Yamaha DVD-S2700 => Impressive Specs

Anyone have the Yamaha DVD-S2700?

It plays CD, SACD, & DVD. The specs are quite impressive, if you can believe them.

Signal-Noise (1 kHz) 120 dB
    Dynamic Range (1kHz) 106 dB
    DVD fs 96 kHz, 2 Hz-44 kHz
    SVCD fs 48 kHz, 2 Hz-22 kHz
    CD/VCD fs 44.1 kHz, 2 Hz-20 kHz
    Distortion and Noise (1kHz) 0.001%

These match up to some of the Oppo and McIntosh players. Yet, the specs fail to mention the frequency response flatness as it should. Also, it is not clear what the frequency response of the SACD is.

Searching AR, I found one thread that mention it.
    Good DVD 1080p, DVD-A and SACD player

IRG
    I was looking at the model down from that, the S1800, which looks impressive too, and I only want it as a dedicated cd/sacd player (and the fact that it's $79). I can't find actual specs on it though. Is it hidden somewhere on Yamaha's web site?

Also, how easy are these to use as dedicated cd/sacd players if you don't have a TV hooked up? If you have a sacd disc, does it just automatically play that format, vs. a regular cd?

Forum Regular
    While the numbers look good by themselves, they lack context. Its not an issue of "believing" but rather understanding the parameters of the test and how the numbers relate to how the unit sounds playing music instead of test signals.

First, there are a lot of games you can play with numbers. For example, the S/N ratio & dynamic range are tested at 1KHz. What about other frequencies?

The frequency response ranges are standard for the formats (Nyquist theorum) but, as you noted, tolerances are not given.

However, Yamaha is a large company (they also make good musical instruments) and is prefectly capable of making fine equipment if they want. There is a balance that needs to be struck between the engineering & design team, the production limitations, and the marketing and financial types.

I never buy something just because the numbers look good on paper. While the average consumer is not in a position to fully investigate and challenge the specs, we can listen, preferably for a period of days or weeks. The latter is important as sometimes a unit that sounds initially impressive proves to be fatiguing once we're past the first audition.

Yamaha manuals here

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    I was looking at the model down from that, the S1800, which looks impressive too, and I only want it as a dedicated cd/sacd player (and the fact that it's $79). I can't find actual specs on it though. Is it hidden somewhere on Yamaha's web site?

Also, how easy are these to use as dedicated cd/sacd players if you don't have a TV hooked up? If you have a sacd disc, does it just automatically play that format, vs. a regular cd?
    You can get the Yamaha manuals here.

Yes, I'm concerned too that deep level player control may be hindered by a lack of a TV/ video montior.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    While the numbers look good by themselves, they lack context....

First, there are a lot of games you can play with numbers. For example, the S/N ratio & dynamic range are tested at 1KHz. What about other frequencies?

The frequency response ranges are standard for the formats (Nyquist theorum) but, as you noted, tolerances are not given.

However, Yamaha is a large company (they also make good musical instruments) and is prefectly capable of making fine equipment if they want. There is a balance that needs to be struck between the engineering & design team, the production limitations, and the marketing and financial types.

I never buy something just because the numbers look good on paper. While the average consumer is not in a position to fully investigate and challenge the specs, we can listen, preferably for a period of days or weeks. The latter is important as sometimes a unit that sounds initially impressive proves to be fatiguing once we're past the first audition.
    Yes, your are correct.

It's not clear which modes (CD, SACD, DVD ) apply to the specs: Signal-Noise (1 kHz) 120 dB; Dynamic Range (1kHz) 106 dB; and Distortion and Noise (1kHz) 0.001%.

The Distortion and Noise spec is the best I've seen anywhere, even for SACD. But the fact Yamaha does not say "Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise" and the "(1kHz) " qualification are both bothersome.

The way the specs are written, one might suspect that the DVD-S2700 is better than the Yamaha CD-S2000 CD only player.

Once we step up from CD/SACD to DVD and (multi-channel sound) the market (both manufacturers and consumers) seem to care less about these specs.

Quote Originally Posted by IRG

You should just be able to insert the SACD disc and it should see that its SACD.

Here's some info on the unit. You should download the user manual from the Yamaha site if you have other concerns.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022DV18...=detailed_info

http://www.fixya.com/support/p632087...r/manual-36241

You will want to hook up the audio analog outputs to the analog inputs of your receiver or preamp and you will be good to go as far as Cd or SACD playback is concerned. You don't need a TV.
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-17-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeford
    You can get the Yamaha manuals here.

Yes, I'm concerned too that deep level player control may be hindered by a lack of a TV/ video montior.
    I wonder if anyone else can chime in on using a DVD player for its audio and/or sacd capabilities, without using menus from a TV monitor. I'm thinking a dedicated cd player may be the better way to go because of this. But the only dedicated cd player I like under $200 is a Marantz 5 disc cd changer, the 4001 from ac4less at $159. Not sure what else I would get at the moment.

IRG, see my post above.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    IRG, see my post above.
    Yep, gotcha, thanks. I may go this route then. Most of the "budget" cd players out there are all 5 disc models, with the Yamaha or Marantz looking the best, but none of them play sacd. But all of them seem to be fairly old units. I guess with dvd and ipods, no one wants to make a quality affordable cd player anymore. Good units are somewhat pricey, and I'll wait a while to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by rakeford

Anyone have the Yamaha DVD-S2700?

It plays CD, SACD, & DVD. The specs are quite impressive, if you can believe them.

Signal-Noise (1 kHz) 120 dB
    Dynamic Range (1kHz) 106 dB
    DVD fs 96 kHz, 2 Hz-44 kHz
    SVCD fs 48 kHz, 2 Hz-22 kHz
    CD/VCD fs 44.1 kHz, 2 Hz-20 kHz
    Distortion and Noise (1kHz) 0.001%

These match up to some of the Oppo and McIntosh players. Yet, the specs fail to mention the frequency response flatness as it should. Also, it is not clear what the frequency response of the SACD is.

Searching AR, I found one thread that mention it.
    Good DVD 1080p, DVD-A and SACD player
    Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Yamaha DVD-S2700 .
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

Thread Information