Suspended

Can the new 3D TVs be viewed in 2D?

With all the new kraze over 3D TV, I saw this morning that Panny will release their first one next week. All the commercials show people wearing plastic glasses with a cord attached.

I'm curious as to whether there is a switch to go from 2D to 3D on the fly and back, or are they 3D all the time and glasses are required. I did hear that some companies are developing TVs to not need the glasses.

What does one do when they want to watch the tv while cooking, or doing other things where the silly glasses would just get in the way?

How many people are going to run out and jump on this after we all just purchased new TVs last year to get around the digital switchover deal?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    With all the new kraze over 3D TV, I saw this morning that Panny will release their first one next week. All the commercials show people wearing plastic glasses with a cord attached.

I'm curious as to whether there is a switch to go from 2D to 3D on the fly and back, or are they 3D all the time and glasses are required. I did hear that some companies are developing TVs to not need the glasses.
    No, these TV's will be both 2D and 3D. Televisions that do not require glasses are still a while away, as the last demo I saw had some artifacting going on, and the visual window was pretty small.

What does one do when they want to watch the tv while cooking, or doing other things where the silly glasses would just get in the way?
    I do not know about anyone else, but I cook and clean up first, then sit down to watch television. Multitasking and movie watching don't mix very well.

The glasses are polarized, so you could wear them while doing other chores. It's just slightly darkens things, but you can see through them without ghosting and haze.

How many people are going to run out and jump on this after we all just purchased new TVs last year to get around the digital switchover deal?
    I will definitely be an early adopter on this. I am currently set up for half resolution 3D already, I just need the firmware upgrade, and purchase the glasses. My current televisions already do 120hz, I have a PS3 and a few 3D titles, and all I need it to get glasses and I am good to go on half resolution 3D. I have one television that is full 3D compatible and has the port, 1.4 HDMI compliant, the right refresh rate(240hz), and even has the necessary processing for on the fly 2D to 3D. I do not know about anyone else, but I am quite excited about 3D based on the numerous demo I have now seen.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Thanks Terrance. I did realize after posting that the content itself would be what drives 2d vs 3d viewing but also figured in time everything might just be 3d. Is it just movies or will all content eventually go that way?

As far as multi tasking, I was not thinking about movies, just anything including the news.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Thanks Terrance. I did realize after posting that the content itself would be what drives 2d vs 3d viewing but also figured in time everything might just be 3d. Is it just movies or will all content eventually go that way?

As far as multi tasking, I was not thinking about movies, just anything including the news.
    Hyfi,
    Not all movies will be shot in 3D, the process does not lend itself well to all movies. What will drive 3D going forward will be sports programming just like it did with HD television. There will be 3D movie channels, cable will have a 3D network, and movies will also play a big part in getting 3D out there. It will not be limited to Blu ray that is for sure.

I do not think news programming will be in 3D, as it would not benefit greatly from it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

T already covered most of the points. Implementing 3D TV is not really that complicated. The 3D standard moving forward is basically an extension to the existing MPEG-4 format that allows for a multiview datastream. The output would basically be two alternating 60 frame video streams, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. All that's needed is a processor that can decode the new MVC extension, a 120 Hz-capable display, and the 3D glasses.

Playing back 3D material on a 2D TV (or watching 2D material on a 3D TV) would entail only using one of the two alternating video signals. ESPN has already produced a few live events using multi lens 3D cameras. Those games were broadcast in 2D on ESPN by only sending out the signal from the left camera lens. The 3D signal was sent to closed circuit locations for testing and evaluation, and apparently the feedback that ESPN got was overwhelmingly positive.

They are now convinced that 3D TV will be huge, and plan to have a dedicated 3D channel ready to go in June when the World Cup begins. ESPN will broadcast the World Cup and 85 other live events in 3D during the first year. The only limitation is the lack of remote broadcast facilities currently capable of handling 3D. In much the same way that the market for HDTV began to gain traction after ESPN began broadcasting in HD, I think that 3D will be similarly impacted by ESPN's plans.

Two other broadcasters will also begin 3D broadcasts by the end of the year.

Directv and several cable operators are also on board. Although some observers doubt this, Directv indicated that most of their existing HD set-top boxes can be readily upgraded for 3D playback.

In addition, Sony has already indicated that all PS3s will be upgraded for 3D output as part of their system software updates. This represents about half of the existing Blu-ray players, and some other standalone players might also accept a 3D upgrade.

I think the market for 3D will follow the usual pattern for introductions of new widely adopted consumer electronics formats. You'll see some high priced hardware at first that only early adopters will jump on. And then the 3D hardware and TVs will begin to migrate down into the lower price points, more 3D broadcasts will go live, more 3D Blu-ray titles will come out, and you'll see more people coming on board.

Given how simple the 3D TV implementation is, I think that 3D capability will eventually become just another standard feature that most TVs will have. I mean, 7 years ago HDTVs were considered a high priced niche product. Now, you can barely find any TVs without HD.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    In addition, Sony has already indicated that all PS3s will be upgraded for 3D output as part of their system software updates. This represents about half of the existing Blu-ray players, and some other standalone players might also accept a 3D upgrade.

I think the market for 3D will follow the usual pattern for introductions of new widely adopted consumer electronics formats. You'll see some high priced hardware at first that only early adopters will jump on. And then the 3D hardware and TVs will begin to migrate down into the lower price points, more 3D broadcasts will go live, more 3D Blu-ray titles will come out, and you'll see more people coming on board.

Given how simple the 3D TV implementation is, I think that 3D capability will eventually become just another standard feature that most TVs will have. I mean, 7 years ago HDTVs were considered a high priced niche product. Now, you can barely find any TVs without HD.
    I looked up the standard for HDMI 1.4 and found that there are several enhancements coming. Not just 3D, but 4K x 2K resolution (not sure if it was Sir T that mentioned this or someone else), bi-directional audio over HDMI (from bluray to stereo or OTA HD to stereo) and 100MB network speed over HMDI, using standard and high-speed HDMI cables. It also says "recording over HDMI".

Of course, looking up the HDMI spec is about the only way to see what is planned for the technology, which makes 'hitting the button on a purchase' more difficult. I don't upgrade technology every 3-4 years. The laptop is 11yrs, hdtv is 2 and the sounds system is almost 3 (of course the speakers will last for some time).

I'm actually surprised at the speed of 100MB/s. I thought that it would have been 1GB/s, which is pretty much standard speed for computer equipment. Although the average person can't approach 100MB/s anyway; 12-20MB/s max. using cable modem.

Up until now, the TV/video industry had been somewhat immune to the computer industry's rapidly changing specs & features (and not necessarily standardized), which is plus in that regard for HDMI.

I put the URL here for anyone that wants to look at the specs.

http://www.hdmi.org/download/press_k...8_0_061809.pdf

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarus
    I looked up the standard for HDMI 1.4 and found that there are several enhancements coming. Not just 3D, but 4K x 2K resolution (not sure if it was Sir T that mentioned this or someone else), bi-directional audio over HDMI (from bluray to stereo or OTA HD to stereo) and 100MB network speed over HMDI, using standard and high-speed HDMI cables. It also says "recording over HDMI".

Of course, looking up the HDMI spec is about the only way to see what is planned for the technology, which makes 'hitting the button on a purchase' more difficult. I don't upgrade technology every 3-4 years. The laptop is 11yrs, hdtv is 2 and the sounds system is almost 3 (of course the speakers will last for some time).

I'm actually surprised at the speed of 100MB/s. I thought that it would have been 1GB/s, which is pretty much standard speed for computer equipment. Although the average person can't approach 100MB/s anyway; 12-20MB/s max. using cable modem.

Up until now, the TV/video industry had been somewhat immune to the computer industry's rapidly changing specs & features (and not necessarily standardized), which is plus in that regard for HDMI.

A lot of this is what is called , politely, vaporware.
    That includes 3D probably.
    Because a lot are like you, noit going to trashcan a perfectly good TV for what is perceived as a "gimmick" by quite a few.
    Even those who see it as a fun thing probably wont see it as "essential".
    WHY launch a dubious new tech like this when the saturation rate on HD IS 60% plus?
    DESPERATION to move product, probably.
    bonehead manuvers such as this make me think that Sir Talks a lot might actually be
    a big shot decision maker in the biz, like he sayz.
    Or you could blame idiotic moves like this on alien abductions, or melloow mushrooms.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarus

As with many things in technology, just because a feature is built into a spec does not mean that it will get widely adopted, or adopted soon. All you have to do is look at HDMI 1.3, which included deep color in the spec. It allows for a vastly expanded color gamut, but that color range has yet to be implemented on any consumer grade hardware or source.

T has said this previously, but there are no plans for 4k resolution to get implemented anytime soon for home use. The studios, broadcasters, and consumers alike are still in the middle of the HD transition, so it's way premature to start thinking of anything beyond that. I suspect that this, along with bidirectional audio, are more for specialized niche markets or for eventual implementation using computer hardware.

Only recently has HDMI begun showing up on computers and other devices outside of home theater components. All things considered, HDMI is actually a poorly designed interface with a fragile connector design. It also has issues with interference, signal degradation over long distances, and data capacity (I suspect that it cannot reliably maintain a 1 GB/s signal, given that it already has problems carrying current data loads at distances greater than 20 feet). But, it has become the de facto standard for home theater devices, so it only makes sense that more computer hardware now includes a HDMI port.

The standards used for home theater devices have been relatively stable simply because home entertainment has been based on broadcast and packaged media sources. All of these approaches rely on a stable set of formats. As entertainment evolves into more online and networked sources, then you might see more of the fragmentation and rapid migration that you see with computers. Ironically, it's that balkanized, complicated, and rapidly changing universe of online viewing options and standards that has kept them from gaining any market share worth noting so far.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

LMB
    Forum Regular

You will be able to view 3D or 2D
    Samsung has LED 3D coming out this week with the glasses and 3D bluray included

Thread Information