Forum Regular

Speakers for Yamaha AX-570 amp?

First, Hello. I'm new here and I have had the same basic stereo system for about 12 or 15 years. I have an old Yamaha AX-570 amp and even older Inifinity SM-100 speakers. I also have a new Yamaha CD carousel which I can't think of the model number at the moment.

For a long time my home stereo mostly has sat dormant as I opted to use the "garage stereo" where I can hang out with friends and brothers and drink beer. When mixed with beer it sounds pretty decent and I let people smoke in the garage but not in the house.

I've begun to revisit listening to music in my living room, and while my system is ok, I am wondering if a speaker upgrade could make a significant improvement in sound- while continuing to use the Yamaha amp. I don't want to spend more than $1000 for a pair of floor standing speakers, but I know so little about matching stuff up.

Is it worth it to buy new and better speakers and keep using my old amp? I am not really interested in surround sound, but would consider adding a sub-woofer. I don't know enough about the specs of equipment to read them intelligently, so I apologize if I'm too dumb to even get started! I appreciate any help I can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahog12
    First, Hello. I'm new here and I have had the same basic stereo system for about 12 or 15 years. I have an old Yamaha AX-570 amp and even older Inifinity SM-100 speakers. I also have a new Yamaha CD carousel which I can't think of the model number at the moment.

For a long time my home stereo mostly has sat dormant as I opted to use the "garage stereo" where I can hang out with friends and brothers and drink beer. When mixed with beer it sounds pretty decent and I let people smoke in the garage but not in the house.

I've begun to revisit listening to music in my living room, and while my system is ok, I am wondering if a speaker upgrade could make a significant improvement in sound- while continuing to use the Yamaha amp. I don't want to spend more than $1000 for a pair of floor standing speakers, but I know so little about matching stuff up.

Is it worth it to buy new and better speakers and keep using my old amp? I am not really interested in surround sound, but would consider adding a sub-woofer. I don't know enough about the specs of equipment to read them intelligently, so I apologize if I'm too dumb to even get started! I appreciate any help I can get!
    Keep the amp, Its spec's look great and reviews look good.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...ntA/AX-470.pdf

I would consider a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's, PSB Image T-65's, PSB GT1, PSB Image T-5

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT65

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBSTGT1

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT5
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

Hello yamahog12

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Infinity Primus P252
    Single floor-standing speaker
    Your Price $229.99 Each
    Item #108P252BG

Infinity Primus P362
    Single floor-standing speaker
    Your Price $329.99 Each
    Item #108P362BG

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6
    Three-way 6½" Floorstanding Speaker Pair
    Walnut
    Our Price: $995.00

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/

Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Floor Standing Speaker (PAIR)
    Black, Cherry or Rosewood
    Your Price: $719.10

Be sure to read the user reviews on each site.

Hello Yamahog12. The two previous responders have given good advice. So, what they said.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at all the suggestions.

As I look over the specs of speakers, I see some have impedance of 8 ohms, 6 ohms, 4 ohms, etc. I think my amp (Yamaha AX-570) can handle either 8 or 6 ohm speakers. At least that's what someone told me. What does the impedance do for speakers? I mean, is 4 better than 6, etc? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Yamahog12; 01-31-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Cool

Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at all the suggestions.

As I look over the specs of speakers, I see some have impedance of 8 ohms, 6 ohms, 4 ohms, etc. I think my amp (Yamaha AX-570) can handle either 8 or 6 ohm speakers. At least that's what someone told me. What does the impedance do for speakers? I mean, is 4 better than 6, etc? Thanks in advance.
    Don't worry about it.
    I would, if I could, stick with eight ohm, which is mostly whats out there, except for Axioms and a few others.
    Wouldnt surprize me if there was a eight-four ohm switch on the back of your amp, however , they used to include those.
    I would keep this amp till it dies , and even then consider repairs.
    Yamaha has sold their soul to the "mass market" in order to surrvive, and, like Polk
    and a few others, their older stuff is godlike compared to their newer, computerized,
    stuff, which usually shares one power supply with seven amps, with predictable results.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Does all this old Yamaha integrated amp love also apply to my even older A-520?

Forum Regular
    Hello again.

I called a place in Syracuse, NY and based on the speakers they sell, the guy recommended any of the following:

Paradigm Monitor 7,9 or 11, or Millenia300.
    Definitive Tech DT 7004 or ?60s

Of course he limited them to what he has for sale. I also told him my budget max's at $2K rather than the $1K I stated in my first post. Can anyone comment on any of the models I've mentioned here? He did also recommend Magnepan model 1.6 but my amp won't do 4 ohm speakers. Thanks.

I used to work for a high end shop and we sold Yamaha as our better home theater and budget priced integrated gear and I sold plenty of the Yamaha AX-570 and they are a good amp for the money and have quite a bit of power and dynamics for the money and I sold Paradigm as well and they matched pretty well with amp if you stay in the monitor series, I also sold this unit to power Mirage 790 and 1090 i's and it worked well with them but they aren't the same company and they don't make the speaker that they used to in my opinion. I would think there are some very good options out there in today's speakers for this amp and contrary to popular belief your amp will handle a 4 ohm load because I have run this amp at this load and it worked quite well. I think in order for us to help you I think I would need to know what kind of speaker you want as far as floorstanding or stand mount and what kind of sound and music you like. I know with me knowing this I would be able to give you some advise on some speakers to look at that might make your Yamaha sing again.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    So the Harley Guy will help the Yamahog? Sounds good to me! I'm looking for a pair of floor standing speakers that sound great without a sub-woofer and other speakers. That because (and correct me if I'm wrong) my amp is just 2 channel so I can't add others even if I wanted to. I'm not ready to spend a fortune on new stuff so I'm keeping my amp. I listen to a wide variety of music. Mostly rock (not metal), and often acoustical guitar stuff (mellower as I get old). Favorite band is Tragically Hip if that helps.

I have not listened to new speakers in a long time. So I'm not even sure going for higher end speakers will be worth the cost, but I'm going to shop to find out. I don't know much about the higher end stuff and I don't even know what some of the products mentioned in here are (pre-amp, etc.). I do know that I'm not thrilled with my SM-100s though I was when I bought them 20 years ago. I'm hoping to find speakers that are better- much better if possible.

I'm all ears to anyone who can offer up some assistance. A basic question: With this amp, does it make sense to go all out on speakers? In other words, can I expect to make real gains JUST going with different speakers? Thanks.

What do you mean by "all out"?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    All out? Buying the best speakers you can afford. In other words, will limitations of the amp or CD player make the speakers not reach their potential. So if one could buy the $25K speakers, would they be any (or noticeably) better than the $1K speakers if all the other equipment remains constant?

I should also mention that my living room is 21x21.
    Last edited by Yamahog12; 03-13-2010 at 04:53 AM.

All out? Buying the best speakers you can afford. In other words, will limitations of the amp or CD player make the speakers not reach their potential. So if one could buy the $25K speakers, would they be any (or noticeably) better than the $1K speakers if all the other equipment remains constant?

I should also mention that my living room is 21x21.
    They would but your equipment would not be up to the task of bringing out the best in speakers that range in the 25k price range. Now 1k is another story. I think your amp would do nicely with a floorstanding speaker in that range and there are a lot of options in this price range. Audio review has a section that rates speakers in this price range that would be worth looking into. I would look at Monitor Audio, Usher, Dynaudio(but finding a floorstanding speaker in this price range will be hard). PSB would be another worth looking into. I am not sure where you live but if you have any quality audio shops in your area I would go listen to some of the new speakers out there and see what you like. You have enough power for almost any of the 1k floorstanding speakers out there its just up to you to see what kind of sound you will like with the music you listen to. I personally like a smooth non fatiguing sound that is smooth enough to listen to for hours without the treble making my ears want to bleed like some of the metal dome tweeters that are in some of the speakers out there.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Forum Regular
    Thanks. The closest place that carries several different brands of speakers is about 75 miles away. There's a place 15 miles away that sells only Paradigms. I looked at the Def Tech DT 7004 online and they claim to have a 300w built in subwoofer. A pair is about $1500. Others have mentioned PSB but I'll have to look around to see if anyone in Syracuse has them. I really appreciate your help and that of others. Like I said, it's been a long time since I looked at stereo equipment.

Another real basic question: My room is 21x21. What's the optimum distance that should be between the 2 speakers? Right now mine are 13 ft. apart. My only option without rearranging everything is to have them about 6 ft apart. Thanks.

I would take your 21 feet room and divide it into two 10 and 1/2 feet half's and put the speakers in the 5 1/4' of the 10 and 1/2 of the middle split measurement so that they are in the optimal location in your room so that there would be around 10 1/2 feet between the speakers so it is a 2/3d's speaker placement which is optimal in most rooms if the room does not have anything in it that would make this impossible. That is the prescribed speaker placement for most systems but every room is different so it also depends on how your room is. I have heard good things about the Def tech mythos line of speakers but I am not a fan of having built in subwoofers because you are not allowed to reposition the sub for optimum placement in your room. I would rather have a good set of floorstanders and a separate sub I could place at a better location to produce the most balanced bass. I would definitely check out the Paradigms at the location mentioned and see what you think. But also I would keep yourself open to others brands as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Forum Regular
    "I would rather have a good set of floorstanders and a separate sub I could place at a better location to produce the most balanced bass."

Yes, but my 2-channel amp doesn't accomodate a sub-woofer. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing as I'm prone to do. I did find a place about 25 miles away that carries PSBs. IF they're still there, that is, but they're listed as a dealer on the PSB site. Thanks again for the suggestions, and I'll continue to nose around.

Yeah go check them out. PSB has several different series in their lineup that run in different price classes and they are a good company overall. There are speakers they make that I like and ones I don't but overall they have a good product and are worth checking out. And you don't need a subwoofer output to run a sub, there are other ways to hook a sub up without a dedicated subwoofer output.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Thread Information