tp
    Forum Regular

I want to get my HT started up again

Hi All,

It's been a very long time for me in the HT world, but I have landed a 46" LED Samsung 8000 series tv and a Samsung Blu-Ray bd3600 wireless. On the Audio end I have no choice but to use what I have.

How would I hook up these components?

Here is what I have,

TV- Samsung 46" LED.

Blu-Ray- Samsung bd3600.

Reciever- Harmon Kardon AVR 110 (Purchased around 2001) *** NO HDMI** connection.

Cable- cable company provided HD box.

And , if possible, the wife and kids still have a boat load of VHS they still watch, simply because we have TONS of VHS tapes and the kids don't care or know about the quality.

Oh, By the way I have TIVO as well, however I may not keep that since I have to get a HD DVR box from my cable company anyway.

Thanks
    Tim

Suspended
    Welcom to AR.

Your ONLY choice for video would be to run HDMI from your Blu-ray player and cable box directly to TV. Your receiver has nothing in video connections for HD. If wanting surround sound, and I assume you do, run a optical or digital coaxial audio connection from Blu-ray/cable box to receiver. HDMI carries both audio and video to your TV so you can watch without the receiver being on for regular viewing. When watching movies in surround and using the receiver you will have to turn the TV down or mute it. For the VCR you can either connect directly to the TV or if wanting some surround, and your receiver has some added surround features for 2 channel and Pro Logic, You can connect the VCR to your receiver using the RCA type connections usually red/white/yellow, yellow being composite video and red/white being the audio. I'm assuming you already have a video connection from receiver to TV for your on screen display. This should get you up and running.

As food for thought you can get a Pioneer receiver with fully up to date features for about $300.00. For fully functioning updated features with better performance look at the Onkyo SR-607. It's probably at least a $100.00 more than the Pioneer. Money well spent in my opinion.

Follow his advice...

Mr. P's giving you the straight skinny. I'd plunk down money and get a new receiver, why?

1. You elimnae a crap load of cables with it. You don't have to run separate sound and video cables.

2. Easier sound set up.

3. Easier format switching.

4. Access to newer audio formats besides DD and DTS.

Worf.

Thread Information