Forum Regular

Reccomendations for floor standing speakers HELP!!

I am in the market for floor standing speakers under 200$ and if necessary, 300$. I have a questionare from a different thread that might help:.

a. What % of your usage will be music vs. HT (home theater)?
    I will mostly use it for music and PS3

b. What types of music do you listen to the most? (classical/jazz, rap, rock, etc.)
    Classic Rock and occasionally modern music (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Linkin Park, Nickelback, etc)

c. What types of movies do you watch the most? (action/thriller, drama/comedy, etc.)
    Action. I will also be playing a PS3.

d. How big is your listening/viewing room?
    Medium

e. What kind of receiver/amp will you have?
    Denon

f. Do you have a subwoofer or plan to get one?
    I have a klipsch subwoofer and a yamaha subwoofer

Anyways I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. I also need high quality speakers that really show the detail out of the music. I also like to play my music a little louder than most people. Thank for all your help.\red{}\black{}\black{}

Here are 2 floor standers that fit your budget. I would opt for the Energy over the Athena's. But for $300 you your not going to get great detail, just decent sound. If you have a good receiver and CD player along with some decent speaker wire and RCA interconnects you should be able to get pretty good sound from the Energy's.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

I would take a look at www.bluejeanscable.com for for some good low priced speaker wire and RCA interconnects to maximize your sound.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Ok I am thinkin about getting polk audio monitor speakers 60 or 70. Is there anything wrong or anything to be concerned about with these speakers?

Forum Regular
    I also said these is because they are only 180 at new egg. If anyone can find any coupon discount for these please tell me. If it helps I plan to purchase them sometime next week. Also, is newegg a trustable source for speakers? Thank for all your help.

Forum Regular
    I also found some sony SS-F7000. Are these any good for HIGH QUALITY!!! listening??

Chicago IL
    Sony SS-F7000 are ok speakers! I had them for a while and they sound pretty good but for the price they go, you can do a lot better.

Stay away from Sony, pure junk! I've never been a fan of the Polk Monitor series. I still like the Energy speakers, but for $180 your not out too much money if you don't like them.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Never heard of energy speakers before and after looking at the energy speakers, they also looked like they wernt going to be able to handle anything good. Ditto with the Athena too. Please tell me if I am wrong. (Prefer answers from multiple people.)

Sometimes looks can be deceiving. The Athena and Energy speakers are worlds above the Sony's that you mentioned and I would be comfortable in saying that they would be better than the Polks you mentioned as well. Polk audio was a very reputable speaker manufacturer in the 80's and early 90'd but now for the most part they are not the company they once were and in my opinion I would trust Athena or many other speaker manufacturers before I would settle for Polks monitor line which I have heard are not the speaker that Mathew Polk would be happy putting his name on now. There are a lot of brands now that are just throwing there name on speakers and components that are not the quality that said company was once known for making.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Those Energy's and Athena's represent an incredibly high performance/value point. The Sony's have no business even being mentioned in the same sentence with these.

These products were made by API, I'm pretty sure AA is selling off the last of their stock. I think API sold both of these brands to Klipsch and they don't plan to continue either of them.

Can't beat those prices man...

Forum Regular
    well before i buy them, i would actually like to hear them

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    patrick, Google should produce some consumer reviews for these models. Every audiophile in the "know" is clued into Athena for H/T. They are proven.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.1359
    well before i buy them, i would actually like to hear them
    For $200 or less, you may have to make some sacrifices. There is enough proven reviews to satisfy any sceptic.

Anyhow, good luck.

If you can't accept that Energy and Athena are better choices than Sony and Polk at their respective price points, you're being unduly biased by familiar brand names and it's going to hurt you on sound quality.

Forum Regular
    I have read alot of reviews and I can see they are very good, but I would prefer 3 speakers in each. I also see that you can get them extreamly cheep online so it looks good. I am still leaning twords the polk though

Chicago IL
    Yeah 3 Way speakers are preferred by many people!

Forum Regular
    Ok I think I have made a good decision. I am going to go with the Polk Monitor 70 and would like your opinion. I also went to to a professional audio store and found that they carry phase technology, and had speakers for about 150 each but where bookshelf speakers.

Don't get caught up on whether or not a speaker is a 3 way or 2 way speaker. There are 2way speakers that cost a few thousand dollars. Those Energy speakers use better drivers than the Polks and they will sound better. The monitor series Polks always sounded muddy to me. I would much rather have a 2 way speaker with good drivers than a 3 way speaker with lesser drivers. People here gave you good advice, take it or leave it. The Energy speakers are known for quality sound at a very reasonable cost. Good luck with the Polks.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Personally...

If in your situation, I'd go ebay or Craigslist, get some quality speaks used. All my mains have been used. From my Walsh F's and 4's to my Platinum Audio Studio 3's to my current ADS 1290's. Superior sound, if well maintained and delivered, for loads less.

Worf.

Forum Regular
    Ok I am 75% sure about getting the Polk Monitor 70. I have heard that these have some cabinet problems and that is why you should buy TSI-500 instead. Is this true? Also I am getting these speakers because they are extremely cheep on newegg and I have a coupon. So basically I am going to get them and would like word on the cabinet problem. Also unless someone knows HIGH quality speakers for around 120-150 a piece then please tell me. Thanks For All The Help People.

Forum Regular
    Another thing is that craigs list in the area I live in has almost nothing.

Forum Regular
    I also took into consideration about the high quality bookshelf speakers and came across the polk audio RT55i and have come down to the final decesion between polk audio RT55i and Monitor 70. I have a klipsch subwoofer also with crossover control too. So my question is, which one should I get? THANK FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.
    Last edited by patrick.1359; 01-03-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Thread Information