Suspended

Initial thoughts on APC AV H15Home Theater Power Filter and Power Conditioner

Packaging- Double packed with foam, main carton heavy gauge cardboard, unit in plastic wrap with foam ends. Decent packaging.

Contents- Main unit, a few nice co-ax cables, book that lists features but not why and when you would want to set or change them. Nice beefy detached 12g Power Cord with rt angle plug. (forces you to only be able to use 1 outlet of a duplex depending if you’re a 3rd prong up or down kinda person)
    Unit has a nice weight to it and the detachable cord is a nice feature since I could never figure how changing a component cord, but still plugging into a similar unit with non detachable cord would give any gains.

Setup- Easy enough, plug each component into its labeled outlet. One beef here, no always on outlet, they are all powered by switch. Also confusing, APC recommends leaving unit in ON position but does not state if it protects equipment while off, nor does it explain the need for delays in startup if it is to always be on. It says it’s guaranteed to protect equipment, but does not say it won’t if turned off.
    I first set it to narrow for power setting but the Trim light was always on so I set it to Normal. Again, the manual does not explain why or when you use any of the 3 settings.
    All the unnecessary bright blue lights are annoying and the overall look of the unit is just plain ugly and does not match other basic audio gear looks.

Details- Here is where this gets interesting. I really did not expect too much other than protection and a single turn on switch for my main rig. When I first powered everything up, I put Elements- Spirit River in the CDP and gave it a whirl. Mark Egan’s Bass sounded terrific, smooth detailed and deep. I had not listened to this disk for a while so I had no before and after for comparison but enjoyed the listen. Next I spun more recently listened to disks and got more surprises. Bass, deep-clearer-detailed bass as well as lots of other clearer midrange detail. Actually pretty amazing. The last disk I spun was a favorite comp by Finch, Primus Sucks! Tommy the Cat was unbelievably different sounding than I could ever remember. It’s real hard to explain the difference in sound but I guess it would be similar to replacing all the cords on your components at the same time. In essence, that is what you are doing along with the power filtering and voltage regulation.

Pros- Warmer, more detailed overall sound and bass. Better overall soundstage and lower noise floor.

Cons- Ugly, no always on outlet, irritating bright blue LEDs that are not needed.

So...Is it a keeper?

Regarding the unswitched outlet, I agree. It would've been nice to have a couple. The Panamax has 1 in the front.

As far as looks go, I have no opinion about it. It resides in the bottom of my rack and I rarely pay attention to it. Does it have the look of a classic McIntosh Amp with those gorgeous VU meters? No.

Here's a review of the unit (if you haven't read it already) of the silver version, which I have:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...ioners/apc-h15

He lists one of the Pros as being "Beautiful". A little funny.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by frahengeo
    So...Is it a keeper?
    No reason not to keep it at this price. The sound performance gain was worth every penny and I can overlook the cons, just figured I would list them as a fair review.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to have to buy one just for the voltage regulation alone. You just don't find that in that price range. What does the manual say about the voltage regulation performance?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Thanks for the review. I'm going to have to buy one just for the voltage regulation alone. You just don't find that in that price range. What does the manual say about the voltage regulation performance?
    The manual is crap just like most things you buy today. It lists the features, how to change them, but never what they actually do or why/when you would change them. You can get the PDF right from their website so if you figure it out, let me know.

uhmm I am considering one for my PC but now you talk about it... worth a try with my HT system too Thanks

Suspended

More thoughts.....

More thoughts.....

I'm pretty pleased with what this unit has done for the overall sound of my system. Last night I plugged my sub into the box and the boomy bass cleared up and is again more controlled and detailed.

Yokeshire - Masque of Shadows, which is an HDCD disc although not marked, sounded so much better than I can ever remember.

Morglbl - Grotesk also was much more impressive.

I spun several other familiar disks and heard more detail and sounds never heard before along with all the overall control of the sound.

I highly recommend this unit for those on a budget, not willing to purchase new power cords for all components, or are at all skeptical that these types of devices actually improve sound.

I certainly cannot promise that every piece of gear out there would benefit, but my gear sure did.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi

Packaging- Double packed with foam, main carton heavy gauge cardboard, unit in plastic wrap with foam ends. Decent packaging.

Contents- Main unit, a few nice co-ax cables, book that lists features but not why and when you would want to set or change them. Nice beefy detached 12g Power Cord with rt angle plug. (forces you to only be able to use 1 outlet of a duplex depending if you’re a 3rd prong up or down kinda person)
    Unit has a nice weight to it and the detachable cord is a nice feature since I could never figure how changing a component cord, but still plugging into a similar unit with non detachable cord would give any gains.

Setup- Easy enough, plug each component into its labeled outlet. One beef here, no always on outlet, they are all powered by switch. Also confusing, APC recommends leaving unit in ON position but does not state if it protects equipment while off, nor does it explain the need for delays in startup if it is to always be on. It says it’s guaranteed to protect equipment, but does not say it won’t if turned off.
    I first set it to narrow for power setting but the Trim light was always on so I set it to Normal. Again, the manual does not explain why or when you use any of the 3 settings.
    All the unnecessary bright blue lights are annoying and the overall look of the unit is just plain ugly and does not match other basic audio gear looks.

Details- Here is where this gets interesting. I really did not expect too much other than protection and a single turn on switch for my main rig. When I first powered everything up, I put Elements- Spirit River in the CDP and gave it a whirl. Mark Egan’s Bass sounded terrific, smooth detailed and deep. I had not listened to this disk for a while so I had no before and after for comparison but enjoyed the listen. Next I spun more recently listened to disks and got more surprises. Bass, deep-clearer-detailed bass as well as lots of other clearer midrange detail. Actually pretty amazing. The last disk I spun was a favorite comp by Finch, Primus Sucks! Tommy the Cat was unbelievably different sounding than I could ever remember. It’s real hard to explain the difference in sound but I guess it would be similar to replacing all the cords on your components at the same time. In essence, that is what you are doing along with the power filtering and voltage regulation.

Pros- Warmer, more detailed overall sound and bass. Better overall soundstage and lower noise floor.

Cons- Ugly, no always on outlet, irritating bright blue LEDs that are not needed.
    They are all "always on" outlets.
    Because you leave the unit on all the time, just like a power strip, etc.
    I plugged my monster strip in four years or so ago, flipped the switch and havent messed
    with it since, except to unplug or plug stuff.
    This is S.O.P.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    They are all "always on" outlets.
    Because you leave the unit on all the time, just like a power strip, etc.
    I plugged my monster strip in four years or so ago, flipped the switch and havent messed
    with it since, except to unplug or plug stuff.
    This is S.O.P.
    I am using it as a control switch also. My Panamax had always on outlets. My gear does not have remote control (amp and pre-amp) and the outboard power supply for my pre is behind my whole system.

I am using a smaller monster strip for most of my HT gear along with TV and yes, my VHS machine which is set to record on a daily basis so it needs to be on an always on outlet.

This APC unit is more for my audio system which I don't leave on all the time, only when I use it. I replaced my old Panamax because for some odd reason the main breaker kept getting tripped when the Panamax was turned on or off. I suppose faulty switch.

Thread Information