeters already. don,t have this problem with older pair of sony speakers i have lying around...

LMB
    Forum Regular
    How many watts does the Marantz put out & are your speakers able to handle it.
    Is the Crossover set accordingly

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jabuc3
    any body know why i keep blowing tweeters , speakers are roughly model year 2000.i use to have a sony str-da1000es, now upgraded to marantz, i'm scared to turn up the volume because i,ve replaced 3 tweeters already. don,t have this problem with older pair of sony speakers i have lying around...
    jabuc3" that sucks!! you" and some other people that know got hit with speakers from that Bad batch of paradigm monitor 9 series..... hence there maybe other connection problems (But after blowing 3 tweeters I'm sure you would have caught the culprit by now) my advise is try to trade or sell them before you hit a fourth tweeter??!! good luck in what ever you do. (oh and don't forget to Browse the Reviews on the monitor 9)
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Unless you're playing them so loud that you drive them to distortion, there shouldn't be any reason for them to blow. Definitely something wrong here...

I'd pull them apart and check the crossover, maybe a capacitor has shorted out so its not filtering out low frequencies.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

I have owned a pair of mid 90's monitor 7 Paradigms since they came out and I love them. But I have done extensive modifying to the crossovers and have changed the tweeters to a higher end soft dome tweeter which have changed the sound and balance of these speaker dramatically. Paradigm made good speaker back then but the tweeters were their weak point. They are very bright and the tweeters they used back then were very easy to blow when distortion is pushed through them from the amplifier. I would say for one thing you are playing them past the level of the amplifiers ability to provide clean power to them and with them being the weak point of the speaker this will happen. I like my Paradigms because I have done extensive modifying to them but if it was not for that I probably would have changed them years ago. Paradigms midbass drivers are of good quality and I feel that their tweeters took away from what the midbass drivers could really deliver when matched with a tweeter of good quality.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information