Classic Quotes about Music

It could be from TV, movies, books, whatever. What are some of your favorite quotes about/relating to music.

Here is the quote that inspired this thread:

You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in eighty-three, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds." But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Another:

"The genius of that band is just staggering. . . . There are two kinds of people: those who get Devo, and those who don't."
    -HENRY ROLLINS
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I've always wondered how the guys in Genesis felt about that quote appearing in the book and movie "American Psycho." It's something I'd love to see come up in an interview, but no one seems to have the balls to ask it.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Frank Zappa

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." -John Coltrane

"God, I'm bored. I might as well be listening to Genesis."

Rick - The Young Ones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Classic Quotes about Music-600px-young_ones_bambi.jpg  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Charm Thai™
    "Rhythm?...I have no rhythm i only know lead."

Jerry Cantrell - Alice In Chains

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Musicians now find themselves in the unlikely position of being legitimate. At least the IRS thinks so.

-Billy Joel

Forum Regular
    The quote below is extracted from an interview with famed groupie Sweet, Sweet Connie of Little Rock, Arkansas.................

Q -- Who has the biggest **** you ever sucked ?
    A -- Huey Lewis............it's a masterpiece.

Q -- Who has the smallest ?
    A -- Peter Frampton.............it is no bigger than my thumb.

Rae
    I always remember a favorite from an interview with Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil in some Guitar Player-type magazine, circa Badmotorfinger... the interviewer asked him, in all pretentiousness, "when did the guitar become more than six strings to you?"... to which he responded "when I bought a twelve-string."

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    It could be from TV, movies, books, whatever. What are some of your favorite quotes about/relating to music.

Here is the quote that inspired this thread:

You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in eighty-three, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds." But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
    I think those are my favorite lines from a movie filled with some great lines. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this afternoon.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I always remember a favorite from an interview with Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil in some Guitar Player-type magazine, circa Badmotorfinger... the interviewer asked him, in all pretentiousness, "when did the guitar become more than six strings to you?"... to which he responded "when I bought a twelve-string."

~Rae
    I lol'ed. Thanks.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."

-Duke Ellington

Elvis Presley said...

...I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."

And how about Whitney Houston, after being snubbed for a Grammy after one of her latter releases; "I'm tired of people doin' work and not getting any credit". Yeah, me too.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

BY: Bob Newhart

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

BY: Bob Newhart
    Hahhahahahahahha, priceless!!! Thanks for the laugh, best one yet!

Forum Regular
    "If I Can't Sell It, I'm Gonna Sit On It"

- Ruth Brown

Thread Information