Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tube Help

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Tube Help

Hey lads!

I need some help sourcing some 6SL7 tubes. Technically I need just one, but depending on the cost I will gladly roll both.

I have looked on Ebay and found this...good?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tchlink:top:en

Here's another...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...eblack_plates/

How about this guy?

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sl7.htm

Hey Poppa,

Don't buy tubes from ebay. They are cheaper than other stores, but they are cheap for a good reason. They usually do not meet certain specs set by retailers, so they usually sell other working but lesser quality tubes to ebay sellers.
    Some here have good experience with ebay tubes, but I've read horror stories on expensive NOS tubes.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...e+to+buy+tubes

Read up on above thread for your reference.
    Kevin from UpscaleAudio is a d*ck from my experience, but sells good tubes.

http://thetubestore.com/6sl7types.html

6SL7, what will it be used for?
    If it's used as input/driver/power, then it may be best to match a pair, instead of just replacing one tube. If it's just used as a rectifier tube, I wouldn't worry too much though.

JRA

It's a pre-amp tube for my Golden Tube SE 40. Ya, I'm quite certain I'll replace both. Thanks for the tips!!

I think Jim McShane will help you out via email...

http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm

Another good source...

http://www.tubedepot.com/6sl7.html

Thanks noobinator.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey lads!

I need some help sourcing some 6SL7 tubes. Technically I need just one, but depending on the cost I will gladly roll both.

I have looked on Ebay and found this...good?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tchlink:top:en

eBay doe have some good tube deals if you shop carefully. Choose a good seller and read the descriptions very carefully . E.g. if tube isn't explicitly described as "new", or at least "NOS", it is used. Used isn't necessarily bad; I bought a pair of used Amperex 'PQ' 6922's that have been working beautifully for almost 3 years -- I paid about 1/4 the retail price for a NOS copy ofthe same tube.

Here are a couple of eBay tube sellers who have treated me well ...
    A Canadian retail tube supplier is The Tube Store ... http://thetubestore.com/

A seller who also provides great background info about tubes is Tube World ... https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

And here's another good source of toob technical data ... http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/ ... see HERE re. the 6SL7.
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-04-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Forum Regular
    I buy my tubes from Triode Electronics in Chicago - http://www.triodeel.com. They've been very reliable for many years now. Looks like they have Tung Sol 6SL7s in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey Poppa,

Don't buy tubes from ebay. They are cheaper than other stores, but they are cheap for a good reason. They usually do not meet certain specs set by retailers, so they usually sell other working but lesser quality tubes to ebay sellers.
    Some here have good experience with ebay tubes, but I've read horror stories on expensive NOS tubes.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...e+to+buy+tubes

Read up on above thread for your reference.
    Kevin from UpscaleAudio is a d*ck from my experience, but sells good tubes.

http://thetubestore.com/6sl7types.html

6SL7, what will it be used for?
    If it's used as input/driver/power, then it may be best to match a pair, instead of just replacing one tube. If it's just used as a rectifier tube, I wouldn't worry too much though.

JRA
    If a seller is selling anything other than top quality they will state in in their auction. If they are not their feedback will show it. Some of the best tube sellers on the planet sell every day on Ebay. A load of horse crap.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 01-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaiguitar
    That's a load of horse crap. If a seller is selling anything other than top quality they will state in in their auction. If they are not their feedback will show it. Some of the best tube sellers on the planet sell every day on Ebay. A load of horse crap.
    I'm just regurgitating what I've read from other audio forums. I've never bought tubes from ebay based on what I've read, so I was just sharing information I had read. Of course, I've read the Bose offer the highest fidelity in the world...

I think we all got your comment that you feel my post is a load of horse crap. But the answer we all would like to know, especially poppa, who do you recommend and what have you purchased? If they were the greatest tube seller in the world, then what do you base it on? Other people's feedback of the seller? If so, isn't your comment as good as mine?

As Feanor stated, I knoew he had great experience with his NOS or lightly NOS tubes from Ebay. I never said, all tubes from Ebay are bad.

Thanks for sharing your comments as I did mine.
    As for Horse crap, feed this post to your Bonzai. It just might act as fertilizer.

JRA

As Feanor stated, I knoew he had great experience with his NOS or lightly NOS tubes from Ebay. I never said, all tubes from Ebay are bad.

JRA
    You don't have to explain yourself JRA, I got your message, and it wasn't overstated.

What HAS been overstated is the horse crap. Bonzai, if you're not just posting to be EXTREMELY contrary, can you suggest some tube sellers from Ebay perhaps? This would be productive...

Thanks, Chubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Another Canadian retailer I recommend unreservedly is Parts ConneXion ... HERE.

Another Canadian retailer I recommend unreservedly is Parts ConneXion ... HERE.
    thanks Bill. BTW, I checked your Ebay sellers but neither had my tube in stock. Thanks...

You can do your own research. I've already done enough being a guitar player for more years than some of you have been alive. Yes, guitar players use tube amps too. Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, they all use tube amps.

It's pretty easy to do research on Ebay though not all sellers use their storefront names like Eurotubes, Groovetubes, etc. If you see a seller with 100% feedback and he's sold say 2000 items I would say its safe to say he's not selling second hand tubes without letting the buyer know up front. Do I really need to go any further. I think not.

If you took my post personally I would consider taking a time out. LMAO

What you won't see from me is advice based on someone else's posts that may or may not be true. There are thousands of rumors going around online that many people believe to be true that are 100% false. This is one of them and it irks me when I see it because I know it's not true.

To state "Don't buy tubes from ebay. They are cheaper than other stores, but they are cheap for a good reason. They usually do not meet certain specs set by retailers, so they usually sell other working but lesser quality tubes to ebay sellers".

You are not staing one seller, some sellers, etc. You are stating what you are stating and that is "Ebay is a bad place to buy tubes" when nothing can be more from the truth. I've had better experiences on Ebay due to the feedback system than online stores over the years because on Ebay they feel the pain when a customer is not happy, Many online stores will simply forget about you and point you to their no return policy.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 01-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.

eBay doe have some good tube deals if you shop carefully. Choose a good seller and read the descriptions very carefully . E.g. if tube isn't explicitly described as "new", or at least "NOS", it is used. Used isn't necessarily bad; I bought a pair of used Amperex 'PQ' 6922's that have been working beautifully for almost 3 years -- I paid about 1/4 the retail price for a NOS copy ofthe same tube.

Here are a couple of eBay tube sellers who have treated me well ...

A seller who also provides great background info about tubes is Tube World ... https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

And here's another good source of toob technical data ... http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/ ... see HERE re. the 6SL7.
    In fact I've purchased tubes from The Tube Store on Ebay a while back. Not sure if they're still there. Just another example. Don't think they would be happy to be lumped in with those bad Ebay sellers.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 01-06-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Hmmmmmm......

Yes, guitar players use tube amps too. Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, they all use tube amps.
    Alot of live performance and recording studios use tube equipments, and we all gotta love that. I think I'll hold back on comments, because I don't want to sound like an Elitest Jerk.

LOL I hear you. The tube -vs- solid state issue is a whole other story.

Hey, bonsaiguitar - One thing you might want to have a look at...Notice the way in this forum we're pretty civil to each other. This is not really the kind of place where we use LMFAO and such a whole lot. It's just not our thing. These posts don't just fly by like a text message....they stay here indefinitely. They can be found with web searches. They often serve as a reference to people looking for this type of information.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Whoa....don't lump everyone together on EBAY!

Hey Poppa,

JRA
    Repectable businessmen use ebay to sell too. The way to spot them is easy. Read the feedback. There's guys on ebay who sell literally thousands of tubes a year with close to 100% approval rating. This is the guy I bought my quad of "Gold Lion" KT88's.

http://myworld.ebay.com/jspht8338/

Over 16000 positive feedbacks, and not an unhappy customer in a year!

Ebay is not the "free-for-all' it used to be either. Buyer protection is in full force, especially if you pay via Paypal.

PS. He's got the tube you need too.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

OK, I got rid of the manure posted here. Please guys, if you disagree remember that we're all on the same side.

Geeze, tube guys were supposed to be mellow!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Well, I have to use tube equipments to help me round the edges.

OK, I should've posted to be careful buying tubes from ebay.
    But I don't think I'll take back my statement below. But who knows, maybe this is just an excuse used by retailers to charge more... I think I'll just buy from who I feel comfortable with, and am sure everyone will do the same with their preferred medium.

They are cheaper than other stores, but they are cheap for a good reason. They usually do not meet certain specs set by retailers, so they usually sell other working but lesser quality tubes to ebay sellers.

Well, let's just not get into the whole OTL, triode, pentode, or even tube phonostage.... or should I? Muhahahahahahhahaaa!

There are Ebay sellers selling B stock, refurbished, etc but they are required to post those facts in their auctions. If they do not their feedback will show it. An authorized dealer is an authorized dealer and there is no such thing as some dealers only getting poor quality because they are on Ebay. Doesn't matter if they are on Ebay or the moon. I own two businesses so I do know a little bit about how this works being a dealer myself for several manufacturers. Needs some guitar parts? JK I've also been on Ebay since the first week it started.
    Last edited by bonsaiguitar; 01-06-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Bonsai; This is the last time I edit your reply for content. Next time I see ANY personal attack in your post, your post is going to get deleted.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaiguitar
    You can do your own research. I've already done enough being a guitar player for more years than some of you have been alive. Yes, guitar players use tube amps too. Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, they all use tube amps.

It's pretty easy to do research on Ebay though not all sellers use their storefront names like Eurotubes, Groovetubes, etc. If you see a seller with 100% feedback and he's sold say 2000 items I would say its safe to say he's not selling second hand tubes without letting the buyer know up front. Do I really need to go any further. I think not.

If you took my post personally I would consider taking a time out. LMAO

What you won't see from me is advice based on someone else's posts that may or may not be true. There are thousands of rumors going around online that many people believe to be true that are 100% false. This is one of them and it irks me when I see it because I know it's not true.

To state "Don't buy tubes from ebay. They are cheaper than other stores, but they are cheap for a good reason. They usually do not meet certain specs set by retailers, so they usually sell other working but lesser quality tubes to ebay sellers".

You are not staing one seller, some sellers, etc. You are stating what you are stating and that is "Ebay is a bad place to buy tubes" when nothing can be more from the truth. I've had better experiences on Ebay due to the feedback system than online stores over the years because on Ebay they feel the pain when a customer is not happy, Many online stores will simply forget about you and point you to their no return policy.
    LMAO....indeed. The only one getting worked up around here is you. But you've probably been doing that longer than I've been alive.

I have been playing an Ampeg V4 for approx. 15 years. Is that "tubey" enough for you?

No one has taken your comments personally. Contribute or go write a book somewhere else and put all of your infinite wisdom to work helping to cure Cancer or world hunger.

LOL Yeah, I'm really worked up about this. Looks like the mod took it personal though. It's OK for your regular to tell me to put horse crap in my bonsai though. I see nothing has changed around here.

What does tubey have to do with buying tubes off Ebay? I've contriubuted quite a bit about buying tubes. You are all more concerned with putting the OUTSIDER down than dealing with the facts. Mods help me should I defend myself further. LMAO

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information