Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ajani

B&W is the British Bose???

I just love when non-audiophiles write articles... you get comparisons like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/te...8cir&emc=cirb1

It's a commentary from the NY Times about B&W's new P5 Headphones.... I'm not sure how much B&W would appreciate the comparison though...

Suspended
    Ouch, that's gotta hert

IRG
    Well if you compare bottom lines, I'm sure being compared to Bose isn't a bad thing. These are for profit companies after all

Suspended
    They sell B&W in Department Stores in London along with some other nice gear. I was surprised when in Harrods with the quality setups they had playing.

The Zeppelin was the centerpiece.......just like a Wave would be here in US stores.

No comparison tho no matter how you slice it.

The Nautilus ain't no 901

I don't think I've ever heard of Bose speakers being used as studio monitors in big name recording studios. I do recall B &W speakers being used for that purpose, though..

Hits the nail, B&W buys reviews across the globe, same as Bose. If you know what Peter Lyngdorf, Dali and B&W have in common then you know why this statement is true....
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Bose makes a 901 - B&W makes an 801. Neither had a room at CES aimed at audiophiles but on the floor space with all the TV's.

nightflier
    Ironically, the NYT article was trying to flatter B&W, and my guess is they were basing it on Bose being so successful on the financial side of things. While most of us would typically buy the Zeppelin over the WaveRadio, most American consumers wouldn't - a testament to its marketing success - Bose is still equated with quality in the consumer's mindset.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Hits the nail, B&W buys reviews across the globe, same as Bose. If you know what Peter Lyngdorf, Dali and B&W have in common then you know why this statement is true....
    So since Magnepan and Apogee (when they were in existence) receive(d) great reviews around the globe (from the same mags) I assume they bought them too...

Re:

It’s never cool to be compared to Bose!
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Suspended
    Those who have read my posts know that i am not a B&W fan but Markw is correct and B&W product should be given it's credit. B&W became famous based on their Studio Monitors, I believe that's what the Nautilus was based on. What is it Kid Rock says, it's not cocky if you back it up. Bose is basically a gimmick product line based on super hype. The "cool" factor sold the 901's in the 70's and the rep carries on. I would have personally taken some Altec Lansing but that's me.

Mother of Mercy...

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    The Nautilus ain't no 901
    +10000000 You got that chit right!!!! I can see both sides though. I'm B&W would sell their souls to have the market saturation and brand recognition that Blose has here and worldwide. But you should be carefull what you wish for. Can you successfully sell to savvy audio mavens AND Grandma and Grandpa Plug n' Play? I'm NOT so sure. In some respects to court one is to lose the other... Interesting thought though...

Worf

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sign me up for the first order of little snail shell HTIB speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That would be pretty sweet.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I'd buy them!

Ajani
    I was more thinking this snail:

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Bose is basically a gimmick product line based on super hype......I would have personally taken some Altec Lansing but that's me.
    Mr Peabody hit the nail on the head!

I was dumb and stupid in 1971 (nothing has changed) and just into audio for a year or two when I demo'd the Bose 901's. I bought them to go with my Pioneer receiver that pumped out 25 watts per channel. When I hooked them up at home I wondered where the bass was that I heard in the dealer's room. Oh yeah, I didn't notice that he was driving them with McIntosh amps as big as a bulldozer. That little box with the original 901's EQ'd the bass up about 12-18dB's. They were up to their tricks even back then.

The 901's have sort of developed a cult following that believe that the 901's were an outstanding speaker and since then Bose has gone down hill (at least the last part is correct). The 901's were useless unless you had a bare wall behind them. I hung them from the ceiling with chain (the only good thing I have to say about the 901's is that they were well hung ). Bose used the same deceptive marketing back then although the 901's were in fact several steps above their current junk in build quality. Direct/reflecting was was OK for some symphonic music but I never quite liked the 8 foot wide Bob Dylan vocal soundstage up near the ceiling. They actually sounded better when turned around.

So I started reading every audio magazine I could get my hands on and got smart. I dumped the 901's and bought Altec Lansing 846 Voice of the Theater home series. Wow, now the neighbors knew where I lived! The difference between night and day is an overused phrase but in this case very appropriate.

The B&W's might not be my favorite speakers but they are certainly very fine products. Comparing Bose to B&W is like comparing Daihatsu to Acura (sorry but I like Japanese cars).

RR6

I expected to be a smiky at the article before I hit the link and read it. It's a comparison that makes sense to me, if you mean they're a loudspeaker company who now markets iPod docks, computer speakers and headphones.

Suspended
    RR6, rumor has it you like your women from there too

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    RR6, rumor has it you like your women from there too
    Correct Mr. P. I like my photography gear from there also. However, on my last prime lens from Nikon it clearly say made in China. I guess, The Times They Are a-Changin'

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I expected to be a smiky at the article before I hit the link and read it. It's a comparison that makes sense to me, if you mean they're a loudspeaker company who now markets iPod docks, computer speakers and headphones.
    Well...yes the comparison makes sense... and I understand why the author made the comparison... but it's just amusing that he has no idea what an insult it is in audiophile circles to compare a respected brand to Bose...

Ajani
    Those who have read my posts know that i am not a B&W fan but Markw is correct and B&W product should be given it's credit. B&W became famous based on their Studio Monitors, I believe that's what the Nautilus was based on. What is it Kid Rock says, it's not cocky if you back it up. Bose is basically a gimmick product line based on super hype. The "cool" factor sold the 901's in the 70's and the rep carries on. I would have personally taken some Altec Lansing but that's me.
    Yep... whether you like the sound or not, B&W has a strong reputation in both the studio and in Reviewers' systems...

Brands like B&W, Revel, Magnepan and Quad are almost always in some Hi-Fi Reviewer's reference system... So even if you don't think squat of the sound of any of those brands, they are clearly not getting by on mere gimmicks and marketing like Bose (does for most - not all - of its products)...

Suspended
    It just makes sense for a speaker company to offer an I-pod dock. You go broke if you don't keep up. What if B&W never made a center channel speaker? The headphones still has me a bit puzzled unless B&W thought they had something to offer that's not available yet. But..... Klipsch, Denon, and even Monster are jumping on the headphone wagon. Actually, with B&W's studio side of things one has to wonder why they haven't done this already.

Here's the deal, it's still an insult in my book until I see B&W on an infomercial like Bose. Then I will admit they took it too far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information