bba5757

Hello everyone -- going down memory lane...

I am a new member of AudioReview -- but I have been reading the reviews here for a quite a while. I finally joined up because I like this site best (and I like Audiogon) out of all the audio sites I've come across.
    I started out a long time ago (?late 70's) working for a place called Lafayette Radio & Electronics. My brother was one of their managers for years. Does anybody out there remember Lafayette? Would love to hear from you!
    I remember Fisher and Marantz were two of the biggest names back then. I still have an Aiwa stereo from back then. Could now shoot myself for giving away the Aiwa reel to reel I used to have. (so many things I should have kept!)
    I guess my main interest is vintage electronics -- fascinates me. I sell mainly newer-used audio electronics, but I'm always on the look out for vintage --
    Thanks for all the great reviews everybody!

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bba5757
    I am a new member of AudioReview -- but I have been reading the reviews here for a quite a while. I finally joined up because I like this site best (and I like Audiogon) out of all the audio sites I've come across.
    I started out a long time ago (?late 70's) working for a place called Lafayette Radio & Electronics. My brother was one of their managers for years. Does anybody out there remember Lafayette? Would love to hear from you!
    I remember Fisher and Marantz were two of the biggest names back then. I still have an Aiwa stereo from back then. Could now shoot myself for giving away the Aiwa reel to reel I used to have. (so many things I should have kept!)
    I guess my main interest is vintage electronics -- fascinates me. I sell mainly newer-used audio electronics, but I'm always on the look out for vintage --

Welcome! You've got to check out the vintage section of this board. Lot's of people there. Some folks (like me) looking for a deal, others cause they love the older sound.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Lot's of vintage lovers here. As for the others, they've owned most of the quality vintage items at some point. Lots of help and interesting people to mingle with. Welcome!!

bba5757
    Thanks to Stan and the "chopper of lo-fi heads" for the welcome. and I love that Michael Jackson dancing icon. Sometime soon you'll hear from me in the vintage forum!

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Welcome to AR.

I am very much into vintage gear myself.
    Look forward to seeing some posts and hopefully some pics of any vintage gear you might have.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular

Sure, I remember Layfayette well...

...we had one in the Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, NY. Moms used to bring my friend Bill and I there all the time... we would hit Different Strokes (head shop, posters, etc), the book stores, Spencer Gifts, and, of course, Layfayette.

I had a pair of Criterion speakers from them, my friend Bill still has a pair (mint condition - now at his Dad's house) as well a a pair of Pioneer HPMs... buy one, get the other for $1.

And, yup... I'm talking late 70s, early 80s as well...

Lafayette Radio...

Lafayette Radio is as much a part of my youth as the apartment I lived in or the clothes I wore. I grew up in Jamaica Queens, the red and yellow neon lights of Lafayette's headquarters could be seen from my bedroom window. I got their catalogue all the time. My first real bass amp was a small solid state job from Lafayette. Only the J.C. Whitney catalogue held more dreams for me. Welcome aboard and thanks for the memories.

Worf

Welcome to AR. There's lot's of old geezers here. Being one I should know. Like so many others I remember Lafayette Radio. The closest one to me was next to a Dunkin Donut's all the motor heads used as a meeting place. As an audiophile and motor head it was a perfect hang out spot for me.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

bba5757
    Wow - Great to hear from everybody -- so glad you guys remember Lafayette -- Most of you being from New York and near the HQ where they started (and ended I guess) -- Can you believe they did a booming business all the way out in New Mexico -- That's where my brother and I worked and built a lot of those stores.
    And thanks for the welcome to Geezerville -- hard to believe we belong there now (but we do).
    Lot of good equipment you guys listed up there -- as for what I've got right now: I am just now selling, this weekend, a David Hafler Model 110 pre-amp -- probably somebody made it from a kit back in the early 80's.
    I also have an old Altec Control Board 1214 -- can almost hear the disco music, can't you?

I can remeber going to a Lafayette store with my dad. he was an electrical engineer and helped design and build the first Telstar communications satellite back in the 1960s. He would pick up parts to build a radio and even built a Lafayette stereo for us.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

bba5757
    Blackraven - that is so cool about your Dad building a radio and a stereo -- my granddad built a radio back in the '30's (he also claimed to have built a lot of other things, but we think that one was true).
    I also have an adcom GFS-700 right now (picked up from a customer) - what do you think of it?

Another vintage set of ears here to welcome you to the geekdom. As I write this Marillion's "Script for a Jester's Tear" plays (foobar set to random). This is a good omen bba.

Long live tubes.
    Last edited by Happy Camper; 12-12-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    d HC b

bba5757
    Oh, man, I could use some good omens. Thanks for the welcome.
    Does anybody know what a "pre-out" is, or maybe its pre-output. -- on a receiver? Someone has asked me about that, and I'm just not sure...

Pre outs are used to add any further processing gear before entering the amp. It can also be used to feed other devices a line signal. I used to run an equalizer between my main pre-out and the amp on a NAD receiver.
    d HC b

Blackraven - that is so cool about your Dad building a radio and a stereo -- my granddad built a radio back in the '30's (he also claimed to have built a lot of other things, but we think that one was true).
    I also have an adcom GFS-700 right now (picked up from a customer) - what do you think of it?
    Ive got the Adcom GFR-700. Its a beast of an AVR and has good sound with a good preamp. Too bad it only has HDMI passthru.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

bba5757
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper
    Pre outs are used to add any further processing gear before entering the amp. It can also be used to feed other devices a line signal. I used to run an equalizer between my main pre-out and the amp on a NAD receiver.
    Thanks for answer about pre-outs -- I have also realized that those are necessary if you want to upgrade with your current equipment. I wonder why all receivers and pre-amps don't come with pre-outs, would seem to make sense...

bba5757
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Ive got the Adcom GFR-700. Its a beast of an AVR and has good sound with a good preamp. Too bad it only has HDMI passthru.
    On the HDMI passthrough -- I'm always having people say but does it have HDMI? What other kind of passthrough would you want to have?

Thread Information