Thread: What if... ???

Ajani

What if... ???

So I had a bit too much to drink and started wondering:

What if Harmon Kardon bought Bose?

I'd love to see what the Speaker designers at Revel could do with the Bose 901s... I think it would be intriguing to see if they could take the same basic approach (sound bouncing off the walls and equalization) but use Revel's top of the line facilities and experience with Room Equalization to really turn the 901 into something amazing...

Anyway, what other cracked out audio scenarios would you like to see happen???

If that was to happen, it would be the other way around...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    If that was to happen, it would be the other way around...

Sorry, they never promised you a Kardon Hose....

Actually given Harman owns several companies they may acutally be bigger than Bose.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    So I had a bit too much to drink and started wondering:

What if Harmon Kardon bought Bose?

I'd love to see what the Speaker designers at Revel could do with the Bose 901s... I think it would be intriguing to see if they could take the same basic approach (sound bouncing off the walls and equalization) but use Revel's top of the line facilities and experience with Room Equalization to really turn the 901 into something amazing...

Anyway, what other cracked out audio scenarios would you like to see happen???
    I think the speaker designers would throw the 901 design in the trash and start from scratch. There is nothing better than can be done with it.

Room equalization on that speaker would take as much computing power as a super computer. Besides, who would want a speaker that turns everything into a gigantic sonic wash, with little to no ability to perceive an accurate soundstage? Who would want a speaker that excites a rooms modes and nodes fully without even being located near a corner?
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think the speaker designers would throw the 901 design in the trash and start from scratch. There is nothing better than can be done with it.
    Quite possibly... But I'm just curious if a talented team of speaker designers could do anything with the 901 (other than to toss it in the trash)...

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Quite possibly... But I'm just curious if a talented team of speaker designers could do anything with the 901 (other than to toss it in the trash)...
    Elimate all of the rearward facing drivers, reshape the cabinet, use a conventional two or three way design, and install a tweeter. All this would change the fundamental design and goal of the speaker which still essentially trashes the original design. Based on the measurements of the speakers that I have personally done, this would be the only way to bring this speaker into the realm of accuracy, and a reasonably flat response.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Sir Terrence you read my mind with what you have said on this one. The Bose 901 was basically a experiment in reflected sound that made a company a bunch of money in the 70's and 80's because the design was different and some people think different is cool. With the variables that exist room to room in today's households for a company to use reflected sound off of walls that are different in every room as their main output of their speakers and expect a cheap made bass and treble control that they call an equalizer to fix these variables is crazy at best. My main point is that this design has been measured in different rooms and has been proven to be a design that has had its day and needs to retire itself into audio history and let the up to date much better designs prove the weaknesses of designs from the past.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Elimate all of the rearward facing drivers, reshape the cabinet, use a conventional two or three way design, and install a tweeter. All this would change the fundamental design and goal of the speaker which still essentially trashes the original design. Based on the measurements of the speakers that I have personally done, this would be the only way to bring this speaker into the realm of accuracy, and a reasonably flat response.
    There probably is no way to bring the 901 towards Audiophile goals, without fundamentally altering/dumping the original design....

Though I don't like the sound of the 901, I find the concept intriguing (from a non-audiophile perspective)... Bose has aimed to produce large sound from very small speakers, which is very appealing to the masses... But has never been a priority among audiophiles... since if an audiophile wants bigger sound, he'll just buy a bigger speaker...

Thread Information