A very very good man died today.

So said to report that Teddy Pendergrass has died today.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...cancer-battle/

I loved his music with Harold Melvin and the Blue notes and then his solo stuff.

frenchmon
    Last edited by frenchmon; 01-14-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Awful, fan here too. Odd, I was just listening to Simply Red's album A New Flame on vinyl. This contains the hit "If You Don't Know Me By Now" which of course was sung by Pendergrass with the Blue Notes originally. Not sure if alot of people know that...shame...

I'll tell you, "Turn out the lights" bring back plenty of memories. I'm not sure that many here are Pendergrass fans.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I rarely see any discussion of Soul/RandB or Funk. They are all still hip and happenin forms of music, just as relevant as ever. Never mind how much has been borrowed from these genres to make rock music and hip hop sound interesting. Oh well, we have each other frenchy lol...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I rarely see any discussion of Soul/RandB or Funk. They are all still hip and happenin forms of music, just as relevant as ever. Never mind how much has been borrowed from these genres to make rock music and hip hop sound interesting. Oh well, we have each other frenchy lol...
    Yeah I hear ya PappaC. Although when I was at Mr.Peabodys house he had alots of soul and R&B...I mean he had some old stuff from the 70's. Shoot....MrPeabody even has some old Pearl Baily! Can you believe that?

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Yeah I hear ya PappaC. Although when I was at Mr.Peabodys house he had alots of soul and R&B...I mean he had some old stuff from the 70's. Shoot....MrPeabody even has some old Pearl Baily! Can you believe that?

frenchmon
    Well, I know he's a collector, but I thought he was all about the rock. Peabody's got some motion in the ocean huh? I can dig it...

Actually Worf is all about the funk. So I am wrong I guess...

I used to play T.P. for the ladies back in my college days. Most of the girls never heard of him but they sure liked him.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Well, I know he's a collector, but I thought he was all about the rock. Peabody's got some motion in the ocean huh? I can dig it...

Actually Worf is all about the funk. So I am wrong I guess...

Don't know about his motion in the ocean, but hes got some 70's cuts. I've never thought of Mr. Peabody as one to put on some Teddy and get busy....but hey, what can I say....lol!!! PappaC your to funny man.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I used to play T.P. for the ladies back in my college days. Most of the girls never heard of him but they sure liked him.
    sounds like Raven had the motion in the ocean....now I can dig it....

frenchmon

That's too bad. I have this album, which was the last he did with the Blue Notes, and a good one:

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

First thing (my condolences to the man's Family" so long "Teddy") hey frenchmon" It's sad" but still a good thread remembering the man.

yes popachubby" that's a Brave and True Statement!! folks just don't give a damn where the music/genres is coming from, IMO' lots a music lovers..."listen" to the music but they don't "hear" the music!!.. therefore the pioneer's gets no respect! even when they're alive.
    that said.. as we are paying our respect to "Teddy Pendergrass" I would like mention a few names "Kenny Gamble", "Leon Huff" they are alive and well, these guys are responsible for the late 60s - 70s and early 80s T.S.O.P(the sound of Philadelphia) that's them.... also the house Band M.F.S.B ( mother father sister brother) they are the ingredient's for Soul,R & B , Funk... and eventually leads up to the seasoning for Rock & roll.

of course "Motown" is the Grandaddy!! but with (Gamble & Huff 3,000 plus songs and a huge number of Golden records they own that period. with Singers and groups like Teddy P.,The Intruders,Wilson Picket,Dusty Springfield, Joe Simon, the O'Jays, Archie Bell and the Drells. to name a few. (they wrote the hits) BTW" you got me too POP" not just you and Frenchy!!?? LOL. Win.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Quote Originally Posted by winston
    BTW" you got me too POP" not just you and Frenchy!!?? LOL. Win.
    All right daddy-o. I think we need to name our group.

A couple of my lady friends are going to TP's viewing. In my "hood" TP was the "sh*t".
    On my way downtown that night I drove by the site of his car wreck. I saw his RR sitting in the middle of Wissahickon Creek wheels in the air. This was before any news coverage. The cops had just got there. I knew it was Teddy. Things looked very bad from what I saw going by.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Teddy P was a great lead singer with the blue Notes and gave us the four step plan to get in the mood:

Come Go with Me
    Close the Door
    Turn Off the Lights
    Love TKO

If you did not get it/hit hit then it was not to be with that song line up...lol
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information